The 35 Year Old Virgin

MarXus

715afM5IcIL._SL1419_.jpg

This week marks the 35th Anniversary release of the iconic album that made Madonna a world-wide phenomenon.  What are your favorites from this era?  Have you any stories to share about this release whether it was during the specific era or experiencing it somewhere down the line of your Madonna discovery? 

I wasn't fan in 1985 but I can remember something clearly: She was everywhere all the time. Radio, tv, cinema, magazines, newspapers... I even saw the videoclips "Material Girl" and "Dress you Up" at the cinema (why these videoclips aren't available on 4k if they were screened at the cinema? Many collectors must have the 35mm). 

"Like a Virgin" is not my favorite album but I love it because It brings me back so many good memories...

Edit: I find more info about the videoclips in 35mm:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.0d7fb54a4a23499e2ff154556a04084f.jpg

14 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I wasn't fan in 1985 but I can remember something clearly: She was everywhere all the time. Radio, tv, cinema, magazines, newspapers... I even saw the videoclips "Material Girl" and "Dress you Up" at the cinema (why these videoclips aren't available on 4k if they were screened at the cinema? Many collectors must have the 35mm). 

"Like a Virgin" is not my favorite album but I love it because It brings me back so many good memories...

Thanks for this. I remember hearing about this back in the day.  She was everywhere. 

And like you, I enjoy her other albums more than this, but it's a great album nevertheless.

Rare footage of Madonna singing "Dress You Up" at Keith Haring's birthday party at Paradise Garage in New York City, May 16 1984... months before the first single and album were finally dropped.  Her music from the Madonna album was still getting more and more exposure, so her record company pushed the release of the album back to a later date, to capitalize on her first album's hits.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:08 AM, Aiwa08 said:

thank you for the info!

On 11/13/2019 at 2:40 AM, MarXus said:

Iconic images from the era:

7674f8e93a2ba4828c64aa391760459e.jpg

ctyp+madonna+like+a+virgin.jpg?w=800

a0779160006_10.jpg

LAVAS.jpg

The virgin-whore (syndrome) persona! The fact that on the cover she has that pseudo-coy, comme heather in the bed look while she is dressed as a rock, ultra sexy bride while her belt says 'boy toy' - a double entendre. The crucifix that 'goes' along with satin, old school Holywood (diamonds) and satin sheets. Th dandee look in her eyes while she is wearing her heart on the sleeve. Those cat eyes that are having sex with you. The pre arranged double cover because they knew well that a woman named 'Madonna' sings 'Like a Virgin' so they will be burned in the Bible belt. The cookie cutter, sweet, plasticky songs that were strategically put in place in order to promote a universal career. A recipe for success. 

By 1985, Madonna was becoming a world wide phenomenon.  In the U.S. most girls dressed and teased their hair like Madonna.  It is then, she eventually landed TIME magazine cover/article, explaining why she was so hot.  I still remember '85 was definitely  whirl wind of Madonna. She was everywhere.  While the following eras, she still had those who emulated her, but it was never like it was when it was '85. 

1101850527_400.jpg