Five Madonna Single Videos!

Voguerista

Playing off of @RUADJAI's  recent "Five Songs" topic, what FIVE Madonna Single Videos would you advise a person to watch who has never heard of Madonna before? Again, you are introducing Madonna to someone who has never heard of her and you only get 5 single videos; what would they be?

My suggestions would be the videos for: Ghosttown, Girl Gone Wild, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day, and La Isla Bonita! I think this would cover everything from her dancing, her cinematic and story telling talents, her theatricalness, and her love for Latin.

My selection also includes the best directors she's ever worked with

Like a prayer (Lambert) - to understand Madonna as a provocateur, mixing sex and religion

Express yourself (Fincher) - to understand Madonna's relationship with cinema

Bedtime Story (Romanek) - to understand Madonna as a visionary

Human Nature (Mondino) - to understand Madonna as a dancer and her irony

American Life (original) (Akerlund) - to understand political Madonna

But I am so sad not to include at least:

Open your heart

Oh father

Vogue

Justify my love

Bad Girl

Frozen

Great question! Madonna is the queen of music videos.

I'd say Like A Prayer, Bad Girl, Secret, Human Nature and Crave to get an all-around feel of her art and the themes she uses.

I actually had a friend of mine watch the Bad Girl music video once (they happened to be quite unfamiliar with M's work) and they absolutely loved it! A great first introduction, in my opinion.

I must say; you can't make such a list without show casing "Like A Prayer".   To not include that, I say it's time for you to turn in your fan card.  That's the mother of all Madonna videos. After that it's definitely a tough choice.

1. Like A Prayer (Simply for it being the iconic controversial video it is. It showed that she was so head of her time and willing to jeopardize her career over something that people were so small minded about even in 1989).

2. Ghosttown (To kill two birds with two stones. To showcase how beautiful she STILL sounds singing a ballad and how cinematic some of her videos can be).

3. La Isla Bonita (the song has grown to be a huge favorite by fans and non-fans alike over the years. The video is just so beautiful as is she).

4. Borderline or Burning Up (Either one would showcase her rawness before she really became the phenomenon she has become).

5.  Rain (the video is just breathtaking.  She looked breathtaking).

47 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

When it comes to the art of the music video, Bjork is leagues ahead of most artists... including Madonna. 

As a BIG Bjork fan... I would say that's subjective. She has some really amazing ones; Pagan Poetry, Triumph of a Heart, Declare Independence, Bachelorette. She also has some that are too out there, or borderline boring. I ALWAYS appreciate her effort though. 

10 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

As a BIG Bjork fan... I would say that's subjective. She has some really amazing ones; Pagan Poetry, Triumph of a Heart, Declare Independence, Bachelorette. She also has some that are too out there, or borderline boring. I ALWAYS appreciate her effort though. 

Yeah but so has M made some truly awful and uninspired videos - jump , celebration, fever, love profusion, girl gone wild, turn up the radio and of course BIM - her videos have definitely trailed off in the last 15 years imo 

22 hours ago, MarXus said:

I must say; you can't make such a list without show casing "Like A Prayer".   To not include that, I say it's time for you to turn in your fan card.  That's the mother of all Madonna videos. After that it's definitely a tough choice.

What? I'm not agree with you. Like A Prayer is a good video for a iconic song. But it's not amazing or spectacular. And definitely it's not the mother of all Madonna videos.