Sign in to follow this  
oliviergregoire

Questions about the different versions of Burning Up

Original Vinyl pressings of the 1983 album as well as the 1985 "The First Album" reissue have the 4:48 version while CD had the 3:48 mix. The 2012 vinyl re-issue has the 3:48 version (although it's mislabeled on the record label as 4:48).

14 hours ago, kesiak said:

Credits are the same for both releases as far as I can tell. 

I always had a feeling that the 3:48 version (which also used in the video), was remixed by Jellybean. I could be wrong though of course.

At least Jellybean is credited for remixing "Burning Up" as well as other songs.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:32 PM, oliviergregoire said:

So the 3:48 version is the 2nd mix? By who?

It's the version produced by Reggie Lucas. The 4:48 one is produced by Jellybean. The 1st album is basically made of mixes of both. If you listen to the Multitracks, you'll notice that the first takes are usually the ones made by Lucas (Lucky Star, Burning Up, Physical Attraction, Borderline...). Jellybean remixed them when Madonna wasn't happy with the mixes (according to what I read).

I was going through some of my vinyls and I have a Mexican pressing that has the 3:48 version which surprised me because most countries seem to have the 4:48 version. If I am correct after playing some of them recently the Japanese Pic Disc from 1986 has 4:48 while the RSD replica of that has 3:48. -- However the Hong Kong Pic Disc from 1986 has 3:48 :/

And by the way; @oliviergregoire @Bitch I’m Madonna@kesiak @Holger @luckystar908@Fighterwhilst I was going through the 1983 album (even though you did not ask 😶) I found that the Venezuelan LP (the one that has an extra "Madonna" title in a white box with a black border on top of the front sleeve) for some reason has a fade version of Everybody that clocks in at 3:30 rather than the usual 4:57 -- and it sounds quite cool!😊

First of all, there's the 5:56 version, on maxi-single wich is the original one cause it was released at first, on march 1983.

Then came the MADONNA album on july 1983 with its 4:48 version, remixed by Jellybean and producted by Reggie Lucas.

To promote the album, the BURNING UP video was released with it 3:41 or 3:48 version like you want. Every album in america released in october 1983 were made with this new video version.

But only in America. In other countries, like Europe for example, BURNING UP was include with its 4:48 version.

The CD version of MADONNA came out in 1984, so every album on CD have the video version, so 3:41 one.

:Madonna005: