Greatest of All Time Artists

RebelMe

4 hours ago, Chrato74 said:

I looked at the at the complete list and chuckled to see Rihanna and Taylor Swift have higher ranks than Whitney Houston and Celine Dion. Whitney and Celine's gurgles are more on key live on stage than Rihanna and Swift could ever dream of. 

I think it's not determined about the range and vocals. Maybe it is about cultural impact? Or a mix of many things? 

8 hours ago, carloazcueta said:

So does this mean Mariah Carey isn’t the best selling female artist today and that Madonna still is?? Last time I checked Madonna still was? $300+ Million records? Can someone fact check or have an updated statistics lol

Yes Madonna is still officially the best selling female artist of all time - I think Mariah and Celine Dion have outsold Madonna in the US only and Mariah has had more number ones - fuck knows why though - it’s annoying because Madonna’s has a lot of number 2s on the billboard hot 100 ( 6 in total )  so if they had been number 1 she would be even higher on this list but let’s face it - Mariah is selling walkers crisps on TV now and M is selling ( mostly) out on a critically acclaimed world tour and had a number 1 album this year so we know who’s had better staying power ?

I saw this and I was very happy to see two of my favorite female artists in the Top 5. Both Mariah and Madonna are very successful artists. I think it comes down to taste at the end of the day. If you don't like Mariah, then you'll disagree with her position. She does have more number ones + the record that she had with One Sweet Day and also the Artist of the Decade + Song of the Decade awards Billboard gave her.

I do agree that Madonna had a larger cultural impact and her songs are more known/memorable to the public, but I do think that Mariah deserves her credit, too.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:01 PM, RebelMe said:

1. The Beatles
  2. The Rolling Stones
  3. Elton John
  4. Mariah Carey
  5. Madonna
  6. Barbra Streisand
  7. Michael Jackson
  8. Taylor Swift
  9. Stevie Wonder
  10. Chicago
  11. ...

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-of-all-time-artists

That´s a Joke! The Queen only No. 5 and fucking Mariah Carey No. 4.... Seriously???

I guess there was a lot of alcohol involved when this list was created...

The Beatles and Barbra are okay but Stevie Wonder and Chicago in the Top 10? Elton John No. 3??? Taylor Swift??? Oh my god.....

Where is Elvis in this weird list?

Edited by Daphne Du Maurier (see edit history)

On 11/17/2019 at 7:13 AM, wtg1987 said:

Yes Madonna is still officially the best selling female artist of all time - I think Mariah and Celine Dion have outsold Madonna in the US only and Mariah has had more number ones - fuck knows why though - it’s annoying because Madonna’s has a lot of number 2s on the billboard hot 100 ( 6 in total )  so if they had been number 1 she would be even higher on this list but let’s face it - Mariah is selling walkers crisps on TV now and M is selling ( mostly) out on a critically acclaimed world tour and had a number 1 album this year so we know who’s had better staying power ?

Interesting fact;  Madonna had a number of songs that remained at it's highest position in the top 5, for several weeks. In fact, Causing a Commotion remained at #2 for 4 weeks.  It was blocked by two different #1 songs, remarkably.  There were several other tracks of hers that did similar. If I recall I think La Isla Bonita remained at #4 for 3 weeks straight as well. 

At the same time, she had several #1 songs that flew up the charts and back down very quickly.  Who's That Girl quickly rose to #1 within five or six weeks, but then plummeted as soon as it hit #1 for one week.

Songs like Express Yourself, Material Girl, Causing A Commotion  and La Isla Bonita with their longevity in the top 10 are equally as successful if not more than some of her #1's which rose fast only to drop fast.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:12 PM, Chrato74 said:

I looked at the at the complete list and chuckled to see Rihanna and Taylor Swift have higher ranks than Whitney Houston and Celine Dion. Whitney and Celine's gurgles are more on key live on stage than Rihanna and Swift could ever dream of. 

Not surprisingly Rihanna's version of the Randy Crawford song 'Almaz' is nowhere online ?
She'd just been discovered and it was shown on UK TV in a THIS :confused: is going to be the next big thing sorta way.
Vocal Talent is the last thing you need to do well in Pop??

Poor Mariah needing Billboard to prop her up. Look where they strategically put Madonna. The other two are debatable...and Taylor Swift, artist? 

Madonna absolutely destroyed the "we will tell you whom to love music industry." I can not wait to see the end of this love affair with cult leaders in music and politics. Telling people to love themselves for who they are and then putting down anyone who they perceive is getting more love than they think they deserve. (that criticism is usually reserved for whomever they see as competition, not thier fans or voters of course.)

Mariah has a good voice and a few good songs but they seemed "formuladic" and she always seems to have "problem" with others.