Madonna Collaborations (Best, Worse and Wishes)

Guest Ashley

If we are talking about duets, I think M is so unique and always at the centre of attention that none of her collaborations is memorable. There are nice ones, like Justin or Britney, but not enough to make history. Some are bad, like MIA, Prince. The duet with Ricky Martin could have been much better. Actually the Madame X ones are very good.

Personally my favourite remains the one that came out with less fanfare, yet so intimate and profound:

Best collaboration... Madonna with Massive Attack. I Want You is simply sublime, and I would really love to see what more they could have accomplished together. Worst... well... take your pick from her collabs over the past 12 years... all were pretty awful. As for wishes... I think I will go back to my first answer and say Massive Attack.

39 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

Best collaboration... Madonna with Massive Attack. I Want You is simply sublime, and I would really love to see what more they could have accomplished together. Worst... well... take your pick from her collabs over the past 12 years... all were pretty awful. As for wishes... I think I will go back to my first answer and say Massive Attack.

You're right! Forgot about this one! Great song and great version, so Madonna, so Massive Attack. That's how a cover should be!!!

8 hours ago, Enrico said:

This is the song that comes to mind when I think of her best duets.  I've always wished that Joe Henry and her would do a full album together.  Not necessarily him singing on all tracks, but I'd love a whole album of those two writing and producing together. 

Her other duets don't bother me like most fans to the point I need to detest them.  I enjoyed most of them.  I'm the odd man out when I say I enjoyed all the Niki Minaj's collabs.  I especially love 'I Don't Give A'.

Others I thoroughly enjoyed, 'Crave' with Swae Lee, 'I Want You' with Massive Attack, 'Take A Bow'/'Forbidden Love' with Babyface, 'Iconic' with Nas, 'What Can You Lose' with Mandy Patinkin and her collabs with Lenny Kravitz which I would love to see them do something more than what they have done.

6 minutes ago, louis.exe said:

My favourite is I Want You with massive attack such a beautiful cover my least favourite though is Revolver with lil Wayne one of the worst songs I've ever heard. For A future collaboration I want her to work with Kylie or Pet Shop Boys

A PSB collaboration would be brilliant

45 minutes ago, louis.exe said:

My favourite is I Want You with massive attack such a beautiful cover.

The music clip is seriously underrated as well. One of her best and a homage to Dorothy Parker's work A Telephone Call.

1 hour ago, PWCCA said:

A PSB collaboration would be brilliant

I hear what you're saying.  I know a lot of people have some wish lists, but many of those people wish she would work with are no longer producing their best work anymore.  Some say the same of Madonna these days.  I rather her just keep doing what she wants to do.  Madame X is definitely all her.  It might not be your cup of tea, but she used her inspirations to create something different and experimental.

15 hours ago, evolution said:

Best for me is Prince & Massive Attack everything else is shit let’s be real here 

Are you saying Justify My Love is bad? Please I totally agree that Prince & Massive Attack are da bomb, yet Lenny Kravitz also deserves inclusion. 

My faves are Massive Attack, Maluma, Lenny Kravitz, Britney and Babyface.

I can remember 4 Minutes with Timberlake being really popular when it came out and it was considered to be a cool song. It's still played sometimes. So, points to 4 Minutes for that.

People don't always realize that sometimes it's actually good for Madonna to collaborate with the most popular artists of the time because it opens up her fanbase a bit and gives the general public something to notice. I think it's a good choice on her part.

23 hours ago, Ashley said:

Are you saying Justify My Love is bad? Please I totally agree that Prince & Massive Attack are da bomb, yet Lenny Kravitz also deserves inclusion. 

I actually thought of this after I said it, but I don’t really feel Justify My Live counts as it’s not really a duet collaboration but more of a collaborative effort behind the scenes. I would have Jusify My Love added if he was singing or something but he isn’t...  Or offering his talent any other way than behind the scenes. Justify for me feels very much like a solo effort that had help being written and produced. 

Best :

Mandy Patinkin ("What Can You Lose" is such a beautiful song)

Massive Attack

Prince

Joe Henry

Lenny Kravitz

Babyface

Worst :

Kanye West (Was that really necessary?)

Britney Spears

Justin Timberlake

Ricky Martin ("Be Careful" is a great song but her solo version is much better!)

Edited by Daphne Du Maurier (see edit history)