Future Lover

Casey Spooner was an uncredited songwriter on God Control, seeks compensation

It's a demo so of course we can find similarities between the 2 versions specifically in the lyrics. 

But the second part of the extract is substancially different

They kept a part of the lyrics and the piano that we can hear in the back

6 minutes ago, Enrico said:

What lets me down is that I always tend to believe that these "heartfelt" lyrics come from Madonna's pen and reflect her thoughts, but they don't. She just changes a few lines. I hope that at least the great lyrics she is supposed to have written for Pat Leonard's melodies - Live to tell, Promise to try - are her own.

Like you, I had assumed Madonna wrote those lyrics for God Control.  It is quite disappointing to find out she may have just pulled a Papa Don't Preach and just change a few lyrics.  Also, I had thought she and her producers would have compose the music themselves, specifically for the album rather lifted someone's demo.  You do wonder how many times she's done this since she is clever to change a few lyrics and have her producers change up the production, and take full credit for writing the song.

4 minutes ago, Enrico said:

What lets me down is that I always tend to believe that these "heartfelt" lyrics come from Madonna's pen and reflect her thoughts, but they don't. She just changes a few lines. Pity cause the God Control intro lyrics are definitely some of the greatest lyrics of the album. I hope that at least the great lyrics she is supposed to have written for Pat Leonard's melodies - Live to tell, Promise to try - are her own.

I agree

BTW we don't know the process and so we don't know if she has written something before he has done this demo

2 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Like you, I had assumed Madonna wrote those lyrics for God Control.  It is quite disappointing to find out she may have just pulled a Papa Don't Preach and just change a few lyrics.  Also, I had thought she and her producers would have compose the music themselves, specifically for the album rather lifted someone's demo.  You do wonder how many times she's done this since she is clever to go on and change a few lyrics and have her producers change up the production, and take full credit for writing the song.

We don't know how much he was involved in the process. Maybe they have done a demo and send it to him so he could work on it and he did this demo. or maybe they just "bought" a demo that he had done previously.

He wouldn't be the first and the last to sue Madonna to get some lights

3 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Like you, I had assumed Madonna wrote those lyrics for God Control.  It is quite disappointing to find out she may have just pulled a Papa Don't Preach and just change a few lyrics.  Also, I had thought she and her producers would have compose the music themselves, specifically for the album rather lifted someone's demo.  You do wonder how many times she's done this since she is clever to change a few lyrics and have her producers change up the production, and take full credit for writing the song.

I think it happened many times, and we know from the Hard Candy and MDNA demos.

I have my doubts for Masterpiece too although she was the only one to talk at the Golden Globes.

For Papa you can be sure the changes were minimal, the song was written already.

For the first album we know that they agreed on credits.

That is why I hold on the Pat Leonard songs, because it was just the two of them, and he always said he just wrote the music. And the lyrics to his songs are the greatest.

58 minutes ago, madenis said:

We don't know how much he was involved in the process. Maybe they have done a demo and send it to him so he could work on it and he did this demo. or maybe they just "bought" a demo that he had done previously.

He wouldn't be the first and the last to sue Madonna to get some lights

Doesn't matter.  It's clear the song wasn't a brain child of Madonna's from scratch, kinda like @Enricois saying where we believe many of Pat Leonard and Madonna songs were specifically written themselves for a particular album.   I realize she's always taken other people's songs like Holiday, Open Your Heart, Like A Virgin and even Ray of Light, but I guess some of us thought God Control was specifically something she came up with at least lyrically.

39 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Personally I think it sounds like his anger should be more directed towards Mirwais than Madonna, it sounds like Mirwais is the one who’s betrayed him here.

Yeah, but in the end, it's tied to Madonna's name as well as her touring the song.  I can understand the frustration.  Though, it's not like the song is really making any money, but again it is part of her tour which is making money.

53 minutes ago, diesel6888 said:

Maybe he should have negotiated a better deal before putting his name to it or handing over the demo?

To negotiate a deal, he would have had known that Madonna was using it.  It sounds like he had no idea Mirwais used it for Madonna's album.  I would think the right thing to do is Mirwais to contact this guy and tell him that they were using his demo.  After all, it was his song.