Future Lover

Casey Spooner was an uncredited songwriter on God Control, seeks compensation

2 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

I am not sure that it has been established that Mirwais and M did not write the song.  He was cleaning up and working the demo.  Mirwais dismissed his contribution and fixed it again.  

Well according to Spooner, the song was pretty much conceived by Mirwais and then Spooner came in afterwards.  So no, Madonna did not really conceive this song.  If anything, Mirwais was the key writer of this song and Spooner came in and made more changes and made a demo of it.  The thing people are not considering that this guy had no idea Madonna was going to use this track. I gather that Mirwais was the key writer, so that made him think he had free reign on the song.  He obviously gave Madonna a listen to the track and then she and Mirwais took it from there.  Still, just from the demo sample and knowing that Mirwais started with the song first, it's safe to say Madonna's part only came in after the song was conceived and the theme was pretty set all ready. 

I feel Mirwais is as guilt as Madonna here. She'd probably heard this demo at some point. It's hard to live as an artist if you're not a celebrity or doesn't have a very profitable deal. Madonna has so much money that she could give him a little and it wouldn't itch her at all. I hope they can get a fair settlement with his name on the liner notes. 

This isn't the first time Madonna has done this or her associates.

I remember in the mid 2000's. Warner had commissioned Dan-O-Rama to work on a box set, they agreed on a fee and Dan had started. Warner decided to not continue, but didn't pay Dan the agreed fee and Madonna distanced herself.

Business is business and Madonna didn't get to where she is without being a ruthless business woman. 

1 hour ago, Fighter said:

Well who cares if she wrote it, the song is good and that's all that matters. She bought songs for MDNA and they weren't even good so. 

Obviously a lot of fans do care, by the many replies.  It's not that we never thought she bought songs before that were pretty much written. She's done that all her career, but I guess many of us really felt this song was more from her, than it is.  It really has nothing to do with how good some think it is.

37 minutes ago, Jackie said:

This isn't the first time Madonna has done this or her associates.

I remember in the mid 2000's. Warner had commissioned Dan-O-Rama to work on a box set, they agreed on a fee and Dan had started. Warner decided to not continue, but didn't pay Dan the agreed fee and Madonna distanced herself.

Business is business and Madonna didn't get to where she is without being a ruthless business woman. 

Big deal being a ruthless business woman when she steps over others...then the material girl preaches  about what is the beast (the material world - IMGTTYAS)...

10 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Obviously a lot of fans do care, by the many replies.  It's not that we never thought she bought songs before that were pretty much written. She's done that all her career, but I guess many of us really felt this song was more from her, than it is.  It really has nothing to do with how good some think it is.

ok, im just saying at least we got a great album

:hug:

This procedure is no surprise and we all know that Madonna is very creative in getting the majority of the songwriting credits, even if she has just changed one or two words.

If she really doesn't know about Casey's contribution she now has the chance to clear up this dilemma very quickly, because the tabloids will rip her for it.

Edited by Levon

7 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

HIS OWN WORDS

He (Mirwais) had a clear concept, lyric, and melody.

I (Spoon boy) cleaned it up

Did some editing

Americanized the language

And created a new melody for the last couple of lines.

Im sorry, but he should be happy they offered him 10k. Doesn't sound like he did much. Not to mention it's basically a one note melody. :Madonna033:

Did Tony Shimkin deserve to get robbed of his credits for working on the Erotica album?

8 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Did Tony Shimkin deserve to get robbed of his credits for working on the Erotica album?

I don't know the details of that. Reading online real quick it seems he was Shep's assistant so... I don't know what they had worked out but it would seem he was paid by Shep. 

5 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I don't know the details of that. Reading online real quick it seems he was Shep's assistant so... I don't know what they had worked out but it would seem he was paid by Shep. 

If someone was a co-writer of a song, they deserve the credit and royalties.

Tony co-produced and co-wrote all of the Shep tracks on Erotica (exception of Fever for obvious reasons). When the album was completed, Shep said that Tony could only put his name as a writer for 1 track. He chose deeper and deeper. He was robbed.

I don’t know why you would think that would be okay...

19 minutes ago, deathproof said:

If someone was a co-writer of a song, they deserve the credit and royalties.

Tony co-produced and co-wrote all of the Shep tracks on Erotica (exception of Fever for obvious reasons). When the album was completed, Shep said that Tony could only put his name as a writer for 1 track. He chose deeper and deeper. He was robbed.

I don’t know why you would think that would be okay...

I didn't say anything like that.

It does sound like he was taken advantage of. It also seems like it would be Shep's wrong doing considering Tony was his assistant. 

We dont have all the details and I wouldnt buy solely into Spooner’s story.

He knows mentioning Madonna will garner him attention.

Regardless of what really happened (Madonna ALWAYS gives credit where credit is due (hello! All the writers and producers on Rebel Heart), we will never know and what Casey Is not considering here is that he is doing damage to his musical career.

No one wants to work with someone who vents on social media.

It’s also weird to me that Madonna fans are quick to blame her and assume she’s at fault over Casey McSpooner here.

People are so quick to judge and cancel something just based on what ONE person says.

I guess that’s why they removed “gullible” from the dictionary.

6 minutes ago, Derby said:

We dont have all the details and I wouldnt buy solely into Spooner’s story.

He knows mentioning Madonna will garner him attention.

Regardless of what really happened (Madonna ALWAYS gives credit where credit is due (hello! All the writers and producers on Rebel Heart), we will never know and what Casey Is not considering here is that he is doing damage to his musical career.

No one wants to work with someone who vents on social media.

Did you read the court docs and emails? Team M acknowledges his involvement and knows he should be credited. That’s all that matters at this point. Right now, it’s between Casey and the lawyers to work it out.