Your Favourite Madonna Era

louis.exe

Erotica. Though the album sounds a little dated today, its still a brilliant piece of work, and definitely one of her best. It was also an era with great videos, great singles, great remixes, gorgeous photography, massive media exposure (both positive and not-so-positive), ad resulted in the brilliant Girlie Show Tour. All this, and the wonderful SEX book. It was an exciting time to be a fan.

Just now, PWCCA said:

Erotica. Though the album sounds a little dated today, its still a brilliant piece of work, and definitely one of her best. It was also an era with great videos, great singles, great remixes, gorgeous photography, massive media exposure (both positive and not-so-positive), ad resulted in the brilliant Girlie Show Tour. All this, and the wonderful SEX book. It was an exciting time to be a fan.

I feel like that was when she started to become Madonna the artist rather than just another pop star

Oh, I love this question!

For me, it's a tie between Erotica/Bedtime Stories/Ray of Light. She was so powerful in the 90's. Each era was so different and so unique. All three albums were also amazing.

The Erotica era was a bit sad because of the crazy negativity she got from the public during that time, but I feel that her message of sex positivity was really timeless. There will always be people who are scared of talking about sex and being open about it and the Erotica era still poses important questions that can really help those who want to be sex positive actually become sex positive. She broke barriers and a lot of women in the industry wouldn't be able to talk about sex in an artistic way if M hadn't been the one to take the first bite. It was also a really fun era. She had a lot of iconic looks and she was so unapologetic. I just love it!

The Bedtime Stories era was a little bit strange as well, but it's still so special to me. She was still dealing with the negativity from the Erotica era, and she came back with a bang when people thought she never would! Take A Bow is still her longest running number 1 on the Billboard charts. I love her style from this era. She looked gorgeous! There are so many iconic things about the Bedtime Stories era. The music videos, the Letterman interview, her resilience.

The Ray of Light era was the first era that I really got into while I was on my journey through Madonna's discography. The birth of Lola brought such a glow to M. Motherhood brought out the best in her. She just felt so peaceful and calm. I love all the interviews from the Ray of Light era. It really was a great era for her, and again another successful one as well!

Fantastic question. I've loved every era, but, Ray of Light is one of my absolute favorites.  I loved her new found peace after becoming a mother. I love the Oriental influence and creativity in her videos. It was so beautiful and fun.

I also loved the Music and Confessions era for the music and dancing. The Reinvention era was so creative and fun too. Seriously, what a ride it's been every inch of this journey. 

Ray of Light and Erotica/Sex eras. 

The Erotica/Sex era will easily go down in art and pop culture history as a defining and watershed moment of womens and queer sexual expression. To put it in context, they were released during the feminist sex wars of the 90's. Robert Mapplethorpe and Andy Warhol were only dead for a few years and you can see their influence in both Erotica and Sex, also the AIDS epidemic was at it's height and queer activism was alive etc... Erotica and Sex were products of their time and it was the perfect moment for both to be released back in October 1992. 

Ray of Light was when I first started going out clubbing and the sound of the album opened up a whole new world for me, also I was exploring Kabbalah years before I even knew M was studying it, so it was a collusion of sounds, images and affirmation that it was OK to study spirituality and travel down your own road, watching the signs as they go. 

I can't even begin to choose. I lived through them all, and enjoyed them all so much.  It's like your own children and you can't choose which is your favorite.  There are aspects of each era that really stand out, even ones I might not like as much as others. It seemed with each era, she became better and better, especially as an entertainer. 

I will say nothing beats the 80's though.  Those were some great times with Madonna.  Though, she seemed to be the gift that kept giving even after the 80's.

For me I loved the Ray of Light Era. It was such a powerful album, she proved she did not have to tour right away to have such a successful album. Frozen will always be my favorite M song, to this day it gives me goosebumps and seeing it live during the madame X tour and re-invention will forever be cherished in my heart! 

• 2 months later...

My three favorites era:

1. Ray Of Light: My favorite album and era. I love all the music video (the darker ambiance of Frozen, the romantic of The Power of Goodbye, the paparrazzis denonciation in Substitut of love, the Asian dressing of Nothing Really matters and the speeder life in Ray of Light), all the songs, all about this period, the ambiance during this period. The best era and her best album to date.

2. Confession on a dance Floor: The first album i have of my life. i listen all the time during my seniors years. I love all the songs and like Ray of Light, the style of the album (Hung Up was my favorite song on Madonna) and i'm a huge fan of music video of Sorry, Hung Up and Jump (not Get Together). A very good period of disco for him.

3. True Blue: Another masterpiece. Her songs was excellents, one by one and i like all the songs of the album (my favorites was Open your Heart, Live to Tell, Where's the party and La Isla Bonita). Her music video changed her style every music video (i love the sexy video of Open Your Heart) and i love it.