Is the Madame X tour her worst tour?

byebyebaby

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's a tour where the production was rushed to get it on the road and many poor decisions have been made. 

My gut feeling is still M in her mind wanted a similar production to Kate Bush's Before the Dawn and a more theatrical presentation of the music. Which would have worked brilliantly with the Madame X album. 

I agree, one would have to see it for themselves to really make that call.  Just to say it is because you think there are too many dates or the production was rushed or you don't like the stage (from what one has seen without seeing it themselves), etc,, etc.,  is not giving it a fair shake.

The interesting thing is; pretty much everyone who has gone to see the show, claims it's one of her best.  It's only those who haven't seen it, are tearing it apart and making snap judgments on it.

Yes, it has it's faults, but it doesn't make it the worst tour.  But again, I couldn't say either way since I haven't seen it. I don't think anyone else can either who hasn't seen it.

3 minutes ago, MarXus said:

The interesting thing is; pretty much everyone who has gone to see the show, claims it's one of her best.  It's only those who haven't seen it, are tearing it apart and making snap judgments on it.

Because they're stans and they're closer to M than they usually are and entranced with her magic. 

She's the incarnation of Alister Crowley you know. 

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Because they're stans and they're closer to M than they usually are and entranced with her magic. 

This isn't true at all.  I've been much closer to M on many of her other tours than this one and I really don't like the Madame X album or era in general, but this tour is definitely memorable and something special live.

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Sorry, I think that's unfair to say and not at all accurate.  In fact, there have been many who weren't too fond of Madame X album, came away loving the tour.  Not only that, some brought their friends or family, and they came away saying the show was great. 

Again, I truly believe those who have seen it can truly say if this is the "Worst Tour" or not.

10 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

This isn't true at all.  I've been much closer to M on many of her other tours than this one and I really don't like the Madame X album or era in general, but this tour is definitely memorable and something special live.

She's put a spell on you dear. Theatres are well known for their occult energies. 

14 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Sorry, I think that's unfair to say and not at all accurate.  In fact, there have been many who weren't too fond of Madame X album, came away loving the tour.  Not only that, some brought their friends or family, and they came away saying the show was great. 

Again, I truly believe those who have seen it can truly say if this is the "Worst Tour" or not.

They've been spell bound. M does have a charismatic personality which would be a lot more potent in a theatre format. 

Also the Fado club section and the Batukas would be the thing which would captivate anyone. That's what I think is getting the rave reviews. 

I'm still getting the show isn't up to what it could be. M could easily create a whole new concert touring genre if she had the right people who can see her vision and work with her to make that vision reality. 

Saw it live on opening night in Brooklyn and loved it to smithereens. Aside from the pretentious opening, it was a spectacular evening of theater. Much like the album, it’s so difficult to categorize it within the context of her other albums, so I can’t seem to do it properly for the concert. It’s a musical and an original cast album. But if I had to rank it amongst the live shows I’ve seen in-person, it would be as follows (best to least best):

01. RIT 

02. MXT

03. RHT

04. CT (One of her most brilliant tours, I love it on disc more than I did in person but I have to rank them, so there it is)  

05. DWT (I grew to LOVE it on disc. But, in all honesty, she was not feeling the crowd the night I attended) 

06. MDNA

07. S&S

Im confused by this topic as the critics seem to love this tour but this small group of fans don’t ? I haven’t seen the tour yet as I’m still in 2 minds plus as I live in London I’m only limited to those shows and I’m worried she may cancel one of them - from what I’ve seen it looks fine apart from some of the costume choices ( god control and crave look dreadful imo ) I’m more intrigued to see I don’t search I find as I like the look on that ?

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I probably do need to see it to judge but based on what I have seen.

It looks like they tried to put an arena show into a theatre and added too many dates.

As I’ve said, I was hoping the Madame X Tour would be in the vein of Kylie Minogue’s Intimate and Live. A short 20-30 date theatre tour, minimal set, not too much choreography, and just Madonna in some gorgeous fado inspired outfits performing Madame X and fan favourite songs with a live band. 

Costumes aren’t great and I’m not particularly fond of the first one, however I adore the fado cafe one a lot. 

The setlist is definitely the thing I was most disappointed by. She had teased and teased for months performances of songs such as Rescue Me, Easy Ride, What It Feels Like For a Girl etc, and all the songs I was anticipating were cut. 

All of that said, I don’t think this tour is a literal disaster. I think management and organisation is to blame for a lot of it, and the tour still has some brilliant highlights by the look of it.

I agree how you'd have to see it, to judge fairly. As far as staging, scheduling, organization, and management, it seems poor (Live Nation especially gets an F!!!). But the show and for those in it (Madonna, the dancers, and the band) are entertaining and excellent. 

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Im confused by this topic as the critics seem to love this tour but this small group of fans don’t ? I haven’t seen the tour yet as I’m still in 2 minds plus as I live in London I’m only limited to those shows and I’m worried she may cancel one of them - from what I’ve seen it looks fine apart from some of the costume choices ( god control and crave look dreadful imo ) I’m more intrigued to see I don’t search I find as I like the look on that ?

Again, most of those fans who aren't loving it, are those who haven't even seen it.  LOL!! They are basing their opinion off the logistics of the tour, which obviously didn't sway the people who went to the show.  Fans or not, most are saying that they had a wonderful time and it was a great show. The critics in the media also have been pretty positive about the tour.  Honestly, I can't see how anyone can say it's the "worst" when they haven't seen it? 

9 hours ago, Elazul said:

Whatever happened to the Madonna who disliked playing the versions released on CD. She barely had any reinventions in this decade bar a couple of acoustic renditions, it's so disappointing.

Why does she have to re-invent all the songs to perform them live?  It's not like this album smashed and its songs and singles are known by everyone.  Though, from what I can tell not all the songs are "album versions".   I suspect many are close to it, but I find it weird that we have people dying to hear the original versions of the old songs performed, but we're still asking for her to perform different version of the new songs, which no one barely knows?  Possibly, the album versions she performs are exactly how she wants to perform them?

5 hours ago, MarXus said:

Again, most of those fans who aren't loving it, are those who haven't even seen it.  LOL!! They are basing their opinion off the logistics of the tour, which obviously didn't sway the people who went to the show.  Fans or not, most are saying that they had a wonderful time and it was a great show. The critics in the media also have been pretty positive about the tour.  Honestly, I can't see how anyone can say it's the "worst" when they haven't seen it? 

I'm sure there are also some fans who are making judgements on it (such as myself) on the set list and the ticket prices.

We all rate tours even though a lot haven't seen them. I never saw Blonde Ambition or Girlie Show live but from the DVD's, I can say my favourite out of both of them is the The Girlie Show, etc.

12 minutes ago, Alan Leggate said:

I'm sure there are also some fans who are making judgements on it (such as myself) on the set list and the ticket prices.

We all rate tours even though a lot haven't seen them. I never saw Blonde Ambition or Girlie Show live but from the DVD's, I can say my favourite out of both of them is the The Girlie Show, etc.

Seeing a concert on DVD versus live, cannot compare, but you still saw it, and are able to make a proper judgment if it's a great tour or not.  But the OP didn't ask if one saw it live or not. Unfortunately, that's the only option we have right now.  If and when it does get released on some format, then others can make a better judgment of it being great or worst.

I just find it interesting most who are saying it's her "worst" never saw the show. Just because it might not include all your favorite songs or the price of the ticket are too high, doesn't make the concert her worst.  After all, many of those who attended the concert may agree with you that the ticket prices are too high or they don't like the complete set list, but it still doesn't mean it makes it her "worst".  But at least, they saw the concert to properly judge, and not assume it's the worst because of logistics.   One can even add her coming on stage so late as another reason to dislike the concert, but most who attended were able to dismiss that as well.

Look, it might be the worst for some, but my point was that I just found it interesting that those who are calling it her "worst" right now, haven't even seen the concert.  That is all.  :01:

Probably yes, but that's still a very high standard.

And the reason is that she's essentially doing an arena show inside a theatre. I would have loved to see something uniquely theatrical...not just smaller screens and the same skinny breakdancers.

Like Frozen, which is masterful. Lourdes literally enveloping Madonna. You couldn't do that in an arena. More of that.

It had one of the most weirdest and uniquely frustrating roll out with the ticket sales, the prices and considering the phone ban which turned a lot of people off. That's more so with how the tour was announced and how people were able to get tickets before price gouging or scalpers reaped double or triple the ticket cost.

As for the tour itself, It's more bare bones than her other productions and previous tours. The costumes aren't memorable aside from the Fado or Martha Graham album cover one she wears during Frozen. The setlist has a good mix of classics, album tracks, MX singles and tracks and some out there inclusions that will appease both who want the newer stuff and the classics. The banter adds to more of the fan interaction she hoped for whether everyone can get or digest her sense of humor is another story. It does leave something to be desired of not possibly switching things up at some points with requests or a one off number as alluded in RHT and TOAC. 

I haven't seen it fully to make a proper opinion but it does look like it'd be a whole packaging being experienced live with all the projects, set pieces, choreography and being closer to Madonna than other shows. The phone ban has left us scrambling for either clips she and her team post or fan videos which are obscured with having to hide from being caught, shot at weird angles with the quality varying. It isn't her worst tour by any means but it isn't one of her greatest. 

The Frozen performance looks amazing!

15 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

It had one of the most weirdest and uniquely frustrating roll out with the ticket sales, the prices and considering the phone ban which turned a lot of people off. That's more so with how the tour was announced and how people were able to get tickets before price gouging or scalpers reaped double or triple the ticket cost.

As for the tour itself, It's more bare bones than her other productions and previous tours. The costumes aren't memorable aside from the Fado or Martha Graham album cover one she wears during Frozen. The setlist has a good mix of classics, album tracks, MX singles and tracks and some out there inclusions that will appease both who want the newer stuff and the classics. The banter adds to more of the fan interaction she hoped for whether everyone can get or digest her sense of humor is another story. It does leave something to be desired of not possibly switching things up at some points with requests or a one off number as alluded in RHT and TOAC. 

I haven't seen it fully to make a proper opinion but it does look like it'd be a whole packaging being experienced live with all the projects, set pieces, choreography and being closer to Madonna than other shows. The phone ban has left us scrambling for either clips she and her team post or fan videos which are obscured with having to hide from being caught, shot at weird angles with the quality varying. It isn't her worst tour by any means but it isn't one of her greatest. 

The Frozen performance looks amazing!

Madame X is something which needs a plot and storyline to drive it. The set list should have been more Madame X material and old tracks which fit into the Madame X story/manifesto (ones which come to mind are 'Words' from Erotica, 'Frozen' from ROL) and takes the audience on a  journey. 

God Control is a song which would be better further down the set list when more about Madame X's journey is revealed. Being the big bang opener hasn't done the show or song any favours. Especially since it's the album track version, a slower acoustic version probably would have had far more impact in this show.