Is the Madame X tour her worst tour?

byebyebaby

I shouldn’t judge, and I can’t. From what I’ve “seen” and “heard”, it isn’t my cup of tea. Maybe I’ve psyched myself out though. Like I would never pay that insane amount of money to see her somewhere I wasn’t local to. Some would and that’s just fine. Perhaps it would be a different story if she came to Toronto. But I believe I have a right to say I don’t fancy the set list. But to judge the show as a whole, I don’t because I haven’t been to it. Ask me when the DVD comes out lol.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't say it is her worst tour, as I haven't attended the show, neither have I seen a full video recording of it... all I can say is that it seems, to me, to be her most uninteresting and uninspiring show to date... and I am basing this solely on images, video clips, and the fan-recorded audios of the show. Being a show performed within a theatre setting, there was so much opportunity for something really grand and theatrical... an ideal venue to play out the storyline of Madame X with a chance to explore all the different character personalities within some kind of storyline... but all that was delivered was a scaled down regular concert show within a theatre setting, and pretty much done on the cheap, with no real consideration on the fans, her abilities, and the logistics involved in putting on such a show. A proper show that would have truly captivated the audience (both super fan and casual fan) would have almost justified the extortionate ticket prices, and helped those super slow ticket sales. It is a sea of missed opportunities for Madonna.

4 hours ago, Andymad said:

I shouldn’t judge, and I can’t. From what I’ve “seen” and “heard”, it isn’t my cup of tea. Maybe I’ve psyched myself out though. Like I would never pay that insane amount of money to see her somewhere I wasn’t local to. Some would and that’s just fine. Perhaps it would be a different story if she came to Toronto. But I believe I have a right to say I don’t fancy the set list. But to judge the show as a whole, I don’t because I haven’t been to it. Ask me when the DVD comes out lol.

Like you, I passed on the tour because I was turned off by the ticket prices, with the added expense of not being local to the venues. I would have had to pay to travel and lodging expenses. Also, I've had a lot of personal unexpected expenses pop up which made it harder as well. 

I don't mind the set list.  It's her show. It's how she wants it, so I can't begrudge her there.  I didn't expect this to be that sort of tour that will pull out all the hits.  Also, her tours always were heavy on the current album release.  

Add that Madame X isn't exactly my favorite Madonna record, so I am able to be content with missing the tour this time out.  It's the first one since Girlie Show.  And that was simply because I was so busy during that time, that I didn't realize she was touring until it was too late.  She was playing at limited venues anyway, so I wouldn't probably been able to travel to see her as well. 

Like you, I'll wait for the DVD before I say it's her "worst".  I don't think I'll be able to say it's her "worst" though.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I saw it.  Doesn't mean it would be among my favorites though.  We'll see!! 

I can't really judge cause I was unable to attend one of her shows. I will however say that the setlist is messy. I mean, Human Nature AGAIN (will someone tell her this wasn't even a hit)? Papa Don't Preach being edited down to a snippet once more (hasn't been performed in full since 1990). Crave being a disco remix over the superior album version (it would have even been wonderful on acoustic guitar). 2 covers of songs that nobody outside of Lisbon would know and Welcome To My Fado club which has just as tasky lyrics as The Funny Song. Those were wasted slots where she could have easily thrown in 2-3 classics. And let's not even get into that lagging typewriter introduction.

But again, as for the show itself (choreography, props, costumes, projections) I can't judge cause I haven't seen it so it would be unfair if I label it as her worst tour. I just had an issue with the setlist - I have NO problems with the amount of new tracks since that's always been her style - it's the order they're in and choice of old songs.

1 minute ago, musicinferno said:

I can't really judge cause I was unable to attend one of her shows. I will however say that the setlist is messy. I mean, Human Nature AGAIN (will someone tell her this wasn't even a hit)? Papa Don't Preach being edited down to a snippet once more (hasn't been performed in full since 1990). Crave being a disco remix over the superior album version (it would have even been wonderful on acoustic guitar). 2 covers of songs that nobody outside of Lisbon would know and Welcome To My Fado club which has just as tasky lyrics as The Funny Song. Those were wasted slots where she could have easily thrown in 2-3 classics. And let's not even get into that lagging typewriter introduction.

But again, as for the show itself (choreography, props, costumes, projections) I can't judge cause I haven't seen it so it would be unfair if I label it as her worst tour. I just had an issue with the setlist and the audio I've heard.

I can't agree more!

This is one of her weirdest tours. It nothing wrong with small theatres but what makes me disappointed are the song choices. Everything seems unnecessary 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I hope with the next tour she hires someone else as her musical director. Kevin Antunes hasn’t served particularly brilliant tour arrangements over the years. 

On 1/5/2020 at 2:06 PM, Nobody Knows Me said:

I hope with the next tour she hires someone else as her musical director. Kevin Antunes hasn’t served particularly brilliant tour arrangements over the years. 

Amem to that! I don't want to listen to karaoke versions with loud vocals from the 80's underneath it ever again! (I looking at you, Rebel Heart Tour).

On 1/5/2020 at 4:20 AM, musicinferno said:

I mean, Human Nature AGAIN (will someone tell her this wasn't even a hit)?

Also, Human Nature is the 3rd song of the show again, followed by Vogue like on S&ST. Like A Prayer is the penultimate song like on MDNAT. These are the things the likes of Janet Jackson have been long criticized b Madonna fans alongside album versions and backing tapes...

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I will admit, it is strange that she basically seems to be using album versions of her older songs when she’s previously expressed her frustration to performing songs in their original form. The Like a Prayer performance specifically seems to lack any energy.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I will admit, it is strange that she basically seems to be using album versions of her older songs when she’s previously expressed her frustration to performing songs in their original form. The Like a Prayer performance specifically seems to lack any energy.

And also video clips as stage projections. She normally creates custom videos for stage dressing in concerts. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 minute ago, Ashley said:

And also video clips as stage projections. She normally creates custom videos for stage dressing in concerts. 

That was also bizarre. Honestly, there are some disappointing things about this tour, and I think that it could have been better. However, I won’t say whether or not it’s her worst tour until I’ve seen it for myself. Which will hopefully happen in a month’s time:Madonna024:

22 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

That was also bizarre. Honestly, there are some disappointing things about this tour, and I think that it could have been better. However, I won’t say whether or not it’s her worst tour until I’ve seen it for myself. Which will hopefully happen in a month’s time:Madonna024:

I've said this and a few others have said similar. I have a feeling M wanted a theatrical experience like Kate Bush's Before the Dawn which would have been mind blowing with the Madame X concept, yet she was pushed to get the show on the road to promote the album and that's why it's coming across as a rushed job of shoving a typical M concert into a theatre. 

There's something not right about the production of this tour and seriously if M had a strong top class theatrical production, had residencies for a few months in selected theatres around the world and live streamed a performance into cinemas then she would have had a higher demand and received a healthy income from it. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I've said this and a few others have said similar. I have a feeling M wanted a theatrical experience like Kate Bush's Before the Dawn which would have been mind blowing with the Madame X concept, yet she was pushed to get the show on the road to promote the album and that's why it's coming across as a rushed job of shoving a typical M concert into a theatre. 

There's something not right about the production of this tour and seriously if M had a strong top class theatrical production, had residencies for a few months in selected theatres around the world and live streamed a performance into cinemas then she would have had a higher demand and received a healthy income from it. 

I don't buy the whole she isn't making any money from it. She is far too shrewd to do something for free or at a loss.

I 100% agree about something not right about the production. I was watching bits of DWT the other day and the way she performs songs like Secret, Gone and in particular, La Isla Bonita is how I imagined the show would have been. I still think the breaks where she spoke to the audience and performed random songs on Rebel Heart tour are more intimate than what it sounds/looks like on Madame X tour.

Had a wee look at Ticketmaster for London just to see, but prices are still too high for me, I'm afraid I'm priced out the market for this one.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, Lucky90210 said:

She needs to stop being such a pretentious jerk and deliver the hits that made her the icon she is and please her fans.

She has consistently delivered the hits since Re-invention and it's been a looot of hits. Now that she chose the new material over the old one she's a jerk.

?