Is the Madame X tour her worst tour?

byebyebaby

The show had some stunning moments and some intimate highlights...but it's her least spectacular or well thought out show for sure. Nice to see something different for a change but it was nowhere near as conceptual or clever as I thought she was capable of in a proper theatre space

I got a heavily abridged show so essentially 14 songs for little under £1000. 4 of which were classic hits. I love her so its fine but it's essentially touring suicide for any casuals that went and paid these prices. 

1. Vogue
  2. I Don't Search I Find
  3. American Life
  4. Batuka
  5. Killers Who Are Partying
  6. Crazy
  7. La Isla Bonita
  8. Medellín
  9. Extreme Occident
  10. Frozen
  11. Come Alive
  12. Future
  13. Like a Prayer
  14. I Rise

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nobody Knows Me
On 2/17/2020 at 2:38 PM, steady75 said:

The show had some stunning moments and some intimate highlights...but it's her least spectacular or well thought out show for sure. Nice to see something different for a change but it was nowhere near as conceptual or clever as I thought she was capable of in a proper theatre space

This is how I felt when I came out of the show as well, but I also got a cut down show. 

i haven’t seen the show, I won’t get to until the DVD. And I cannot wait!

But when I heard M was going on a theatre tour, THIS is what I thought of. I would have LOVED to see this kind of show. Just her and a band, and some backup singers. As an artist who is injured this would have been the perfect kind of show to just sit, relax, and perform. I mean when she sits and just sings, she produces some of the best live vocals she has ever put out. I really think that if she does this type of show again, she has a back up plan for an injury. Instead of cutting out parts. 

I didn’t know where else to post this haha sorry if it don’t fit

Guest Nobody Knows Me
23 minutes ago, Andymad said:

i haven’t seen the show, I won’t get to until the DVD. And I cannot wait!

But when I heard M was going on a theatre tour, THIS is what I thought of. I would have LOVED to see this kind of show. Just her and a band, and some backup singers. As an artist who is injured this would have been the perfect kind of show to just sit, relax, and perform. I mean when she sits and just sings, she produces some of the best live vocals she has ever put out. I really think that if she does this type of show again, she has a back up plan for an injury. Instead of cutting out parts. 

I didn’t know where else to post this haha sorry if it don’t fit

This is exactly what I thought of as well. A small and intimate theatre show with just Madonna and a live band, performing some of her lesser known and fan favourite songs, “Bad Girl” being the main one. I also thought of the Re-Invention World Tour performance of “Nothing Fails” as well. That was another live and intimate performance that I really love.

I will never buy the argument that you can't judge a show without seeing it in person. Some of us didn't get to see Blond Ambition, Girlie, Drowned, Virgin and such but we can tell the shows are great through recordings and such. And it works vice versa, someone's worst or best will be the other's opposite. That's how it works.

5 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I will never buy the argument that you can't judge a show without seeing it in person. Some of us didn't get to see Blond Ambition, Girlie, Drowned, Virgin and such but we can tell the shows are great through recordings and such. And it works vice versa, someone's worst or best will be the other's opposite. That's how it works.

Absolutely.

personally I'd say it's her second worst tour after the atrocious MDNA, which I skipped for the same reason, I couldn't stand the album. I don't regret it, I simply 'went next time'... and that's what I hope to do this time. 

It feels like excitement is just lower this time. 

credit where credit is due though, the costumes are beautiful and the performance of Frozen seems very well realised.

5 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Except you haven’t seen a filming of this show so you cannot judge it. It’s as simple as that. Some clips on Instagram is not the same.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:29 AM, EM said:

Attended the Feb 12 show, amazing

A. M. A. Z. I. N. G

it was surreal, a man sat next to me has suddenly held my hand during Frozen, I hope she ll do another tour in theaters cause the experience is sooo unique, best show I attended since The Girlie Show in Paris back in the day, she s a treasure, the show has a fluid narrative, unfortunately my English is not that good to describe my point of you but this time she has really portrait her vision, it s like a canvas you get to listen to but with the eyes and looking at with the ears. I loved when she escapes from the cell after human nature and finds her way during vogue where in disguise, in the entertainment industry,  all the Madonnas look the same ( WHAROL) , she writes down on a sheet of paper few secret lines then Finally find ENOUGH LOVE but again male figures take her, steal the letter, query and question her and what s left to her to do is sell a SELFIEPolaroid of herself (WARHOL) to keep her journey going, she took the money and put then in her body yesterday night saying she s now pregnant and leaving the American life where she might not get an abortion in this time, she goes back to the human nature cell and close it herself then the traveling map interlude kick in and she s in cape verde and I could go on and on.... to me Frozen is the dream, where she s the child of the mother she never had

Beautiful interpretation.

So nice to hear from someone happy and positive.

20 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Except you haven’t seen a filming of this show so you cannot judge it. It’s as simple as that. Some clips on Instagram is not the same.

In my opinion the show is not to my liking and from what I've seen which have been close to full performances, it isn't one of my favorites. Does that somehow invalidate my opinion? Seeing a final version with overstylized editing tricks, quick cuts and footage from different dates will still have me rank it as a lower tier tour from but then again that is the point to fandom is agreeing to disagree. Not everyone has to share the same opinion as others. :kiss:

Just now, thelioncourtheart_ said:

In my opinion the show is not to my liking and from what I've seen which have been close to full performances, it isn't one of my favorites. Does that somehow invalidate my opinion? Seeing a final version with overstylized editing tricks, quick cuts and footage from different dates will still have me rank it as a lower tier tour from but then again that is the point to fandom is agreeing to disagree. Not everyone has to share the same opinion as others. :kiss:

It is like disliking a movie you saw some clips of. Sorry but it doesn't make sense to me. But OKAY.

Taking it literally, it probably is her worst 'tour' - the poor planning, rescheduled dates, cancellations, injuries, cut shows, limited cities, ticket prices, that ridiculous ticket lottery for US dates..

As for the show itself, well that's more subjective and in defence of those who have an opinion on it but haven't been, I have to say, my opinion after having seen it wasn't too different from my opinion before.

20 minutes ago, apj said:

Taking it literally, it probably is her worst 'tour' - the poor planning, rescheduled dates, cancellations, injuries, cut shows, limited cities, ticket prices, that ridiculous ticket lottery for US dates..

As for the show itself, well that's more subjective and in defence of those who have an opinion on it but haven't been, I have to say, my opinion after having seen it wasn't too different from my opinion before.

People are entitled to their opinions I guess. But I don't personally understand why you would not want to see it anyway if you are a Madonna fan. It is a Madonna tour. Sticky & Sweet is my least favourite tour and I would have loved to have seen it in person. I wish I had seen them all.

Is it that some people feel it is not good enough for the price they are charging?

1 minute ago, Blue Jean said:

People are entitled to their opinions I guess. But I don't personally understand why you would not want to see it anyway if you are a Madonna fan. It is a Madonna tour. Sticky & Sweet is my least favourite tour and I would have loved to have seen it in person. I wish I had seen them all.

Is it that some people feel it is not good enough for the price they are charging?

personally i wouldn't want to miss one ..i think part of that comes from growing up in Australia watching the TV broadcasts of WTG and BA tours and being extremely jealous i was missing out

20 minutes ago, apj said:

personally i wouldn't want to miss one ..i think part of that comes from growing up in Australia watching the TV broadcasts of WTG and BA tours and being extremely jealous i was missing out

Same! I’m from Australia too!

My first Madonna tour was Rebel Heart.  

Now I can objectively say that that is not her best tour. But the experience of being there makes it special for me in a way that’s very different from watching it on a tv screen.

1 hour ago, Voguerista said:

I defend the tour a lot but, I've also done the opposite because of the ticket lottery, high ticket prices, poor management, and most of all...the late start times etc.. So I can understand and see why anyone would have issues with this tour without seeing it. 

True but I thought we were judging the show itself?

Obviously in terms of everything else it’s by far the worst tour for the cancellations alone.

19 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Same! I’m from Australia too!

My first Madonna tour was Rebel Heart.  

Now I can objectively say that that is not her best tour. But the experience of being there makes it special for me in a way that’s very different from watching it on a tv screen.

i think Rebel Heart was probably my favourite of the last few tours she's done

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I loved it but it gets a lot of shit from long term fans.

I guess it wasn’t as epic as mdna but I think it was a very consistent show. No real dull moments.

I agree! It thought Rebel Heart imbued so many facets of Madonna abilities as a performer. It was spectacular, theatrical, provocative, and thrilling; but also quiet, sweet, romantic and intimate, with a decent mix of songs old and news.

How I judge any Madonna tour will depend largely on the set list, which is an obvious thing to say, but compared to most artists, she tends to focus each tour on her current album, and there's never really a guaranteed selection of hits you can be sure she'll perform. If you weren't into Madame X, there's only really 5 older songs for this show to fall back on, and 3 of those (Human Nature, Vogue, and Like A Prayer) have been performed with frequency on previous tours. 

Comparatively, even if you weren't a fan of the Rebel Heart, MDNA or Hard Candy albums, at least their accompanying tours played a decent number of older songs, often reinvented in imaginative ways, so they offered more than just the newer songs to enjoy. I loved the Drowned World Tour because it basically ignored the first half of her career and concentrated on Ray of Light, Music, and Bedtime Stories. I remember fans being very critical of the set list at the time, but I think it made sense to focus on those albums given how critically and commercially acclaimed they were. Conversely, Madame X has been quite polarising among fans, despite generally positive critical reviews. I'm not saying she shouldn't focus on the Madame X songs, but given how expensive the tickets were, it would have been nice to acknowledge the incredible career she's had, and play a decent number of songs spanning the entirety of her career, so there was more for everyone to enjoy - and I don't mean just the obvious hits. 

Alternatively, she could've charged less for tickets if she wanted this tour to be so Madame X-specific; then at least fans wouldn't have felt short-changed. It seems paradoxical to think tickets for this tour have been the most expensive of her career, even though it has the cheapest production values, and so few hit songs on the set list. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but to point out she's offered so much more, for far less in her previous tours, and that's why Madame X is my least favourite.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:31 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I agree that you may be able to compare tours with each other from recordings of the tours.  But I don't believe a person can judge a show without seeing it in person.  I have attended enough tours of various artists where I expected the show to be mediocre, but when seeing it in person the show was spectacular.  Recordings can't replicate the experience of being there.  I gave an explanation of this by comparing an audience level video with a professional video here:

https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/topic/20391-madame-x-tour-london/page/40/?tab=comments#comment-851749

On 1/5/2020 at 6:06 PM, Nobody Knows Me said:

I hope with the next tour she hires someone else as her musical director. Kevin Antunes hasn’t served particularly brilliant tour arrangements over the years. 

True! So sad she replaced Stuart Price for Kevin Antunes for the Sticky and Sweet Tour. From that tour on, live versions just seemed not live at all. Remember going to MDNA Tour and it felt like listening to the Immaculate Collection (Vogue, Express Yourself and Like a Prayer). Hung Up was also terrible. Not to mention what was done to Hung Up and the disastrous copy/paste version of Ray of Light for the Sticky and Sweet.

About the show, everyone has the right to have an opinion. Personally I think it is impossible to guess without going to the show or seeing the official recordings, when they are released. I saw SS and MDNA without being enthusiastic of HC and MDNA and loved the show anyway. Since Madame X is in my top 3, this is really the first tour I get to see that will cover one of my favorite albums. Looking forward for sunday in Paris. 

About the worst tour ranking, the whole Rebel Heart era for me was a hot mess, including the tour, which I decided to skip seeing live. Did not even manage to see the entire recording. For me it is going to be hart to top that one as worst.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 hour ago, Raf Mac said:

About the worst tour ranking, the whole Rebel Heart era for me was a hot mess, including the tour, which I decided to skip seeing live. Did not even manage to see the entire recording. For me it is going to be hart to top that one as worst.

I would also place Rebel Heart at the bottom. Everything about it seemed really off to be honest. Still perfectly enjoyable and fun though!