Is the Madame X tour her worst tour?

byebyebaby

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nobody Knows Me
6 minutes ago, scion said:

See, I thought MDNA was awful. Awful hair, awful set list, awful versions of classics, awful vocals, awful album.

Rebel Heart was inexplicably brilliant for me.

The MDNA Tour is actually one of my favourite tours to date. I loved that it had a clear concept throughout, I loved the costumes and the choreography, although I imagine it was probably the most strenuous tour for her, with the exception of the current tour. The opener and closer were really energetic and fantastic. But yes, some of the arrangements were awful. Hung Up, I’m looking at you.

Rebel Heart Tour was good, and I do like the more organic approach she took after such a demanding and calculated tour. Only thing I wasn’t a fan of was the opening section being like three different acts in one, and some of the arrangements were a little cheap. Other than that, it was a great tour.  

I must admit, some of the arrangements for RHT were just very much karaoke sequel, especially Burning Up which had potential to rock hard but actually sounded very much like a prerecorded drum loop and some 80s samples. 

Didn't like Deeper and Deeper either, but then again it's probably in my top 10 worst M singles so the only version I've ever liked is RIT! x

Guest Nobody Knows Me
4 hours ago, scion said:

I must admit, some of the arrangements for RHT were just very much karaoke sequel, especially Burning Up which had potential to rock hard but actually sounded very much like a prerecorded drum loop and some 80s samples. 

Didn't like Deeper and Deeper either, but then again it's probably in my top 10 worst M singles so the only version I've ever liked is RIT! x

Deeper and Deeper is one of my favourite songs ever, but I wasn’t fond of the RHT arrangement either. I don’t know what happened with Holiday either, that was a very lifeless rendition. How Kevin Antunes keeps getting hired I’ll never know! 

40 minutes ago, Bel said:

Because she likes his work, she thought It was good enough and exactly what she wanted, go figure! To me this really shows her "taste" in music lately.

Don't forget, Madonna is "The Big Boss", she chooses and decides every single thing about her tours, they do what she wants.

I don't like Kevin Antunes work, but to be fair i remember some comments at the time about Mike Dean being in charge of the arrangements for the "old songs".

Kevin Antunes is the pits - his music production is so lazy and tired - bit like Mirwais who I have no idea why she has still hung on to him ? Maybe he’s a cheap producer ?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
Just now, Bel said:

I'm not a fan of Mirwais either, don't think he's that genius producer people( Madonna fans) believe.

I keep seeing fans saying he should be the producer of her next album too, but i hope he gets nowhere near her next album.

I do admire Mirwais a lot for all his bizarre production, and have loved the work Madonna has produced with him, but I don’t want to see him on the next album either. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I hope we can have another iconic performance of Hung Up some day. It’s one of my favourite songs and I haven’t enjoyed a performance of it since the Confessions Tour.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Honestly it felt like with Confessions she reluctantly gave us what we wanted and has retconned it since :lol:

45 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I hope we can have another iconic performance of Hung Up some day. It’s one of my favourite songs and I haven’t enjoyed a performance of it since the Confessions Tour.

I actually think the S&S version was the best one in terms of my own personal enjoyment.

10 hours ago, Jet said:

I also think seeing her up close on this theatre tour is the perfect time to put my infatuation to bed. It’s been a good, long ride but I kinda feel done. Maybe that’ll change with the next album/era/whatever you wanna call it ??‍♂️

Up until MDNA, I was always of the impression and feeling that I had to be 100% besotted and onboard with everything that she does , and that I'd be less of a valid Madonna fan if I disliked an era... but apart from the Super Bowl and the brilliant tour performances of Revolver and Celebration, I didn't like a single thing. I was back on board for everything that followed between MDNA and RH and realised that it's perfectly fine to be honest with your feelings. 

I ended up loving RH and RHT, but haven't really liked anything since she did the outdoor concert for Hillary, that's literally the last time she wowed me... and I'm fine with that, I thought it was spectacular but nothing from 2017 onwards has floated my boat particularly well and that's okay. 

there's always next era :)

Not the worst, but quite near the bottom. I think it ranks above The Virgin Tour and Who’s That Girl, which are at the bottom of my list. It could’ve been much more special if she treated it like a real intimate theater experience for hardcore fans that emphasizes on new materials and forgotten gems, with outstanding productions, but it ended up being a low budget downsized version of her big shows with the most uninspired outfits and set designs and huge missed opportunity.

I’d rank her tours like this:

1. Confessions Tour
2. MDNA Tour 
3. Re-Invention Tour
4. Sticky & Sweet Tour
5. Drowned World Tour
6. Rebel Heart Tour
7. The Girlie Show
8. Blond Ambition Tour
9. Madame X Tour 
10. Who’s That Girl Tour
11. The Virgin Tour 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

By asking is MX the worst 'tour' that sort of includes everything around the show - the dates, the travel, the whole tour journey and process as it evolves over the many months. Therefore, MXT is certainly her 'worst tour' because there were so many unfortuante things going on around the actual production - many of which were under M's control (tardiness, dates too close together...) and some of which were not (injury, C-19...) 

However, if we are talking about the actual show/production - then MX is certainly not the 'worst'! Yes, VT and WTGT definitely both belong in the 1980s in terms of their production values etc, but M had not yet reached her narrative-based concert productions that started with BAT. Also, M didn't yet have too many 'deep' songs that add a lot of heart and deeper meaning to the shows that we expect from her post-1990. 

VT and WTGT are 'just' very simplistic performances (still love them!) Just appreciating the amount of design, skill and thought that went into MX production compared to VT and WTGT shows - those two shows pale in comparison. So those first two productions are certainly her least-effective productions on this alone.

Although - I'm sure some people might argue that 1980's M onstage alone with that 1980s energy trumps anything!