Is the Madame X tour her worst tour?

byebyebaby

14 hours ago, Ronk said:

I agree that you may be able to compare tours with each other from recordings of the tours.  But I don't believe a person can judge a show without seeing it in person.  I have attended enough tours of various artists where I expected the show to be mediocre, but when seeing it in person the show was spectacular.  Recordings can't replicate the experience of being there.  I gave an explanation of this by comparing an audience level video with a professional video here:

https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/topic/20391-madame-x-tour-london/page/40/?tab=comments#comment-851749

To an extent yes but I doubt seeing MX live would change my opinion on the show compared to seeing her past tours. I still find it to be one of her low ranking tours even if some like Sticky aren't my favorite either.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Ronk said:

I agree that you may be able to compare tours with each other from recordings of the tours.  But I don't believe a person can judge a show without seeing it in person.  I have attended enough tours of various artists where I expected the show to be mediocre, but when seeing it in person the show was spectacular.  Recordings can't replicate the experience of being there.  I gave an explanation of this by comparing an audience level video with a professional video here:

https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/topic/20391-madame-x-tour-london/page/40/?tab=comments#comment-851749

To an extent yes but I doubt seeing MX live would change my opinion on the show compared to seeing her past tours. I still find it to be one of her low ranking tours even if some like Sticky aren't my favorite either.

3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I would also place Rebel Heart at the bottom. Everything about it seemed really off to be honest. Still perfectly enjoyable and fun though!

I wouldn't doubt the story about sections being blended into one. The transition makes no sense and the first segment feels too bloated. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
24 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I wouldn't doubt the story about sections being blended into one. The transition makes no sense and the first segment feels too bloated. 

Exactly, it went from Samurai to a rehash of the RIT version of Burning Up to Sacrilege, which could have made a fantastic full section. 

4 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Exactly, it went from Samurai to a rehash of the RIT version of Burning Up to Sacrilege, which could have made a fantastic full section. 

It's a rehash but it's a musical downgrade. The RIT version I felt was far beefier and the drums seemed legitimately live, unlike the programmed drums on the RHT version. 

either way, it's my favourite Madonna song ever.

8 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I see your point.  I can't make an opinion since MX is the only tour I've attended.  I hope so much she tours in the future, as I would love to attend each tour.  I feel badly I missed her earlier tours.  I know one thing:  Even in the MX tour, and even if it's her worst tour, when Madonna stands in front of you on that stage it is an overwhelming feeling that will live within you forever.  :heart: 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:29 PM, EM said:

Attended the Feb 12 show, amazing

A. M. A. Z. I. N. G

it was surreal, a man sat next to me has suddenly held my hand during Frozen, I hope she ll do another tour in theaters cause the experience is sooo unique, best show I attended since The Girlie Show in Paris back in the day, she s a treasure, the show has a fluid narrative, unfortunately my English is not that good to describe my point of you but this time she has really portrait her vision, it s like a canvas you get to listen to but with the eyes and looking at with the ears. I loved when she escapes from the cell after human nature and finds her way during vogue where in disguise, in the entertainment industry,  all the Madonnas look the same ( WHAROL) , she writes down on a sheet of paper few secret lines then Finally find ENOUGH LOVE but again male figures take her, steal the letter, query and question her and what s left to her to do is sell a SELFIEPolaroid of herself (WARHOL) to keep her journey going, she took the money and put then in her body yesterday night saying she s now pregnant and leaving the American life where she might not get an abortion in this time, she goes back to the human nature cell and close it herself then the traveling map interlude kick in and she s in cape verde and I could go on and on.... to me Frozen is the dream, where she s the child of the mother she never had

Also I ve noticed all the first act till the Polaroid she opted for the mainly black & white metaphor, she s in the land of capitalism, the land she was born and known , the dresses, the light are mainly those ones as if the re no ways out left under skyrocket buildings, no shades of grey in the narrow minded rooms of metropolis and the 2stairs are  in the same position as if the skyline of the land is there to remind no way to improve but being dragged down or on top. ( in LAP to me the stairs obviously portrait the same judgmental corrupted vision, paradise&hell, the light is spreading out joy from that giant discoball) 

No male figures and the few ( the pianist with the gas mask and soldiers in AL) are playing the corrupted, patriarchal ( actually I think she refers to a good%of her fans when she screams TRAITORS I FOUGHT FOR YOU at the end of DB) or the army ones, no space for warm sounds instruments and the only time she joins the man doing what a man is doing it s when she plays the bongo ( the warm beat of Africa), from the moment after the traveling map intro leads to Cape Verde there s a wave of blue, celeste breeze, the stairs are wide OPEN, they ALLOW, no boundaries, the sea s roaring, all the Batukadeiras WOMEN beating their hearts and drums and from that moment on the elements of music are an escalation multiracial influence, and the use of light is warm and when it s not in Killers the light is pastel blue mixed up in black and the stairs are broken in pieces but not  frozen in stillness, they TRAVEL IN STILLNESS, they re rotating, they are alive, we are all immigrants. 

I went back to the IG video she once posted of GodControl and I see all women sitting on the stairs left and right suddenly getting up as M shout out A NEW DEMOCRACY. 

Again about the lights and colors the show ends with NO STAIRS AND A RAINBOW FLAG    , all colors Rising United. 

I know I know she made me a visionary, I guess she inspired me to see things as a painter, she s an eduentertainer, an Artivist

and you know what, that cell in human nature where she s thrown in and she escapes in disguise and she goes back bye herself is THAT MORE IMPORTANT WINDOW she not so much jokes about in her banter. 

That cell in between those stairs in da first act reminds me of Gustave Courbet masterpiece " l origin du monde" 

We all share/experience the same birth place. 

Edited by EM (see edit history)

No, certainly not one of her worst... it's really different (not as spectacular but more real) but i's good, really good. I enjoyed every second of it. It's never boring and yet, there are some moments in some other tour that are boring to me.

The Madame X tour is fascinating from the first to the last song for me. You know when you can see her mouth opening to sing or talk for real, not through a big screen arena, then you know you're on a different kind of tour.

I'm surprised one can say it's her worse tour, really...

Guys, I'm so so sorry, but I'm a little high right now and listening to Madame X audio right now, and...

She doesn't sound great. A *LOT* of it is audio mixing. I can hear the layers so much better. I think they have it setup so that whenever her live voice cuts out, a piped in voice comes in. She's not the first artist I've seen do that. And there's a TON of reverb on her voice (makes it echo). Finally, there's definitely pitch correction on her live voice. So much of it is a backup track.

I'm not sure her live voice is quite what we're making it out to be, I'm sad to say. 

To start with, it's not properly a tour. It's a theatre mini-residency in a few selected cities.

Overall it just doesn't compare with any of her previous tours. This one is a theatre show experience while her tours were massive shows in gigantic stadiums or arenas.

As it is done in a theatre it is much simpler. It is also more intimate. A unique experience. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
6 hours ago, notbizzre said:

To start with, it's not properly a tour. It's a theatre mini-residency in a few selected cities.

Overall it just doesn't compare with any of her previous tours. This one is a theatre show experience while her tours were massive shows in gigantic stadiums or arenas.

As it is done in a theatre it is much simpler. It is also more intimate. A unique experience. 

I agree with this. Now that it’s been a few weeks since I saw the show, and my thoughts are more settled, it is kind of unfair to compare it to her stadium and arena tours. It’s a completely different experience.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, techno101 said:

Guys, I'm so so sorry, but I'm a little high right now and listening to Madame X audio right now, and...

She doesn't sound great. A *LOT* of it is audio mixing. I can hear the layers so much better. I think they have it setup so that whenever her live voice cuts out, a piped in voice comes in. She's not the first artist I've seen do that. And there's a TON of reverb on her voice (makes it echo). Finally, there's definitely pitch correction on her live voice. So much of it is a backup track.

I'm not sure her live voice is quite what we're making it out to be, I'm sad to say. 

First of all I love your opening line! lol.

Your comment about reverb makes sense to me now, I thought it was my headphones because especially during Medellin, all I could hear was everything she was singing echoing. I was sure it was me because I hadn't came across any of the reviews mentioning this but it was so obvious on this recording.

I'd rather hear a shaky voice while dancing than all this vocoder, heavy backing track over live vocals etc. This makes me think of how amazing Donna and Nikki were, especially how Nikki could take over the higher notes during Into the Groove etc. It's a shame they split and the new ones are placed right at back of stage now.

20 hours ago, Sheridan1980 said:

It's definitely her best! 

It’s up there for sure!

Not sure why so many fans weren’t impressed by it because I thought it was sensational. Brilliant staging!

There is a lot of reverb and effects on her vocals but I thought she sang wonderfully overall. Her voice seems stronger toward the end of the tour than what I heard in earlier recordings.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s up there for sure!

Not sure why so many fans weren’t impressed by it because I thought it was sensational. Brilliant staging!

There is a lot of reverb and effects on her vocals but I thought she sang wonderfully overall. Her voice seems stronger toward the end of the tour than what I heard in earlier recordings.

I still think she sounds better than in a lot of her other recent tours, but ultimately, it's evident there's a ton of processing used. I've listened closely a few nights in a row. And the recent Vegas bootleg makes it even more evident.

THAT SAID, I'm not mad about it. Quite the contrary -- Thank God they've gotten her vocal mixing down recently, because her last few tours were starting to sound like karaoke tracks. Now if only we could get all live instruments...

Agreed re: the comment about it being the tour least looking forward to, (arguably for me) most enjoyed. It was so much fun not knowing what was coming. I'll admit, that was pretty genius on her part. I wonder if she could do something similar for her stadium tours. Imagine seeing Confessions or MDNA without any spoilers? My God. 

I will admit, in a weird way, I love that her shows start late. For me and my friends, it's never been a mood killer, and in LA especially, it wasn't an issue at all for Madame X. It didn't feel late when she took the stage, and it was 11:15ish. She should make it a niche thing for her, but if she's going to advertise late shows, she needs to ADVERTISE IT ON THE TICKET. If she wants to come on stage late and fans sign up for it, fair game. I'm down, and I'm sure a lot of us are -- But stop pissing off the audience who don't know that's her habit.

Like fuck is it her worst tour.  None of her tours are completely shit, but Sticky & Sweet is her least favourite.  

Madame X is a totally different experience from her previous tours.  I suppose my view is framed by the fact that Madame X is my joint favourite album alongside American Life. 

The tour is 5/5 

2 hours ago, azrael said:

For me, personally, if I had all M eras laid out in front of me at a checkout, I'd be placing the 'next customer' divider right after the MDNA tour. Things have been catastrophic since. 

LMAO I love this quote, because same. To be fair, MDNA was really her first misstep from an album perspective. Even Hard Candy is pretty great, despite the tacky af imagery. But MDNA was completely salvaged with the best pop tour of the 21st Century.

And then came Rebel Heart...