BEDTIME STORIES: Her Most Underrated Album!

MarXus

Bedtime Stories is a funny one. The first time I heard Secret I remember thinking how understated it was. No big fanfare release, just plonked on radio. It felt very warm. It’s a special song in her catalogue for sure. I actually think the underatted nature of it is part of its charm. Sort of like a grandmother / keeper of her career. Sweeping in as a soft comforting, reassuring arm after all the shouting and screaming of the previous era.  A safe haven and a moment of gravitas and reflection. 
This theme continues throughout the album. Bedtime Stories is the sound of Madonnas career in cocoon. Even in the visuals. Death represented in the Take A Bow bull fight video. A cruel sport. A metaphor for fame. Her relationship with the media and being in bed with the media... her literally under the sheets with a television. No accidents. Even the title. Take a bow.

The album opens with Survival. Where an insipid sounding Madonna plays sweet and references two of her softer earlier offerings in Angel and Live To Tell. She’s playing the room but biting her tongue.

The images of rebirth in the Bedtime Stories video. A new Madonna being born of silicone and steel and in the lab scenes. 
She was under construction. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that she returns to the theme of her own mother on Inside Of Me.

And then there’s Human Nature. The last Madonna mark 1.0 version song. Sure there were reinventions before this but in truth the original free Madonna was put to ground with Bedtime Stories...Just as the world lowered the coffin of Madonna 1.0 into the ground, Human Nature spits in their eyes just before they screw the lid on, she’s not sorry....but the twist is it’s Madonna herself who is laying her old self to rest. 
The two hits of “I’ll never explain again” and “absolutely No Regrets” forming her Epitaph, carved on her gravestone. 

We all know what happened after. Her public rehabilitation era. The role of her life and her daughter. Old Madonna was gone. New Madonna was thrilling in a different way but Bedtime Stories will forever be the axis of Madonnas career. A very special and important album that is still her record that has the most replay value. It’s just so playable late night or on a rainy day. 
I adore it. 

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

Bedtime Stories is a funny one. The first time I heard Secret I remember thinking how understated it was. No big fanfare release, just plonked on radio. It felt very warm. It’s a special song in her catalogue for sure. I actually think the underatted nature of it is part of its charm. Sort of like a grandmother / keeper of her career. Sweeping in as a soft comforting, reassuring arm after all the shouting and screaming of the previous era.  A safe haven and a moment of gravitas and reflection. 
This theme continues throughout the album. Bedtime Stories is the sound of Madonnas career in cocoon. Even in the visuals. Death represented in the Take A Bow bull fight video. A cruel sport. A metaphor for fame. Her relationship with the media and being in bed with the media... her literally under the sheets with a television. No accidents. Even the title. Take a bow.

The album opens with Survival. Where an insipid sounding Madonna plays sweet and references two of her softer earlier offerings in Angel and Live To Tell. She’s playing the room but biting her tongue.

The images of rebirth in the Bedtime Stories video. A new Madonna being born of silicone and steel and in the lab scenes. 
She was under construction. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that she returns to the theme of her own mother on Inside Of Me.

And then there’s Human Nature. The last Madonna mark 1.0 version song. Sure there were reinventions before this but in truth the original free Madonna was put to ground with Bedtime Stories...Just as the world lowered the coffin of Madonna 1.0 into the ground, Human Nature spits in their eyes just before they screw the lid on, she’s not sorry....but the twist is it’s Madonna herself who is laying her old self to rest. 
The two hits of “I’ll never explain again” and “absolutely No Regrets” forming her Epitaph, carved on her gravestone. 

We all know what happened after. Her public rehabilitation era. The role of her life and her daughter. Old Madonna was gone. New Madonna was thrilling in a different way but Bedtime Stories will forever be the axis of Madonnas career. A very special and important album that is still her record that has the most replay value. It’s just so playable late night or on a rainy day. 
I adore it. 

What a fantastic review.  Sounds like something that should be published professionally. Thank you!  I loved reading it.  :handsy:

This album was a good album. Not a masterpiece like Ray of Light or True Blue, but this album contains many good songs. Sanctuary was my favorite of this album. I like the darker ambiance of electronic of this song and also the calm during the listen of this song. This song and the title-track was opening the door to the write of her Ray of Light album. I also a fan of Take a bow, this ballad was beautiful and i listen before sleeping, very beautiful and i love the music video of the song. I didn't like very well Inside of Me and I'd Rather be your Lover, but i admit, this songs was 100 better to listen to the Erotica album.