BEDTIME STORIES: Her Most Underrated Album!

MarXus

1 minute ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

It's at the beginning of this video. The internet message. Her speaking voice. :kiss:

Ugh!  Thanks!  I was going to post this, but I only played the first few seconds and heard the guitars and thought it was just the song.  Thanks again!  You're a JEWEL!!!  Hundreds of these Madonna kisses to you: :Madonna036:

Guest Ashley
4 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Keep it up then!! 

You've got me standing up to attention! I think you should be given honourable win for the month for this thread. 

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You've got me standing up to attention with this thread. I think you should be given honourable win for the month for this thread. 

Ahh thanks!  Nothing against you at all, but it's just annoying for people to come into an over all positive appreciation thread, and rather say anything appreciative, posts what they hate.  I know it's the internet.  I know people are free to post their opinions, but at least post what you like first, rather jumping in saying, what you dislike.  Again, I know you didn't do that. I am just hoping to keep this thread more positive and appreciative. Eventually, the hate and dislikes will come. LOL! :)

15 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

And her favorite:

This, Candy Shop and La Isla Bonita seems to be her favorites.  I think a lot of it is because it's who Madonna associates her personal self to be.  She's always been part of the R&B/Hip Hop crowd, and I think she loves these songs because they represent that part of her.  It's the same for LIB, she feels connected to that Latin flavor, and I believe she even said she felt like she was latin in another life. 

31 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

I love Bedtime Stories, but I wouldn't say it is underrated.... it was a big hit. For me, her most underrated album is I'm Breathless. Its a brilliant concept piece, with great tracks and less ego. 

First off, thank you for your response!  I respect your opinion very much.  Though, I have to say that I'm Breathless came out of the box with a huge bang, with a lot of promotion, backing with one her most biggest selling songs ever, "Vogue".  Yes, the album may have been overshadowed by the Vogue phenomenon and Dick Tracy, but it still was a huge  success, from the get-go!  Also, I'm Breathless was based off a lot of nostalgic sounds from previous eras, while BS was far more original.  Also, I think I'm Breathless was very ego driven.  After all, the album was named after her character from Dick Tracy.  Furthermore, Vogue totally an ego trip!  That album got major exposure and for a "inspired" soundtrack, it sold a lot in it's day compared to most soundtracks. 

For me, "Something to Remember" (the song) seemed to be the true original song on that album.  It didn't seem to be tied to a theme, nor did it have that nostalgic sound you expect from a 30's-40's musically inspired album.  It actually sounded late 80's ballad.  Vogue in the same sense (the song) had a current sound, but it was greatly tied to an underground dance that started long ago.  Also, the video was so ego driven and very Hollywood/commercial.

Guest Ashley
12 minutes ago, MarXus said:

First off, thank you for your response!  I respect your opinion very much.  Though, I have to say that I'm Breathless came out of the box with a huge bang, with a lot of promotion, backing with one her most biggest selling songs ever, "Vogue".  Yes, the album may have been overshadowed by the Vogue phenomenon and Dick Tracy, but it still was a huge  success, from the get-go!  Also, I'm Breathless was based off a lot of nostalgic sounds from previous eras, while BS was far more original.  Also, I think I'm Breathless was full of ego.  I mean Vogue is nothing but ego!  That album got major exposure and for a "inspired" soundtrack, it sold a lot in it's day compared to most soundtracks. 

For me, "Something to Remember" (the song) seemed to be the true original song on that album.  It didn't seem to be tied to a theme, nor did it have that nostalgic sound you expect from a 30's-40's musically inspired album.  It actually sounded late 80's ballad.  Vogue in the same sense (the song) had a current sound, but it was greatly tied to an underground dance that started long ago.  Also, the video was so ego driven and very Hollywood/commercial.

I remember hearing the Stephen Sondheim songs from that album being played by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Classical music channel when the album was released. There definitely was a huge promotion for I'm Breathless and it got a hell of a lot of mileage from both Dick Tracy and Vogue. 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I remember hearing the Stephen Sondheim songs from that album being played by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Classical music channel when the album was released. There definitely was a huge promotion for I'm Breathless and it got a hell of a lot of mileage from both Dick Tracy and Vogue. 

Yes, this is why I can't see it as her most underrated. That album was billed as a soundtrack and for such, it sold a lot of copies right from the start.  Many local radio stations devoted an hour to playing the whole soundtrack which is rare. The album hardly was unnoticed, and that's why I say there is a huge difference with Bedtime Stories being underrated.  By then, people were tired of Madonna.  The album somewhat got ignored.  It was a slow burner to some extent, but it was only an album remembered more for it's singles and even then most people don't recall the singles compared to her other albums. Seriously, ask most people (other than hardcore fans if they can name a song from BS.  Many won't be able to).  At least I'm Breathless was tied to a huge budget film and an extremely successful selling song of her career. The song "Vogue" is considered one of her most iconic songs.  People know this, unlike anything from BS! 

Guest Ashley
9 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Yes, this is why I can't see it as her most underrated. That album was billed as a soundtrack and for such, it sold a lot of copies right from the start.  Many local radio stations devoted an hour to playing the whole soundtrack which is rare. The album hardly was unnoticed, and that's why I say there is a huge difference with Bedtime Stories being underrated.  By then, people were tired of Madonna.  The album somewhat got ignored.  It was a slow burner to some extent, but it was only an album remember more for it's singles and even then most people don't recall the singles compared to her other albums. 

I agree.

And when she performs Human Nature there would be quite a few people in the audience, especially younger fans, who wonder which album it's from. 

Also it's wedged about 18 months after Erotica/Sex and before Something to Remember which was released the next year and the Evita happened. So it didn't have a long time to stand on it's own. 

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I agree. Also when she performs Human Nature there would be quite a few people in the audience, especially younger fans, who wonder which album it's from. 

Also it's wedged about 18 months after Erotica/Sex and before Something to Remember which was released the next year and the Evita happened. So it didn't have a long time to stand on it's own. 

It's actually surprising that Take A Bow especially in the U.S. didn't help Bedtime Stories sell more copies.  Even the single didn't sell that very well, as its success was majorly due to heavy radio play.  I mean; Vogue sold several million, but only lasted #1 a few weeks at the most in most regions, unlike Take A Bow which was #1 for seven weeks in the U.S.  Outside of the U.S., Take a Bow wasn't as big of a hit and most Europeans didn't even like the song very much. 

But you're right, most people wouldn't even guess where the singles came from when listening or hearing them.  In fact, I am sure those who are not big fans would probably believe Bedtime Story (the song) was from Ray of Light based on it's sound. 

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

Here's the "in-house promotion" for Bedtime Stories sent to Warner. 

Don't mean to go off topic... but this video raises some questions...

She says she's working with Dallas Austin NOW. She Will Soon work with Babyface and Nellee Hooper. But yet she's already determined she will make no sexual references on the album and even plays a finished track? I'd be curious to hear how the writing/producing of this album went as it seems to be put together ahead of time.  :confused:

Guest Ashley
17 minutes ago, MarXus said:

It's actually surprising that Take A Bow especially in the U.S. didn't help Bedtime Stories sell more copies.  Even the single didn't sell that very well, as its success was majorly due to heavy radio play.  I mean; Vogue sold several million, but only lasted #1 a few weeks at the most in most regions, unlike Take A Bow which was #1 for seven weeks in the U.S.  Outside of the U.S., Take a Bow wasn't as big of a hit and most Europeans didn't even like the song very much. 

But you're right, most people wouldn't even guess where the singles came from when listening or hearing them.  In fact, I am sure those who are not big fans would probably believe Bedtime Story (the song) was from Ray of Light based on it's sound. 

It didn't help either that grunge and Indie was really big at the time and pop didn't have a resurgence until a few years later with thanks to the Cool Britannia trend (e.g. Spice Girls, Take That). 

If the album was a bit more Trip Hop sounding (e.g. I Want You) it might have charted better in Europe. 

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

Don't mean to go off topic... but this video raises some questions...

She says she's working with Dallas Austin NOW. She Will Soon work with Babyface and Nellee Hooper. But yet she's already determined she will make no sexual references on the album and even plays a finished track? I'd be curious to hear how the writing/producing of this album went as it seems to be put together ahead of time.  :confused:

If I recall, as this video has circulated the internet for years.  It was something she filmed earlier in the year during the recording of the album.  Note how her hair is still shorter and mostly dark.  This was sometime around the time of her short appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno (which was not too long after her notorious "fuck" appearance on Late Night with David Letterman which was in the Spring of '94).   When she appeared with Jay Leno her hair style was similar to this with the blonde strip.  I suspect this was a test strip before she was going back to complete blonde again. This was all in the same time that she was recording the album, as dates confirmed in the album recording is between April '94 to June '94.  I'm betting it was during this time period she filmed this clip, when she may have not had an idea of all the tracks would be included.