BEDTIME STORIES: Her Most Underrated Album!

MarXus

2 hours ago, MarXus said:

Yes, I think one of the ones I posted and few of yours are outtakes, if I recall as there were many more images that leaked on the internet years back from this photo shoot.  I had almost forgotten about all these, but it's interesting her hair transformation from jet black to blonde highlights to eventually bleach blonde.  I suspect her intention was to bleach her hair again, so she slowly lightened to make it easier to go bleach blonde again for the Bedtime Story album photoshoot which must have happened late summer of '94. 

Albums were put together much faster then as well.  Anymore, she takes forever putting an album together when in the past she'd be in the studio for a few months and then she was done. 

The photoshoot for Bedtime Stories was done the week of her birthday in Miami. In fact she wore the sapphire blue slip to her party on Aug 15th (and I think that photoshoot was done that day) and had a day on the ocean aboard Lola on Aug 16.

She talks about it in ICON magazine, the letter is written just before her birthday, in fact probably within a few days

94.08.15 - Patrick Demarchelier#5.jpg

94.08.15 - x Birthday Party#3.jpg

94.08.16 - Biscayne#2.jpg

94.08.31 - ICON 16#2.jpg

4 minutes ago, me1981 said:

The photoshoot for Bedtime Stories was done the week of her birthday in Miami. In fact she wore the sapphire blue slip to her party on Aug 15th (and I think that photoshoot was done that day) and had a day on the ocean aboard Lola on Aug 16.

She talks about it in ICON magazine, the letter is written just before her birthday, in fact probably within a few days

94.08.15 - Patrick Demarchelier#5.jpg

94.08.15 - x Birthday Party#3.jpg

94.08.16 - Biscayne#2.jpg

94.08.31 - ICON 16#2.jpg

Well it’s good to know she didn’t like air conditioning then either

Guest Ashley

I really want to thank MarXus for this thread. It's really made my day. 

@Fighteris there anyway we can give MarXus honourable leader for the day for this great thread? :luv::worship:

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

It didn't help either that grunge and Indie was really big at the time and pop didn't have a resurgence until a few years later with thanks to the Cool Britannia trend (e.g. Spice Girls, Take That). 

If the album was a bit more Trip Hop sounding (e.g. I Want You) it might have charted better in Europe. 

Not true at all, BS sold 3 Million in the US, including Columbia House and BMG Club sales, it was certified triple platinum in 2003 and has sold between 7-9 Million worldwide, not bad at all, in fact it outsold every grunge album released in 94/95

Grunge peaked, quickly, in 92/93, which was the Erotica era but by the time BS arrived, it had already declined, in fact most big grunge fans themselves will admit that when Kurt Cobain died in April 1994, it was the beginning of the end for grunge

In the 1995 year end Billboard charts, Madonna was the #6 top selling artist of the year in the US (albums and singles) and the #2 selling woman, after Sheryl Crow who was #5 overall, the big selling acts of that year were R&B (which was the REAL chart dominant genre of the 90s , NOT grunge), country, alternative rock and Adult Contemporary

1 hour ago, Mp1992 said:

Grunge peaked, quickly, in 92/93, which was the Erotica era but by the time BS arrived, it had already declined, in fact most big grunge fans themselves will admit that when Kurt Cobain died in April 1994, it was the beginning of the end for grunge

I remember trip-hop was hot back then, and M didn't want to stay out of the trend. I wish she had made more songs like Sanctuary and Bedtime story, I mean, a full trip-hop album. But I guess it was too european a sound for the US

Guest Ashley
2 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Not true at all, BS sold 3 Million in the US, including Columbia House and BMG Club sales, it was certified triple platinum in 2003 and has sold between 7-9 Million worldwide, not bad at all, in fact it outsold every grunge album released in 94/95

In the 1995 year end Billboard charts, Madonna was the #6 top selling artist of the year in the US (albums and singles) and the #2 selling woman, after Sheryl Crow who was #5 overall, the big selling acts of that year were R&B (which was the REAL chart dominant genre of the 90s , NOT grunge), country, alternative rock and Adult Contemporary

Nope, grunge and indie still had an influence on the music scene when Bedtime Stories was released in October 1994 and Madonna wasn't cool as she was prior to the release of Erotica/Sex and also M still had the Erotica/Sex backlash happening in the US, which also apparently had a negative influence on sales, even though it still reached #3 on Billboards 200 chart for 1994. Therefore Bedtime Stories wasn't exactly the big seller like M's other albums when it was released in November 1994 (but of course it was way bigger than other artists) even with Warners mass marketing, yet it has gained sales over time. 

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/69eyz6/madonna-bedtime-stories-20th-anniversary-sex-sexuality-feminism

If anything it probably was Take A Bow which saved the album and gave it a much needed boost in the charts. 

Furthermore M released 'Something to Remember' the following year in November 1995, which was to help curb the controversy around her career and bring the focus back on her music. And as she said in the album liner for Something to Remember "So much controversy has swirled around my career this past decade that very little attention ever gets paid to my music. The songs are all but forgotten. While I have no regrets regarding the choices I've made artistically, I've learned to appreciate the idea of doing things in a simpler way. So without a lot of fanfare, without any distractions, I present to you this collection of ballads. Some are old, some are new. All of them are from my heart."

So the release of Something to Remember would have had a positive influence on the sales of Bedtime Stories as well. 

Guest Ashley
33 minutes ago, Gonzalo said:

I remember trip-hop was hot back then, and M didn't want to stay out of the trend. I wish she had made more songs like Sanctuary and Bedtime story, I mean, a full trip-hop album. But I guess it was too european a sound for the US

So do I. 

M teaming up with UK Trip Hop duo Massive Attack on her cover of Marvin Gaye's 'I Want You' gave her some serious street cred. 

Bedtime Stories is definitely her most underrated album! I first fell in love with the song Secret and played it over and over, then I ended up buying it on vinyl and fell in love with the rest of the album! The RnB sound is really great and I love how she worked with Dallas Austin and Babyface. This album is just another piece of evidence of how versatile Madonna is as an artist.

Here's some more stuff from that era:

Guest Ashley
3 minutes ago, Gonzalo said:

Absolutely

There are still people who don't realise that  'I Want You' isn't an actual M song and is a  cover of the Marvin Gaye song. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Nope, grunge and indie still had an influence on the music scene when Bedtime Stories was released in October 1994 and Madonna wasn't cool as she was prior to the release of Erotica/Sex and also M still had the Erotica/Sex backlash happening in the US, which also apparently had a negative influence on sales, even though it still reached #3 on Billboards 200 chart for 1994. Therefore Bedtime Stories wasn't exactly the big seller like M's other albums when it was released in November 1994 (but of course it was way bigger than other artists) even with Warners mass marketing, yet it has gained sales over time. 

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/69eyz6/madonna-bedtime-stories-20th-anniversary-sex-sexuality-feminism

If anything it probably was Take A Bow which saved the album and gave it a much needed boost in the charts. 

Furthermore M released 'Something to Remember' the following year in November 1995, which was to help curb the controversy around her career and bring the focus back on her music. And as she said in the album liner for Something to Remember "So much controversy has swirled around my career this past decade that very little attention ever gets paid to my music. The songs are all but forgotten. While I have no regrets regarding the choices I've made artistically, I've learned to appreciate the idea of doing things in a simpler way. So without a lot of fanfare, without any distractions, I present to you this collection of ballads. Some are old, some are new. All of them are from my heart."

So the release of Something to Remember would have had a positive influence on the sales of Bedtime Stories as well. 

Again grunge was declining by late 94 and was pretty much over by late 95

Madonna may not have been as "cool" as she was from 84-92 by 94-95, that actually IS true, but she was still a multiplatinum big selling artist and still had hits pretty regularly on the singles chart

Again, she was the #6 top selling artist of 1995 in the US and NO grunge act sold more than her in 1995

In 92/93, Nirvana and Pearl Jam was EASILY outselling her Erotica album for sure but like I previously stated, grunge was very short lived, basically about two years, mid 92- mid 94, of huge success

58 minutes ago, Mp1992 said:

Madonna may not have been as "cool" as she was from 84-92 by 94-95, that actually IS true, but she was still a multiplatinum big selling artist and still had hits pretty regularly on the singles chart

Again, she was the #6 top selling artist of 1995 in the US and NO grunge act sold more than her in 1995

In 92/93, Nirvana and Pearl Jam was EASILY outselling her Erotica album for sure but like I previously stated, grunge was very short lived, basically about two years, mid 92- mid 94, of huge success

You're right Grunge was out the back door by this time.  R&B music and Hip hop acts were the huge thing at this time for the next few years.  Those East/West Hip Hop wars were going on during this time.  1995 we saw a lot more R&B groups and acts and rap/hip hop acts making a huge impact.   Notorious Big, 2Pac, Dr, Dre, Naughty by Nature all had big albums that year.  Therefore, Madonna's album actually fit in with the times. There were also a number of alternative acts doing well also, like Collective Soul, Alanis Morrissette, and Melissa Ethridge.  R&B acts like Boys II Men, Mariah Carey, TLC, Brandy, Seal, Deseree, All 4 One, were all huge during this period.  Of course, R&B and Hip hop acts were emerging before '95, but they were definitely reaching new heights by '94 and '95. 

34 minutes ago, MarXus said:

You're right Grunge was out the back door by this time.  R&B music and Hip hop acts were the huge thing at this time for the next few years.  Those East/West Hip Hop wars were going on during this time.  1995 we saw a lot more R&B groups and acts and rap/hip hop acts making a huge impact.   Notorious Big, 2Pac, Dr, Dre, Naughty by Nature all had big albums that year.  Therefore, Madonna's album actually fit in with the times. There were also a number of alternative acts doing well also, like Collective Soul, Alanis Morrissette, and Melissa Ethridge.  R&B acts like Boys II Men, Mariah Carey, TLC, Brandy, Seal, Deseree, All 4 One, were all huge during this period.  Of course, R&B and Hip hop acts were emerging before '95, but they were definitely reaching new heights by '94 and '95. 

Exactly

I call the mid 90s, the "Babyface era", whom Madonna of course worked with on BS

He seemed to produce and write EVERY song on the charts back then.  LOL

Just now, Mp1992 said:

Exactly

I call the mid 90s, the "Babyface era", whom Madonna of course worked with on BS

He seemed to produce and write EVERY song on the charts back then.  LOL

Yes, between '94-'97, it was all about those R&B acts.  Boyz II Men, Babyface and Mariah Carey all dominated the charts between that time.  Then by '98-'99, the boy bands began along with those girls like Britney and Christina came along.  Pop came back in a big way. 

Guest Ashley
6 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Thanks to Something to Remember she was popular again in 1995.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Bedtime Stories is definitely her most underrated album for me, and it’s honestly one of my favourite albums ever. I will be so excited if she ever performs anything from this album again, with the exception of Human Nature. Shame we never got a tour. I always imagined it would have been an autobiographical show, sort of in the vein of Janet Jackson’s The Velvet Rope Tour, telling her life like a bedtime story. 

2 hours ago, Gonzalo said:

Yeah, you're right. I would say Cobain's death signaled the end of grunge. After all HE WAS grunge

There was even an article in the 1995 year end issue of SPIN magazine with Madonna on the cover, oddly enough, and the articles headline was "1995: The end of grunge?" During their year in review music issue

Grunge was not that popular anymore during the BS era, it was R&B, adult contemporary acts like TLC, Boyz II MEN, Mariah, Celine, Toni Braxton, Brandy etc that were dominating the albums AND singles charts as well as Madonna

Alternative rock acts were still popular like REM, Alanis (thanks to Madonna signing her), Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, but none of those artists are grunge either