Vegas Residency

louis.exe

I think the typical notion of a typical 'Vegas residency' is pretty tacky. However, I do like the idea of a (proper) residency... or a series of residencies. Very much like what Prince did at the o2 Arena in London in 2007 (and very much like what MJ was planning). The show could be much more elaborate without the need to dismantle everything every few days, and would allow Madonna to be far more creative. You can see with the M-X tour she was thinking along these lines, but so many errors were made and it isn't quite working.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Madonna is a very visual and creative artist, so I imagine her residency would be extraordinary and probably the best residency to date.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
30 minutes ago, Rory said:

I also recall her discussing - during the Ray of Light promos with William Orbit - that she would love to do a "dance party" tour with a group of DJs where everyone is up dancing. I think she was discussing her Veronica Electronica personae. 

That sounds really interesting. It would have been amazing if she released Veronica Electronica and did some sort of one-off dance party to launch it.

1 hour ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I remember reading once they offered her a $1 billion contract for a five-year residency in Las Vegas in 2010 so I doubt she’d settle for anything less than that. Besides, I do think New York would be a great venue since it’s where it all began for her, and I imagine a residency would be somewhat of a retrospective for her. 

Sorry, but the billion dollar contract is untrue.  No doubt she was offered a big sum, but not a billion dollars. 

I do agree that a residency is okay, but it doesn't have to be Las Vegas.  I can see her doing it in NYC, possibly London and Paris.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I can see her doing London, New York, Lisbon or Paris.

I can see her doing that as well :Madonna057:

Guest Nobody Knows Me

It would be so great if she struck a business deal and a new theatre built especially for her residency, like they did with Celine Dion. I imagine it would be a very advanced and intricate spectacle after all.

Guest Ashley
3 hours ago, Voguerista said:

I think a residency is such a good idea for her being she's older now and her knee issues.  She wouldn't have to travel as much and she can rest more. 

And there would be stability for the kids. 

Guest Ashley

I still think with Madame X she wanted a theatrical production like Kate Bush's Before The Dawn, which was a residency as well. 

I agree with a few people here that she'd get bored being in once place and probably would do residencies and long runs in a handful of cities over a few years. 

Guest Ashley
3 hours ago, louis.exe said:

Maybe a residency/tour hybrid she could do it by spending maybe 2-3 mouths in one city then when she's finished in one city she can go to the next one maybe starting in Vegas then going to New York, London then maybe Paris & Lisbon she could easily do it over the course of a year

She'd probably do it over two years and have 5 to 6 months in each city. Whatever city she's performing in would appreciate the big tourism draw card. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

If it were done correctly, promoted well, reasonable ticket prices, not being late etc, she would be looking at breaking records again most likely.

3 hours ago, louis.exe said:

Maybe a residency/tour hybrid she could do it by spending maybe 2-3 mouths in one city then when she's finished in one city she can go to the next one maybe starting in Vegas then going to New York, London then maybe Paris & Lisbon she could easily do it over the course of a year

It would only work in a few key cities and even then it might not work out.  We saw how hard it was for her to sell out for Madame X in a lot of cities on every night.  Usually the first few nights were great, but the last few nights were still struggling to sell out.  So spending two or three months would be difficult even if it was billed as a Greatest Hits tour.  Las Vegas is known for long residencies, so it could work there in the U.S., but in other cities I'm not sure.  Then of course, she could probably set up a venue in London and Paris to attract the Europeans. 

Many of these residencies require at least two shows a day, so if Madonna does that she definitely should stick to two or three days a week with a couple of days in between each day.  Maybe like Mon, Weds, Sat shows. 

Guest Ashley
2 minutes ago, MarXus said:

It would only work in a few key cities and even then it might not work out.  We saw how hard it was for her to sell out for Madame X in a lot of cities on every night.  Usually the first few nights were great, but the last few nights were still struggling to sell out.  So spending two or three months would be difficult even if it was billed as a Greatest Hits tour.  Las Vegas is known for long residencies, so it could work there in the U.S., but in other cities I'm not sure.  Then of course, she could probably set up a venue in London and Paris to attract the Europeans. 

Many of these residencies require at least two shows a day, so if Madonna does that she definitely should stick to two or three days a week with a couple of days in between each day.  Maybe like Mon, Weds, Sat shows. 

I don't think Europeans would be drawn to a Vegas style show either. They'd want more of a theatrical production IMO. 

After reading your post, Vegas would be the only place a residency would work. 

Just now, Ashley said:

I don't think Europeans would be drawn to a Vegas style show either. They'd want more of a theatrical production IMO. 

Even with a long residency, Madonna has voiced in the past how quickly she gets bored with her shows.  She gets excited when it begins and then in between it just starts to bore her and then of course she gets excited at the end.  So I can't see her doing any show for a long period of time like most residencies would.  Again, a residency would require to stick to more of a Greatest Hits sort of show.  She can switch things up from time to time, but I still think she would get bored because it would be the same concept for up to two years if she even agreed to do that.  It's only the last few tours she's been willing to tour past three or four months, so I can't see her touring the same show for 2 years at a residency. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I agree as well after reading that post. I know it has become a sort of generic thing to do now but a Madonna residency would be brilliant, wherever it is, so I am really intrigued by what she would bring if she ever did Las Vegas, however I really cannot see her ever doing it. I remember her quickly correcting Graham Norton a few months ago when he used the word residency. She still seems very reluctant towards it.

7 minutes ago, MarXus said:

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

She could have her stage built just as elaborate, big, and grand as her arena shows (preferably with some type of catwalk or side to side moving walk ). It could be built big enough so that there is room to see her band too, etc.  A true spectacle like she deserves. 

Guest Ashley
2 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Even with a long residency, Madonna has voiced in the past how quickly she gets bored with her shows.  She gets excited when it begins and then in between it just starts to bore her and then of course she gets excited at the end.  So I can't see her doing any show for a long period of time like most residencies would.  Again, a residency would require to stick to more of a Greatest Hits sort of show.  She can switch things up from time to time, but I still think she would get bored because it would be the same concept for up to two years if she even agreed to do that.  It's only the last few tours she's been willing to tour past three or four months, so I can't see her touring the same show for 2 years at a residency. 

A residency is way different than going on tour. But at the same time I think she may have a bitter taste in her mouth about residencies due to offers she's had and a fear of being constrained and restricted due to contractual obligations etc... 

If she did have a residency, she'd need to have complete control and a lot of flexibility. 

8 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

She could have her stage built just as elaborate, big, and grand as her arena shows (preferably with some type of catwalk or side to side moving walk ). It could be built big enough so that there is room to see her band too, etc.  A true spectacle like she deserves. 

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

A residency is way different than going on tour. But at the same time I think she may have a bitter taste in her mouth about residencies due to offers she's had and a fear of being constrained and restricted due to contractual obligations etc... 

If she did have a residency, she'd need to have complete control and a lot of flexibility. 

But again, Madonna has been quite vocal about staying in one place too long or doing the same sort of show for a long period of time.  Possibly since she's getting older, she might be more accepting to this, but I don't believe she would as she's always proven to be young at heart and always enjoyed traveling to different venues, rather stuck in one place.

Also, she hates Vegas!  Just look at most of her shows there... she ends up having a horrible time.  The crowds are usually horrible to her. I don't think she would ever do such a thing, especially in Vegas. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I can totally see her continuing the travelling residency format but there’s no way she is going to do a residency in Las Vegas and never move around for years.