How do you feel about Madonna these days?

Lucky90210

Do you agree?  

35 members voted

1. 1. Has Madonna become pretentious?

• Yes.
    • No.

So I've been a fan since the first album. I lived through every era. She's changed and has become a bore. She should cancel the Madame X tour and have her surgery. To gain back fans who tolerated and rooted for her in this last decade she needs to deliver the goods. Also, her career is amazing so let the general public become aware of that becuase they are not familiar with her past amazing body of work.

Do this and I'm on board....

An autobiography.

A proper full career retrospective that would include unseen video footage and unreleased songs. 

A companion cd that features all of her #1 dance songs.

A coffee table book featuring her many amazing photoshoots.

A new album that brings her back to the dance floor.

All of this for Fall 2020. It can be done. Enough with this three years between cds.

Thank you.

Edited by Lucky90210 (see edit history)

You lost me when you mentioned she's become a "bore".  Please!  :bubblebitch:

Who are these people who have very few posts or rarely posts, who simply come in to make critical posts, dictating how they think Madonna's career should be?  You never see them participating in threads that speak of things they enjoyed about her?   Weird! :salty:

Its hard to say what she should do, however she's not 100% for awile. And it has nothing to do with age.

Madame X album would sound better without autotune, however Mirwais stil has fetish on this fx.

Great songs are forgotten because she insist in playing new album... not even singles from this album are "hits"

Why is such a problem to play 20 of your best hits over the years with 4-5 new singles to promote new record?

At least at this point of her career...

Madonna, boring? I know this has been an unfavorable era for many but I don't think she is boring. I love that she challenged herself with something new and different. She even moved her whole family to another country to do it. She excites me to this day. I'll never tire of her snd I'm on this journey forever through the good and bad. 

Boring... no. Pretentious... yes.

As for the 'what to do next' question, I am going to go with the whole career retrospective option. It is pretty much the only thing now that could save/increase her public image, popularity and sales. The public (and her fans) need to be reminded just who she is, and the music queen that she used to be. Any new material at this point would just disappear without trace leaving absolutely no lasting impact on her legacy.

I wouldn't mind some album reissues but unless she comes to a deal with Warners and her collaborators of the past, we won't get much aside from remixes already available tacked on and some new artwork (LAP anniversary pretty much.) Ideally, we'd want all the goodies and offerings of her catalog and unreleased work but I have a feeling it'd be long after she's gone that you'd see Warners profiting off her and releasing things for a cash grab. 

I'd rather Madonna focus less on what the world expects of her and continues exploring things and where her inspiration strikes. Seeing how Madame X was not planned and led to some new sonic landscapes for her, it'd be nice to see her do the unexpected whether it is a hit or miss with the audience. Rather than simply going to "Here's another CD of the same songs with no goodies."

5 minutes ago, kesiak said:

I'm genuinely grateful she's still recording interesting music and hasn't become a boring legacy act that relies on greatest hits, classic album reissues and tell-all biographies to stay in the public eye.  :)

Yes. And that she never relied on "victimism" to regain the public's attention proves she has dignity in spades. She just moves forward and is not self-destructive. To me that's the most appealing trait in her

I do feel she's become more pretentious but she have always been that, I think the whole thing is rooted in insecurity and lack of facing facts (she doesn't allow people into her life outside her staff they are probably ass kissers).

Madonna always worked best under pressure, I think is safe to guess that she had more people saying no and telling her the real picture when she was under Warner and she always found  balance between being "too out there" with more straight foward projects (LAP/Blond then going with a Collection of hits, Sex/Erotica then Bedtime/Something to Remember, AL then Confessions...).

Since the contract with Live Nation she disappeared for 4 years to the public eye without anything other than Gyms, perfumes and so on, MDNA had none promotion outiside the Superbowl, then more 3 years away... 

They seen to lead her career thinking her name alone is enough but lack input when it comes to keep her catalogue alive, even on her youtube channel they took a long time to upload all of her videos and the channel still a mess to this day. If you compare any song from the 80's or 90's with similar success her views are vey low because of that. The same goes for other streaming plataforms.

I don't think we need another compilation with promotion or anything like that, but I do think they should put out special editions of her catalog out with interesting stuff and create a buzz with that, I also think a lightweight performance in a big plataform or, better yet, a concert (Like Kylie did on Glastonbury for example) would do wonders...

Do I think she'll do any of this? No, but whatever, at this point at least the music still interesting to me. :Madonna008:

How do I feel about Madonna? Lately, I've been feeling I guess "distant"...Right now, Madonna, is that kind of "ex" you cant get rid off. She was and still an amazing artist, but there are certain things in her attitude I no longer have that much patience for it...and it started with Madame X era...I ran out of patience with her. Madame X is a great album. Some sort of Erotica album, that people can't get it right now. 

I don't feel the passion I used to feel. Of course I still like the songs, her work. When i was younger I used to think it was a lifetime everlasting love. But I don't believe in fairy tales anymore. Honestly, I don't care what she is going to do next. And also, I cant say what she should do or not...because it would create expectations, illusions, and maybe lead to some disappointment because she didnt do what I wanted/expected. 

In 1993 I promised myself: Next tour I'm going to see Madonna. And I did it. I was kinda surprised when she said: fuck off mother fuckers on DWT. Not really expecting it. I know it is a part of "her caracter" in that part of the show. But...

She has been great in her humanitarian side, also outspoken...but we don't really need the constant fuck fuck fuck...

Madame X pre era was, in some moments, a pain in the ass for my anxiety. I thought it would be the best era for me, but actually it wasn't. I came to a point I could no longer deal with her constant teasing that lead no nowhere. It leveled up my anxiety...and honestly I dont need it. We dont really need to "adore" another human being like he/she is a God. I dont need all that stuff I collected in all these years. 

There was a time I wanted so badly to meet her. have some time to talk about everything (the world, politics...), take a picture, have an autograph...but now it's more like "If Madonna calls I'm not here".

Guest Nobody Knows Me
20 minutes ago, Enrico said:

Guys you better start saying your prayers for a proper anniversary release!

You probably haven't prayed enough using the proper anniversary item:

MDN86894_300x300.jpg?v=1564738390

Like A Prayer getting a solid remaster and anniversary release with outtakes and remixes is what I want from Madonna in this year. Hopefully they're still planning on releasing this anniversary reissue.

Guest Ashley

But on another note, the only thing I'm not comfortable with about M is her line of younger lovers and I feel the same when I read about men like Leonardo Dicaprio. 

If she dated people of mixed age range, yeah the massive age difference with a partner now and then would not be a problem. Yet going on experience when people have a strong preference for partners with a massive age difference whether younger or older there always is an underlying issue happening. 

She's the best pop star since 1983 and I doubt her legacy will be matched by any other singer after her death. Her career has been full of ups and downs which make her even more interesting than her peers and it's crystal clear she's a woman who's not afraid of taking risks. I could go on and on and on about how great she is but in the end she's just human and has her flaws. Anyway, I'm no one to say what she should do in order to please her audience when she doesn't give a shit. The woman just does her stuff and goes home to spend time with her kids.

I am happy that Madonna continues to make new music, whatever that music may be. There are so many legendary artists who only perform their hits from years ago, who rely on what they had in the past to make themselves relevant. And honestly, if that's what they want to do, then they can do it! But, I like to have Madonna as someone who continues to do what she has always done. And, no, the public might not always like it, and we might not always like it either. That's how it's been for a long time. She doesn't look to please.

I don't think she's boring, but if you do, then that's your prerogative. Obviously we don't have to like 100% of everything she does. I just think we should be a bit more appreciative of the fact that we are getting new things from her because there are many talented artists who started their careers years ago who don't make music or perform anymore.