"Baby Love" on True Blue?

MarXus

So in the spring of '86, there was this song that came on the radio which I thought the artist sounded similar to Madonna.  I remember thinking the song could have easily been a Madonna song back then.  In fact, a lot of people thought it was Madonna.  While the song was ascending to a top 10 position on the Hot 100 Charts, I remember tuning into one of those top 40 radio shows hosted by Casey Kasem. (For anyone who doesn't know who he is, Casey was the Ryan Seacrest of the 70's and 80's. He also was the original voice for Shaggy on the Scooby Doo cartoons).  It was then I learned that the song was actually intended for Madonna and written by Stephen Bray.  When he offered the song to her, she passed.  So the girl who sang the demo and helped write the song, ended up releasing it herself.  Her name was Regina Richards, or better known just as Regina.  The song?  "Baby Love!"

I would assume since this was written late '85, it was intended for Madonna's True Blue album.  I personally am not sure if Madonna's version would fit on that album, but who knows after she put her own spin on it.  Here's the song.  Your thoughts?

33 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Never heard of this song but here I was thinking  it was the one by the Supremes by the title alone. :laughing:

Yeah Regina had a significant hit with her Baby Love.  I think I still have the 45 single of it. 

48 minutes ago, MarXus said:

So in the spring of '86, there was this song that came on the radio which I thought the artist sounded similar to Madonna.  I remember thinking the song could have easily been a Madonna song back then.  In fact, a lot of people thought it was Madonna.  While the song was ascending to a top 10 position on the Hot 100 Charts, I remember tuning into one of those top 40 radio shows hosted by Casey Kasem. (For anyone who doesn't know who he is, Casey was the Ryan Seacrest of the 70's and 80's. He also was the original voice for Shaggy on the Scooby Doo cartoons).  It was then I learned that the song was actually intended for Madonna and written by Stephen Bray.  When he offered the song to her, she passed.  So the girl who sang the demo and helped write the song, ended up releasing it herself.  Her name was Regina Richards, or better known just as Regina.  The song?  "Baby Love!"

I would assume since this was written late '85, it was intended for Madonna's True Blue album.  I personally am not sure if Madonna's version would fit on that album, but who knows after she put her own spin on it.  Here's the song.  Your thoughts?

I love it. Madonna should have done this for sure !!

4 minutes ago, Enrico said:

I remember the song well. Listening again, it reminds me of Angels with dirty faces.

You can easily recognize the typical Madonna-Bray sound. It might have been discarted because it sounded similar to Each time and especially Spotlight, which weren't included in True Blue either.

Had bit of a "Where's The Party?" feel as well.

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

Didn't Dannii Minogue cover this?

15 minutes ago, madaboutM said:

More evidence that Stephen Bray was a pop genius, part of the holy trinity. 

A0B9B502-A19A-4E87-8B6A-D55DC56346BD.png

But even then you can only beat a dead horse so many times.  Just look at Janet Jackson (who I do love) who has worked with The Jam Brothers all her career.  The music they've put out hasn't even compared to what she used too.  You can't recreate the magic.  You can try, and sometimes some people can work together for a long time before people get tired of it.  I don't believe Madonna would be half as successful or popular now if she didn't start working with other producers other than those three.  Orbit, Mirwais and Price all did magic with her.  And there is no doubt we can debate about others in between as well.  :01:

Guest Ashley
3 hours ago, MarXus said:

But even then you can only beat a dead horse so many times.  Just look at Janet Jackson (who I do love) who has worked with The Jam Brothers all her career.  The music they've put out hasn't even compared to what she used too.  You can't recreate the magic.  You can try, and sometimes some people can work together for a long time before people get tired of it.  I don't believe Madonna would be half as successful or popular now if she didn't start working with other producers other than those three.  Orbit, Mirwais and Price all did magic with her.  And there is no doubt we can debate about others in between as well.  :01:

I think Benetiz, Kamins, Lucas, Leonard, Bray, Pettibone, Rogers, Orbit, Mirwais, Price are the communion of saints in Madonnaology. Those are the ones who have created miracles with her work. 

Baby Love was an excellent record. It wasn’t a UK hit, but I did buy it at the time. A very shrewd move to make it sound as Madonna-ish as possible. 

I don’t think it would have worked on True Blue, but perhaps remixed on You Can Dance, which could have done with a track to replace Physical Attraction. 

The Regina album is also pretty good and her image was striking. A bit of a spin on the Madonna look but one which Regina made her own. 

I know a few people dislike Jimmy Jimmy, but I think it serves a purpose on the album to lighten things up a bit.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:39 AM, IamZod said:

Baby Love was an excellent record. It wasn’t a UK hit, but I did buy it at the time. A very shrewd move to make it sound as Madonna-ish as possible. 

I don’t think it would have worked on True Blue, but perhaps remixed on You Can Dance, which could have done with a track to replace Physical Attraction. 

The Regina album is also pretty good and her image was striking. A bit of a spin on the Madonna look but one which Regina made her own. 

I know a few people dislike Jimmy Jimmy, but I think it serves a purpose on the album to lighten things up a bit.

Great post.  And I agree about Jimmy Jimmy!  Love the whole vibe of the song.

I love 'Baby Love' as much as I love 'Each Time You Break My Heart and 'Tell Me', and though I think they are far more enjoyable than 'Jimmy Jimmy' or 'Love Makes the World Go Round' they all sound so... faceless? anyone could sing those songs.

They do have a Madonnaish sound but if you place them side by side with 'Open Your Heart', 'Papa Don't Preach' and 'La Isla Bonita' they become somewhat bland, at least 'Jimmy Jimmy' was trying the whole cute 1950's thing along with the tittle track.

14 hours ago, MarXus said:

Great post.  And I agree about Jimmy Jimmy!  Love the whole vibe of the song.

I agree. I have never really understood the hate towards it. Sure, it's no lyrical masterpiece, but it is a fun song that serves well to tie in the album influences. I like it