MDNA (Album Facts)

hankyspankme

Some Girls was a demo that meant for/passed by Britney Spears. It was also supposed to be a performance on the MDNA Tour in place of Vogue before Vogue was chosen. 

She wanted Falling Free to be a single at some point but "it wasn't conventional enough." It was also supposed to be a dancer's interlude on the MDNA but scrapped. Footage of it remains in the MDNA workshop.

She recorded "Falling Free" while she had a cold according to William Orbit. He also expressed his displeasure of her being juggling too many side ventures instead of focusing on the album compared to their Ray of Light sessions.

The demos of "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and the singer's demo of "Girl Gone Wild" were played outside of her home by a fan months before any of them surfaced.

Most of the album tracks were prior demos Madonna changed or entirely changed. (Girl Gone Wild, Give Me All Your Luvin, Some Girls, Gang Bang, Turn Up The Radio, etc)

She wanted Gang Bang as a video at some point but Tarrantino rejected her offer.

A shelved collab of Madonna and M.I.A. titled Baby was either meant for her album or M.I.A's but was not used.

The earlier tracklist of the album originally had songs like Love Spent as bonuses before it was reworked.

5 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

The demos of "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and the singer's demo of "Girl Gone Wild" were played outside of her home by a fan months before any of them surfaced.

There was also a writer's demo for GMAYL, guess it was sung by the same chick who sang the TUTR original version! A snippet from it was shared on SoundCloud a few years ago, but has the full thing been leaked at some point?

I really like MDNA a lot more now than back then. Certain production/mix issues always irritated me, like the lack of gating on the breaths on Gang Bang. When you track up a voice that much, the breaths really stick out and sounded sloppy because they’re like six of them playing at once. It was such an easy fix if someone just spent twenty minutes on the wavs to top and tail the lines. 

All just felt a bit rushed and ‘tinny’ in places. But I’ve gotten used to it now and as an album it ranks quite highly on my top Madonna albums. 

The album cover is a work of art.

The album title was MIA's idea. 

Madonna had issues with communicating with Benny Benassi because of a language barrier. 

Madonna did not want to record Masterpiece for W. E. buy Guy Oseary talked her into it. 

GMAYL was specifically made as the first single (most likely cheerleading themed to fit with the Superbowl). 

Guy Oseary tried taking an untraditional route by doing very little promoting. He relied on social media and the Superbowl to carry on the album's announcement and it backfired because the album didn't sell that well. He even arrogantly told fans "come to me in a year and tell me that my promotional gimmick didn't work." (Fire him). 

This was the first album release where Madonna dove right into tour rehearsals after the album's release. No award show performances were booked and just a couple of TV interviews were made. 

Madonna said she was inspired to sing so angrily in Gang Bang because she was so frustrated with life at the time and wanted to let it all out. 

Love Spent was originally to be on the deluxe version with Bday Song being on the standard album. (yikes) 

Lourdes does backing vocals on Superstar even though she didn't want to but Madonna talked her into it. 

Madonna said I'm Addicted was the hardest song to write on MDNA. 

The tour was announced without a proper title (labeled as Madonna World Tour 2012). It wasn't until many weeks later that she confirmed on Twitter that it was titled The MDNA Tour. 

The floating drummer boys on the tour was an original idea she had for the Superbowl but the stadium roof couldn't handle the weight. 

Rocco was only to be a part of Like A Prayer on the tour but he pushed himself into other songs without Madonna's knowledge and he ended up dancing in several numbers. 

Lourdes worked in the wardrobe department on the tour. 

6 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

The album title was MIA's idea. 

Madonna had issues with communicating with Benny Benassi because of a language barrier. 

Madonna did not want to record Masterpiece for W. E. buy Guy Oseary talked her into it. 

GMAYL was specifically made as the first single (most likely cheerleading themed to fit with the Superbowl). 

Guy Oseary tried taking an untraditional route by doing very little promoting. He relied on social media and the Superbowl to carry on the album's announcement and it backfired because the album didn't sell that well. He even arrogantly told fans "come to me in a year and tell me that my promotional gimmick didn't work." (Fire him). 

This was the first album release where Madonna dove right into tour rehearsals after the album's release. No award show performances were booked and just a couple of TV interviews were made. 

Madonna said she was inspired to sing so angrily in Gang Bang because she was so frustrated with life at the time and wanted to let it all out. 

Love Spent was originally to be on the deluxe version with Bday Song being on the standard album. (yikes) 

Lourdes does backing vocals on Superstar even though she didn't want to but Madonna talked her into it. 

Madonna said I'm Addicted was the hardest song to write on MDNA. 

The tour was announced without a proper title (labeled as Madonna World Tour 2012). It wasn't until many weeks later that she confirmed on Twitter that it was titled The MDNA Tour. 

The floating drummer boys on the tour was an original idea she had for the Superbowl but the stadium roof couldn't handle the weight. 

Rocco was only to be a part of Like A Prayer on the tour but he pushed himself into other songs without Madonna's knowledge and he ended up dancing in several numbers. 

Lourdes worked in the wardrobe department on the tour. 

I wish Rocco would dance again!

This past week I've been listening to the album again after quite some time. It has grown on me a lot. So many great songs (but a few really bad ones). Here's the original track list which, in my opinion, works so much better than the official one:

'Girls Gone Wild’
‘Gang Bang’
‘I’m Addicted’
‘Some Girls’
‘I Don’t Give A’
‘Turn Up the Radio’
‘Give Me All Your Luvin’
‘B-day Song’
‘Superstar’
‘I’m a Sinner’
‘Masterpiece’
‘Falling Free’
‘Love Spent’
‘I Fucked Up’
‘Beautiful Killer'

Best Friend was added last minute. 

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

I think this album is her best of the 2010s - I listen to these songs more than her other albums 

I hate turn up the radio, superstar and give me all your luv in though ?

I had the 'new album excitement' syndrome. I was so excited for new music that I listened to it over and over and thought (at the time) it was a great album. But as time went on, I can't even listen to most of the tracks now because they're so corny. I only like about 6-8 tracks from the deluxe edition and that's it. 

For me, MDNA is one of her best albums ;-) But when I listened to the album for the first time, I didn't like her voice on many songs like on the first part from "Love Spent". But now I like this album more than "Rebel Heart", even though her voice wasn`t edited like that. I like the videos, the mixes and the MDNA Tour (I was in the "Golden Triangle") but the promo for MDNA was bad :-(

1 hour ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

A music video for superstar was talked about and possibly filmed, however it was controversial since Madonna wanted to dress as a "Terror Bride", a combination of an Iraqi bridal veil and a US soldier's uniform. Subsequently, the video was never released

I remember that being talked about for quite a while. Not sure if anything was filmed or made it past the talking stage. She did want a Gang Bang video and bits of her ideas are in the GGW with the Terror Bride image before the song begins. The teasing of Secretproject for months didn't help either as fans began thinking it was a Gang Bang video (sounds weird saying that due to its meaning), a collab with Rihanna at some point and a long form video before the project was released.

By far her worst album.

This was the one she put the least amount of effort into. The tour was visually pleasing, came close to CT but this was the beginning of "let's not do new renditions of songs anymore and just do lame-ass karaoke-sounding versions of songs instead." The setlist was a very big letdown.

Madonna was playing with the idea of including/incorporating Physical Attraction somewhere in the tour after Kevin Antunes requested it (it's his favourite song).

Fans on Facebook were asked to vote for classics they wanted to hear on tour (this was part of Guy O.'s stupid "non-traditional promo" plan). The songs with the most votes were:

- Borderline (from "Madonna")
- Like a Virgin (from "Like a Virgin")
- Papa Don't Preach (from "True Blue")
- Like a Prayer (from "Like a Prayer")

Three out of four of these wishes were granted and it's very likely Madonna was not too keen on being obliged to include them. She was not satisfied with the Like a Virgin rendition (it was a last-minute addition) and was planning to replace that with Falling Free. Papa Don't Preach was only a short prelude to Hung Up and the rendition was basically the album version. She did not include Borderline as she had already performed it on the previous tour and doesn't seem to like the song very much. Like a Prayer was also quite lazy.

Madonna lifted her skirt during her Born This Way segment in Express Yourself, looking downwards at her vagina. She was alluding to rumors about Gaga actually being a man or having a penis.

A song called "Kids", originally written and produced by the Benassi brothers for Kelis' album "Flesh Tone", was apparently recorded by Madonna for this album but was rejected.

Gang Bang was changed rather drastically from the original demo. It's actually more of an experiment/remix of the original track called "Bang Bang (Boom)".

16 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

Her worst album? Well, Rebel Heart is as bad as MDNA. 

That is such a lie, honestly. You may think that but Madonna actually spent way more time writing/recording songs for Rebel Heart. She really put her heart and soul into that album. That simply wasn't the case with MDNA and her co-producers agree. It's a fact that album was only done to have material she could go on tour with.