Information RQ: Cyberraga and Shanti

Bobo

Hi everyone, 

So, Cyberraga will be 20 years this year. I've sometimes tried to find more information on where exactly the Sanskrit lyrics came from, but have never actually found the source... Can anyone point me to the original text? 

The same with Shanti, and that little bit she whispers in Sanskrit on To Have And Not To Hold... Never been able to find the lyrics portion of that phrase or the translation. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

P. 

M's "Shanti/Ashtangi" is a Hindu prayer taken from the Yoga Taravali and yes with after some errors in her pronunciation of Sanskrit shloka "Yoga Taravali" during the song "Shanti/Ashtangi", the BBC arranged for Madonna to take telephonic lessons to learn the basic correct pronunciation of Sanskrit words from eminent scholar Vagish Shastri. She then made the necessary pronunciation corrections on the album.[5][6] In an interview with MTV, Madonna recalled the recording of the album, saying her business partner Guy Oseary was a helpful friend, and that after she and Orbit played him the tracks, he, to their dismay, said nothing and left the studio. "He really hates those icy strings. Right when I think the track's done, he sort of pushes us another step further. 'Maybe we should try this', or 'I really don't want to hear that'.

Guest Ashley
22 minutes ago, Ryder said:

M's "Shanti/Ashtangi" is a Hindu prayer taken from the Yoga Taravali and yes with after some errors in her pronunciation of Sanskrit shloka "Yoga Taravali" during the song "Shanti/Ashtangi", the BBC arranged for Madonna to take telephonic lessons to learn the basic correct pronunciation of Sanskrit words from eminent scholar Vagish Shastri. She then made the necessary pronunciation corrections on the album.[5][6] In an interview with MTV, Madonna recalled the recording of the album, saying her business partner Guy Oseary was a helpful friend, and that after she and Orbit played him the tracks, he, to their dismay, said nothing and left the studio. "He really hates those icy strings. Right when I think the track's done, he sort of pushes us another step further. 'Maybe we should try this', or 'I really don't want to hear that'.

So would that make the first release of Ray or Light more valuable due to the mis-pronunciation? 

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

So would that make the first release of Ray or Light more valuable due to the mis-pronunciation? 

I bought Ray of Light on the day it came out and the vocal take in Shanti is the same you hear in spotify today. Even the radio broadcast version, which is edited differently is the same vocal take. If there is a different Shanti vocal take it's yet to be leaked

Regarding Cyberraga all the lyrics I have come across are phonetic adaptations of what she pronounces. The japanese Music release which comes with the lyrics booklet only comes with the english translation of the song, no sanskrit transcript like Shanti in the ROL booklet. Does anyone have a correct transcript of Cyber-Raga?

I have done a few yoga classes in college a while ago, and to put it simply (hope I'm not being reductive with the matter) the mantra in Shanti/Ashtangi is the opening one, and part of Cyberraga is the closing one.

@UnruheI found this transcription, which is the part of Cyberraga that I mentioned:

Om

Svastih prajābhyah paripālayantām
Nyāyena mārgena mahim mahīśāh
Gobrāhmanebhyah śubhamastu nityam

Lokāh samastāh sukhino bhavantu
Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Om

I could never find any other information about the other bits of Cyberraga... Don't know what it is, nor have found any other transcriptions of it... And what is weird - or maybe a clue - is that this part, the closing one is the exact bit of the song that she sang in the MDNA Tour performance... 

On 1/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, lennyleonard said:

I have done a few yoga classes in college a while ago, and to put it simply (hope I'm not being reductive with the matter) the mantra in Shanti/Ashtangi is the opening one, and part of Cyberraga is the closing one.

@UnruheI found this transcription, which is the part of Cyberraga that I mentioned:

Om

Svastih prajābhyah paripālayantām
Nyāyena mārgena mahim mahīśāh
Gobrāhmanebhyah śubhamastu nityam

Lokāh samastāh sukhino bhavantu
Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Om

I could never find any other information about the other bits of Cyberraga... Don't know what it is, nor have found any other transcriptions of it... And what is weird - or maybe a clue - is that this part, the closing one is the exact bit of the song that she sang in the MDNA Tour performance... 

this is awesome @lennyleonard!!! The first time after twenty years I read the real sanskrit lyric of a part of the song at least!! Thank you!!! Hope someone has it full!! It was such a gem when she teased it to us in the MDNA Tour!

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, Jet said:

Abahu Peru sankaram (not sure of the spelling) it’s a line from shanti/ashtangi and I think it means something along the lines of be happy with what you have...or something.

No. It means "the form of a man up to the shoulders" Source: I'm a yoga instructor. She is invoking the image of a man's torso-to have and not to hold.