The Next Best Thing - 20 Years

Guest Ashley

Proberly a forgotten gem in Madonna's film repertoire, The Next Best Thing was released 20 years ago this year in 2000. She co-stared with Rupert Everett and played a yoga instructor who had a bit of hide the sausage with her gay bestie. This was the movie which featured M's version of American Pie and her original song Time Stood Still which she wrote and produced with William Orbit. 

Don McLean, songwriter, about Madonna covering his song: "It is a gift for her to have recorded 'American Pie'. I think it is sensual and mystical. I also feel that she's chosen autobiographical verses that reflect her career and personal history. I have received many gifts from God but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess."

MV5BODQ3ZGRhYzgtZTkxNC00YTU3LTk4ZWYtMTE1MDZiNzQyZjAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ0NzE0MQ@@._V1_.jpg

15 minutes ago, IamZod said:

I've never seen this film! Not sure why. I think I stopped going to see her movies at the cinema after Body Of Evidence. I haven't ever managed to catch this on TV. 

yeah you never see any of her films on TV the only two films of hers I've seen are Desperately Seeking Susan, Evita and that one animated film she's in I forget the name?

1 minute ago, louis.exe said:

yeah you never see any of her films on TV the only two films of hers I've seen are Desperately Seeking Susan, Evita and that one animated film she's in I forget the name?

I didn't even know there was an animated film. Never seen Evita. Not keen on the theatrical production and find the soundtrack a total chore of a listen. I'd probably watch it if it came on TV - but it doesn't!

I was very supportive of her movies in the beginning and always went to the cinema to support them, but I thought Body Of Evidence was just a step too far and not very good, so I stopped following her film career really. 

That said, I do like Swept Away. I think she comes across as a right cow in it, and it's not a part I would have suggested she do, but I think it has some good moments and holds my interest. 

8 minutes ago, IamZod said:

I didn't even know there was an animated film.

yeah I just looked it up its this film its got a lot of famous people in it like David Bowie, Snoop Dogg, Jimmy Fallon, Mia Farrow, Robert De Niro and was directed by Luc Besson I haven't seen in years I remember liking it back then 

image.png.2d5b51e4d750c76f160d1d9a50b21585.png

31 minutes ago, IamZod said:

I've never seen this film! Not sure why. I think I stopped going to see her movies at the cinema after Body Of Evidence. I haven't ever managed to catch this on TV. 

You should put it on your watch list. You'll enjoy it for the music and her look alone. I liked her and Rupert's charisma together too. 

54 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Don McLean, songwriter, about Madonna covering his song: "It is a gift for her to have recorded 'American Pie'. I think it is sensual and mystical. I also feel that she's chosen autobiographical verses that reflect her career and personal history. I have received many gifts from God but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess."

MV5BODQ3ZGRhYzgtZTkxNC00YTU3LTk4ZWYtMTE1MDZiNzQyZjAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ0NzE0MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Being I hated Don McClain's version of American Pie, I thought I'd dislike her version too. She proved me wrong. I loved loved her version and the video was so fun. 

I remember going to the theater to see this with a friend, the soundtrack is really solid, beautiful electronic music minus the rando Christina Aguilera song. My favorite is "This Life" by Mandalay, love the Luke Vibert/Wagonchrist Remix too, and of course Maverick artist Olive's lush cover of 10cc's "I'm Not In Love". 

I remember the day I bought the soundtrack on cassette. I thought "there're just 2 Madonna songs in there" :bothered2: maybe it's not worth it. But I bought it anyway. When I got home I played it entirely as it was so good... and when Time Stood Still started playing I WAS MESMERIZED! How could I missed this song for so long? Why wasn't it a single or at least a bit more well-known. It's truly a hidden gem.

81SRcPjAjVL._SL1500_.jpg

21 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Being I hated Don McClain's version of American Pie, I thought I'd dislike her version too. She proved me wrong. I loved loved her version and the video was so fun. 

Me too, always detested the song, up there with Young Hearts Run Free, Wonderful Life, Whole Of The Moon, Karma Chameleon and True. I can tolerate the Madonna version, especially the remixes which sound nothing like the original, but I don't think its a song I'd like much by anyone. I was so surprised it made number one here. She had so many more songs deserving a number one spot.

I'm sure Don was thrilled with his royalties. 

I saw this film for the first time on my birthday on TV last year (yes It was a gift for me and the only gift that I got ?, It was a very sad birthday but anyway) and I loved it so much!, It was so funny, so sad and so beautiful film with a great end, I loved it so much that every time that this film is shown on TV, I'm still watching it!!! ? 

2 hours ago, IamZod said:

I actually am rather fond of Body of Evidence. It really is one of those movies that is so terrible that it is actually rather good, lol. I can't say the same for Next Best Thing though.... 20 years on and its still a self-indulgent bore.

The Next Best Thing is a cute movie.  I don't know who was in charge of the lighting though.  She was horribly lit in that film.  The film reminds me of a 'Lifetime' channel movie.  She did try to act too hard in the film though.  It's not bad though. 

She looks like someone else in the film's poster that didn't hide the Runaway Bride concept. She did a great job on "American Pie" and boy, does "Time Stood Still" get neglected and overlooked by a lot. It's truly a gem lost in the shuffle and deserves more recognition. As for the film itself, it isn't the best nor the worst. Madonna is too self-aware of herself making a lot of the dialogue and emotion feel forced. The random British accent that slips in and out of certain conversations and like MarXus said, the old Hollywood lighting whenever she is shown. Seeing Madonna in a supermarket buying cereal does make me laugh. She looked great in that black/white ensemble where her and Rupert get drunk and things happen.

49 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

She looks like someone else in the film's poster that didn't hide the Runaway Bride concept. She did a great job on "American Pie" and boy, does "Time Stood Still" get neglected and overlooked by a lot. It's truly a gem lost in the shuffle and deserves more recognition. As for the film itself, it isn't the best nor the worst. Madonna is too self-aware of herself making a lot of the dialogue and emotion feel forced. The random British accent that slips in and out of certain conversations and like MarXus said, the old Hollywood lighting whenever she is shown. Seeing Madonna in a supermarket buying cereal does make me laugh. She looked great in that black/white ensemble where her and Rupert get drunk and things happen.

Yeah, the way she speaks is way too proper and (somewhat British) for her character.

Though, I will defend her when those made fun of her British accent for the majority of the first half of the 2000's.  She had been living primarily in England then.  She got married to a British man.  People are bound to pick up certain accents when they live in a certain area for some time. I always felt some who made fun of her, embellished it.  Not to say, Madonna wasn't putting some of that accent on, but then again Madonna's always had a flare for living out various personas from time to time. 

10 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Yeah, the way she speaks is way too proper and (somewhat British) for her character.

Though, I will defend her when those made fun of her British accent for the majority of the first half of the 2000's.  She had been living primarily in England then.  She got married to a British man.  People are bound to pick up certain accents when they live in a certain area for some time. I always felt some who made fun of her, embellished it.  Not to say, Madonna wasn't putting some of that accent on, but then again Madonna's always had a flare for living out various personas from time to time. 

During the late 90s there were people putting on a British accent riding on the Cool Britannia and Brit Pop trend. I think M got caught up with this at times and no one told her it ended. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

During the late 90s there were people putting on a British accent riding on the Cool Britannia and Brit Pop trend. I think M got caught up with this at times and no one told her it ended. 

No, because she really didn't take on the accent until she met Guy Ritchie which I believe was shortly before she shot this film.  Sting and his wife introduce the two in the late 90's.  Before that, she was hanging out with Rupert a lot as well.  

5 minutes ago, MarXus said:

No, because she really didn't take on the accent until she met Guy Ritchie which I believe was shortly before she shot this film.  Sting and his wife introduce the two in the late 90's.  Before that, she was hanging out with Rupert a lot as well.  

She was also working with Orbit during recording Ray of Light and she went to PJ Harvey concerts as well. I'm pretty sure she rode the Cool Britannia trend a bit. 

Just now, Ashley said:

She was also working with Orbit during recording Ray of Light and she went to PJ Harvey concerts as well. I'm pretty sure she rode the Cool Britannia trend a bit. 

Oh, she may have, but I think her accent came much stronger because she was married to Guy.  Some were giving her a hard time between 2002 and 2004 especially for her British accent.  But again, I think people were embellished because to me the way she spoke was certainly a direct correlation of living the british life as well as married to one.

3 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Oh, she may have, but I think her accent came much stronger because she was married to Guy.  Some were giving her a hard time between 2002 and 2004 especially for her British accent.  But again, I think people were embellished because to me the way she spoke was certainly a direct correlation of living the british life as well as married to one.

The peak British accent happened when she was interviewed by Parkinson. After that it either softened or reverted back to North American. 

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The peak British accent happened when she was interviewed by Parkinson. After that it either softened or reverted back to North American. 

Which is quite interesting because there were plenty of interviews at that time, where she wasn't taking on the British accent.  So a lot of it was her just speaking British in the environment she was surrounded by.