Either you love him or hate him: Jimmy Jimmy?

MarXus

Jimmy?   

58 members voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Jimmy Jimmy?

• I love it!
    • I detest it!
    • I can take it or leave it!

Either you love the song or hate it, from what I've noticed.  So where do you stand regarding this True Blue non-single?

The song seems to be somewhat of an ode to her ex-husband Sean Penn, since he fit the bill of this song at the time. He was definitely considered the "bad boy" of the 80's.  At least, that was his reputation, especially since he was known to punch out photographers, and served jail time in '87 for doing so which is why Madonna changed the name of Who's That Girl from it's original title Slammer.  The song itself actually fits well with the theme of the album, and feels like another 50/'s/60's Doo-wop styled song like the song True Blue.  As we know, the album was dedicated to her then husband in 1986. 

I like it. It's quirky and has a good melody and now I am older and sometimes had too much wine, I can appreciate what is a good pop song but actually think deeper into it and that song I do remember one evening finding it quite sad "hey, I really loved you Jimmy" at the end, and the la la la at the end as if "I'll just try and forget you and move onto the next" but I loved you. Probably looking much further into it than needs be!

47 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

It will never be a favourite, but I do Like Jimmy. Its a catchy tune that never fails to get one singing along

When you're drunk haha 

DelightfulFarAphid-mobile.mp4

At the time I thought she was referencing James Cagney because she had done White Heat and sampled dialogue from the movie. The lyrics sound very nostalgic and even earlier in style than the 50's theme the song seems to embody. 

I do not think it's a stand out track but it definitely helps the album along making it what it is. 

It's a cute song with an edge.