What is the song (s) that everyone likes but you hate?

John Wayne

I understand this topic is about SINGLES only.

Human nature and 4 minutes, hands down.

Keep it together (badly produced), You must love me (a corny, melodramatic bore) , Love don't live here anymore, What it feels like for a girl, Girl gone wild (lacks bass), Living for love (should this song have been up-tempo, and octave higher and her vocals less affected and nasal, it could've been a hit) and Medellin.

I don't really hate any of these, but I just don't like them for different reasons, mostly in the vocal or production department

Edited by Gonzalo (see edit history)

List of songs that so many others just love, but I just cannot get into... Oh, there are several...

Impressive Instant (I never saw the appeal)

God Control (It's soooo messy. The parts are there for a great song, but assembled soooo badly.... like much of M-X really)

La Isla Bonita (Soooo tired of this one)

Ghosttown (Its rather blah)

Masterpiece (Even more blah)

Take a Bow (I could never get into this one.... even back in the 90s. I always skip it)

Inside of Me (So meaningful, yet handled so horribly)

12 hours ago, Karma said:

I Rise - It's a serviceable album closer, not the epic empowerment anthem Madonna think it is.

exactly. I love Madonna and Madame X for me is an amazing album. Medellin was my most played song from her, last year, but I have the feeling that she's not really trying to reach the public in general, and I rise shows it very well. The idea behind is really great, don't get me wrong, but how it was delivered and the song itself, it doesn't make u feel anything."I Rise" was not a catchy chorus, made it boring at how repetitive it is, not to mention the hysterical speech at the beginning that made it even worse. 

I don't hate any of her songs, but up until recently I never liked Secret Garden.  Though, I appreciate it more than I used to.  When I was younger, I didn't like Borderline so much, but now I love that song.

Other songs I didn't particularly enjoy as much as some fans do.... Impressive Instant, Addicted, Skin, and Like A Virgin. 

Did You Do It? is the song I probably dislike the most. 

Masterpiece: bland, boring and FLAT. Anyway, as I wrote it before, I see MDNA as complete garbage from start to finish, with the exception of Gang Bang and I'm Addicted.

Living For Love: that nasal voice... irritating. And Rebel Heart is as bad as MDNA. 

Something to Remember and Time Stood Still; soulless.

He's A Man, Back In Business, More, Now I'm Following You 1 and 2, Hanky Panky, Cry Baby: yuck!

Nothing Fails; it's always praised as a masterpiece, and while I don't think it's bad, I don't see anything great about it...

American Life: I like the album, but the title track deserved the flop. It's badly written, badly sung and badly produced... and the rap is embarassing. 

What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above and Beyond remix): a generic, forgettable remix.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Ashley said:

Ray of Light is an album you need to listen to in its entirety. That's why I feel it was the best decision not to tour to promote Ray of Light, unless it was going to be performed from start to finish. 

Besides Frozen and Ray of Light, the other singles were poorly chosen IMO and Skin and Little Star probably would have been better choices. 

Really?

3 minutes ago, Renato Iodice said:

Really?

Yep. Women, particularly the Oprah audience kind loved it and it's great adult contemporary easy listening track. 

I add;

Love Spent: unlistenable.

Girl Gone Wild: trash.

I Don't Give A: TRASH.

Falling Free: yawn...

I'm A Sinner: Orbit that repeats himself for the umpteenth time.

Beautiful Killer: Die Another Day 0.2

I Fucked Up: puerile.

Joan Of Arc: the bad copy of What It Feels Like For A Girl.

Holy Water: offensive.

Inside Out: pointless.

Wash All Over Me: a stellar demo reduced to a soporific ballad.

Rebel Heart: generic.

Best Night: the bad copy of Erotica's sound.

Medellin: no comment.

Future: irritating.

Dark Ballet: sorry, it's not experimental, it's downright bad.

Come Alive: that nasal voice...

Looking For Mercy: pompous.

Material Girl - I get it's appeal and why it's a classic but never loved it or found it one of my favorites.

Candy Shop - complete drivel and overused at this point. Erotic/Candy Shop is probably the best it's ever sounded.

Nobody's Perfect - simple lyrics with overdone vocals though the production is nice.

X-Static Process - simple, to the point and sweet but sounds unfinished.

Mother and Father - live version is better to me.

Bitch I'm Loca - Way way below her standards for such a throwaway faceless generic track anyone else could have done.

To Have And Not To Hold: sorry, I find it incredibly boring... I like the intro but then it becomes repetitive.

Mer Girl, Miles Away, Devil Pray, Keep It Together, Spanish Eyes, Human Nature, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You: don't misunderstand me, they are absolutely fine songs, but I don't get the hype... they are good, but far from great.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Renato Iodice said:

To Have And Not To Hold: sorry, I find it incredibly boring... I like the intro but then it becomes repetitive.

Mer Girl, Miles Away, Devil Pray, Keep It Together, Spanish Eyes, Human Nature, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You: don't misunderstand me, they are absolutely fine songs, but I don't get the hype... they are good, but far from great.

Mer Girl doesn't belong there omg

5 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Bitch I'm Loca - Way way below her standards for such a throwaway faceless generic track anyone else could have done.

As I've said before, the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a cougar seduction song. 

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Neither does Spanish Eyes. 

True that's one of the gems from the LAP album and I love her vocals in it. 

TBH I don't know if there are any tracks that people like and I don't but I'm tired of Human Nature being her go to "fuck you" anthem. I wish she would write another song like that instead of always bringing it out for similar purposes. :seeno:

5 minutes ago, Fighter said:

True that's one of the gems from the LAP album and I love her vocals in it. 

TBH I don't know if there are any tracks that people like and I don't but I'm tired of Human Nature being her go to "fuck you" anthem. I wish she would write another song like that instead of always bringing it out for similar purposes. :seeno:

I totally agree. 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:45 PM, IamZod said:

I loved This Used To Be My Playground at the time, and now, less so. It's quite a depressing song. I wonder if she dislikes it for that reason or whether she just associates it with the joyless experience of making the film. 

Depressing, sad, melancholic, wistful, ...that's why this song is one of my favorites!

Edited by Daphne Du Maurier (see edit history)

Just now, wtg1987 said:

Hung up and 4 minutes are 2 songs that come to mind - I don’t despise them like I do bitch I’m Madonna and turn up the radio - I think they are very generic songs but glad she had huge hits with them ?

Hung Up is pastiche and without the ABBA sample it would not have worked as a song or been a hit.