What is your meaning of the song "Something to remember"

byebyebaby

Eh, I think she performed that song in character, from the perspective of Breathless Mahoney. Spoilers ahead if you haven't watched the movie but Breathless flirts with Dick Tracy unashamedly throughout the movie. She lies down on the desk seductively and tries to kiss him, but he doesn’t kiss her back because he's a gentleman and loves his fiancé Tess ("I hear you still say, love yourself"). Dick never took advantage of her like the rest and I think that made Breathless fall in love with him ("I let people buy my love and I never got to sing my songs for you"). In the final scene of the movie, Breathless is dying and asks Tracy is he loved her, he responds by kissing her ("we weren't meant to be, at least not in this lifetime"). She was a villain but at the end of the day, she just wanted to be loved.

I think it's that he gave her a message to carry with her, a lesson she learned. In the lyrics, she says, "No other man said love yourself" and "I still hear you say love yourself". He told her and also showed her the power of loving yourself and accepting who you truly are. Maybe he couldn't love her fully, but he loved himself enough to do what he wanted and to live for himself.

There's underlying themes of self-love and the strength and happiness that comes with it in some of Madonna's songs (Secret, Express Yourself). It's something that many people struggle with and I think it's an important message: love yourself first.

I have a feeling it's loosely about or at least inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat. Madonna said it isn't about Sean and coming after the songs on Like A Prayer I'm not sure she would be in such a conciliatory frame of mind. Basquiat had died a couple of years earlier from a heroin overdose.

I'm certain Crave is also about him.

My theory is that she fell pregnant with his child in the early 80's just before she became famous and that she lost or aborted their child as her career was taking off.

I think the song Crave is about this longing for the child she never had and in the video Swae Lee plays the grown child of Madonna and Basquiat. Swaes verse...go listen to it. "it's on the line girl you're risking everything" talking about her decision to chose between a child and her career. In the video she lies and on the ground and holds her stomach while uttering the heartbreaking lines, " Ran so far to try to find the thing I lacked and there it was
Inside of me".

She knew he was never going to always be for her at that time and she states last year he was always with other girls "my love life can get crazy...it's over ex rated"

I think the love notes she sends via carrier pigeon signify the songs she has written about or for him over the years. 

It's no mistake that Madonna wears a cap like early Madonna. (theres a picture of them together and she's wearing exactly the same hat..and of course the beauty spot from her early career returns in the video. When her and Swae touch at the end, just  before he disappears, there is a spark of electricity which nods to reenacted another great artist Michaelangelo and his famous painting "the creation of Adam" The first man. eg : life.

image.png.aba53f6bfa14c0337ffc3c92d3bfcf0e.png 

and a bright almost Graffiti style Versace jacket in the video and that it's filmed on a New York roof top like the early days they spent together. I'm pretty sure she was with him when her famous new york rooftop photoshoot was taken.

As always with Madonna the song and it's lyrics have dual meaning. "My cravings get dangerous, I don't think we should play with this." could easily relate to heroin addiction.  "i'm attracted to danger..I crave it..don't we all want what we know is not good for us...what we know might break us in the end..and yet we fly towards it?"

She also writes the message "the heart is a lonely hunter" alluding to the fact that she still hasn't found that true love again. "the feelings never fade"

The other messages at the beginning of the video.

"I'm waiting for you,..I have always been waiting for you". I think she may view him as the one that got away. Read his theories on life and art and you'll see that Madonna has been living that ethos her whole career. I have this vibe that when she meets him on the other side she'll ask "did I do good?"

That's my theory anyway. 

Oh see I thought this was about how Breathless Mahoney was just a skanky golddigging club singer then Dick Tracy came along with all his hot daddy will save you bravado, so she decided to take out the criminals herself so she could prove that she was the real heroine of the film all along despite Tess' last name being Trueheart.