What is your meaning of the song "I'm So Stupid"

byebyebaby

I've always thought this song was about about being caught up in success, greed and wealth (and doing whatever you could to get somewhere) and learning how that's not what's important in the end. Very powerful song. I've always loved it and the strings. 

Listen to the entire American Life album, then go and read up on Kabbalah and you'll get what she's talking about. Everything on that album has an underlying Kabbalic theme, a lot stronger than on Ray of Light even. 

Here's what she said while promoting the "American Life" album back in 2003:

All of these songs reflect my current state of mind. I feel like I have just woken up out of a dream. They range from dismay and anger to joy and certainty. Hopefully, I have taken the personal and made it universal.

About "Hollywood", for Q Magazine:

I’ve had 20 years of fame and fortune, and I feel that I have a right to an opinion on what it is and what it isn’t. All everyone is obsessed about at the moment is being a celebrity. I’m saying that’s bullshit and who knows better than me? Before it happens you have all kinds of notions about how wonderful celebrity is and how much joy it’s going to bring you. Then you arrive … Look like this you’re gonna be happy. Drive this car you’re gonna be popular. Wear these clothes and people are gonna wanna fuck you. It’s a very powerful illusion and people are caught up in it, including myself. Or I was.

Edited by Prayer (see edit history)

So Stupid expresses disillusionment [ "I used to live in a fuzzy dream" and "It was just greed" ] > having spent a large portion of her life trying to be something she's not. Also, the song is about trying to attain an unachievable dream. And when she realizes her dreams and ambitions were shallow and pointless she looks back and thinks to herself "I'm So Stupid".

1 hour ago, Levon said:

I always thought it was an allude to the Greek philosopher Socrates: "I know that I know nothing". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

It’s actually based on Kabbalic teachings and a good M fan is one who understands  the basic concepts of Kabbalah since it decodes most of her lyrics from Ray of Light onward. 

4 hours ago, cedric said:

We don't have to take some things seriously... life is too short to fight with some shitty people... Don't pretent, have your own personality... just be yourself! THE BEAUTY IS WHERE YOU FIND IT!!! Vogue, vogue, vogue... :lol:

Wish she’d actually sing that damn bridge again.