Post your interpretation of Madonna's songs!

John Wayne

27 minutes ago, Fighter said:

Candy Shop is a capitalist anthem 

I actually thought it was M reading out the service list of a brothel when I first ever heard it. 

queen of pop madonna GIF

8 minutes ago, louis.exe said:

I'm pretty sure Deeper And Deeper is about a man coming out of the closet 

My theory was that it was from a perspective of a young woman from a conservative family. She talks about her mother and her father "molding her" in the song and I always thought that meant they had given her a very conservative view of sex and sexuality.

When she says, "Someone said that romance was dead/ And I believed it instead of remembering/ What my mama told me", I thought that she was talking about how sex is reserved for marriage and long term relationships, but then she heard that romance wasn't popular and that young people didn't really care about not having sex before marriage and it allowed her to feel free enough to do it herself.

And the whole "Never gonna hide it again" was about sexual liberation and not having to hide your desires. And, when she talks about "falling in love", she can't help it because sex was always something she associated with love and she can't get rid of that association just yet.

The music video is very 60's and that was when people started feeling more sexually liberated and all about "free love". The balloons she loses in the end of the video could represent her innocence, her upbringing.

But, it fits both ways because it could easily be about a man coming out as well. I've heard a lot of different theories about the song and I think that's what makes it so great. I personally connect to the young woman interpretation and that's probably why I did interpret it that way.

40 minutes ago, louis.exe said:

I'm pretty sure Deeper And Deeper is about a man coming out of the closet 

I thought it was a homage to Linda Lovelace and Deep Throat when I first heard it in 1992 before the video was released. When I saw the video and the references to Andy Warhol and the Factory Stars, like Little Joe etc... I then I started to see a rainbow connection.