Underrated Madonna Remixes

louis.exe

I guess it all depends on how one interprets this question.  For me, I think most of her earlier mixes which were far more simple and didn't change the songs into something entirely different are underrated.  Give me the extended mix/versions of Borderline, Burning Up, Papa Don't Preach, Who's That Girl, Causing A Commotion, Open Your Heart, Like A Prayer, Vogue and Keep it Together anyday over the remixes that came along especially ln the mid to late 90's and throughout which turned a lot of the songs into something totally different.  Some worked for me, but many others didn't.  Some of the worst is when they take a songs and slow down her vocals and then layer it over some instrumental mix entirely different.  It's nauseating to hear those vocals slowed down like that. 

23 minutes ago, MarXus said:

I guess it all depends on how one interprets this question.  For me, I think most of her earlier mixes which were far more simple and didn't change the songs into something entirely different are underrated.  Give me the extended mix/versions of Borderline, Burning Up, Papa Don't Preach, Who's That Girl, Causing A Commotion, Open Your Heart, Like A Prayer, Vogue and Keep it Together anyday over the remixes that came along especially ln the mid to late 90's and throughout which turned a lot of the songs into something totally different.  Some worked for me, but many others didn't.  Some of the worst is when they take a songs and slow down her vocals and then layer it over some instrumental mix entirely different.  It's nauseating to hear those vocals slowed down like that. 

I agree. I prefer the mixes when they bore some resemblance to the original. Vogue had great mixes, as did Causing A Commotion.

The problem is, many remixers now are DJs who think they know what they’re doing. They often don’t. Just because you can play someones records doesn’t mean you can produce them.

i would say the UK mix of Everybody is underrated. It lifted a rather flat Mark Kamins production I thought. But because it’s never been released digitally or beyond the UK, virtually no one has heard it.

8 minutes ago, IamZod said:

I agree. I prefer the mixes when they bore some resemblance to the original. Vogue had great mixes, as did Causing A Commotion.

The problem is, many remixers now are DJs who think they know what they’re doing. They often don’t. Just because you can play someones records doesn’t mean you can produce them.

i would say the UK mix of Everybody is underrated. It lifted a rather flat Mark Kamins production I thought. But because it’s never been released digitally or beyond the UK, virtually no one has heard it.

Yes, Everybody should have been included in my above list of songs I prefer over the DJ remixes who pretty much rape and mutilate songs to make some silly club mix. Anymore, any club remix has that same pulsating sound every songs has. 

I don't mind some of the songs she had remixed that added something new to it, but when they simply just lift her vocals and either slow it down or speed it up and place it within some instrumental mix of something entirely different, doesn't work for me. 

American Life (Peter Rauhofer's American Anthem Part 1) breaks up the vocal into a much more commercial structure. Surprised a radio edit of this wasn't tried out at radio. Much more instant than the standard version.

The Missy Elliott American Dream Remix is sadly an abomination.