New recording/touring deal??

Guest Sonny

Hey guys, I don't know if there is already a topic about this but I would like to discuss it with you. Are there any rumours or news regarding her future recording/touring deal? When she last signed with Live Nation in 2007, it was announced before her deal with Warner ended. If I'm not wrong, her deal with Interscope/Live Nation will soon come to an end, so I was wondering, what will happen next.

I hope she goes back to Warner. They worked well together. Nothing since she left has really performed at expectation other than the tours. I don’t think Live Nation cared about the recording side of things they just wanted the tour revenue. 

Unfortunately after The Madame X album and tour, I don’t feel she is in the strongest position to negotiate an amazing deal anywhere (much like the issue Diana Ross had). She may decide to go to with BMG Rights Management who just release the music for the artist who retains full ownership. They do the job of the label for a fee. Lots of heritage acts go this route. Personally, if it were me, that’s the way I would go if I didn’t want to go back to Warner.

Yes I agree. I also think that she should go back to Warners or release music on her own label with BMG Rights Management as a distributor (Janet Jackson has also gone this route for example). Her Live Nation deal really focused on the touring and less on her music.

Let’s not forget that 13 years ago live nation was only a touring business to begin with - I can’t see them renewing their contract with Madonna seeing as this tour has underperformed and the albums since confessions haven’t been big sellers - I think she will maybe start up her own label again ? Difficult to know where she will go next as there isn’t much appetite for her music with the general public buying sadly ?

it would be great if she could make a deal with warner that would allow her to record and release new material and them to release material from the back catalogue and the vaults. As for touring, I think from here on out she will probably work on a single tour basis with promotors, it's in no one's interest to have a 5 or 1o year agreement imo

Individual tour promoters makes sense. But I absolutely believe that another tour should be in support of new material and the embracing of her back catalogue with decent reissues. A good angle would be to do a new album with collaborations with previous writers and producers - Jellybean/Bray/Leonard/Pettibone/Orbit/Mirawis/Price. Even Nile Rodgers. That would generate a lot of publicity.

Just because they are from her past doesn’t mean they stopped evolving as people, songwriters and producers and could actually all bring great ideas to the table.

It's interesting how so many are wanting for her to go back to Warners, ignoring and forgetting how they dropped the ball with her, the last several years she was with them.  Her going back to them, will not change anything.

The fact is; she is an older artist.  Record companies aren't going to invest much time in someone like her anymore.  Not only that, the industry has changed so much, Madonna is no longer fitting in that mold they are creating with younger and newer artists. 

As for Live Nation, the idea was that Live Nation was going to become a record distributor when she signed her 360 deal with them back in 2007.  That didn't pan out.  Still, Madonna made a lot of money for them.  It was an all inclusive deal back then, and no doubt it's been re-negotiated several times since. 

As long as Live Nation remains as the top touring company, they will continue to deal with Madonna, even if it's tour by tour.  They are a touring and merchandising company and unless something better comes along in the future for Madonna (which I doubt), she'll remain touring contracted through Live Nation.  Thinking that a 60 something pop star is going to make some huge deal with them or anyone at this point is being unrealistic.  The next big deal she'll be making will be a huge residency deal, but that's if she's willing to settle for such.  I suspect in the next ten years or so, she won't have much of a choice. 

She will never return to warner
Her success decreases, the older she gets,
she is not an exception of the rule, this happens to all artists.
And what success do you expect in the era of streaming, when no one else buys albums anymore.

stop living in a twilight zone 

I also think that she will continue to tour with a live nation

Some people here should really chill a bit and stop being so damn aggressive and negative. No one is expecting her to have a huge multi-million dollar deal again or that a new label would bring her back on top of the charts. She is an aging music artist and the music industry has changed (due to streaming services etc.) so I think that everybody here knows that her success is meant to decrease.

We are just discussing the options she has to release future music and some people should remember that even Prince, who had one of the biggest disputes in music history with Warners, returned to the label shortly before his death and even gave permission to re-release his Purple Rain album.

Returning to Warners could mean releasing new music but also embracing her back catalogue, as @IamZodstated, since her new music clearly isn't selling like it used to do and both parties could benefit from it.

But then again, I would prefer M to found her own label like Maverick and have total creative control over her music. In the end, I think that she and us fans would be the happiest this way.

I would just like for her to be with a label that will really promote her music. A lot of artists who have been in the music industry for a long time put out new music and it's almost like it never happened because the only people that really hear about it are the fans (not trying to point fingers at any specific labels, like Live Nation, though). It seems like people forget about these albums so quickly and that's why it feels like every era is getting shorter.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I don’t want her to return to Warner for more success, nobody said that. Nobody is “living in a twilight zone”, I just think they could handle her better, and we have more of a shot of the re-issues if she goes back, like Prince did when he went back. We have more of a chance of her paying attention to her back catalogue. :Madonna004:

20 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I don’t want her to return to Warner for more success, nobody said that. Nobody is “living in a twilight zone”, I just think they could handle her better, and we have more of a shot of the re-issues if she goes back, like Prince did when he went back. We have more of a chance of her paying attention to her back catalogue. :Madonna004:

I know this wasn't directed at me, since you quoted something of someone else, but as I stated above, pretty much the last 8 years of her career with them, they weren't handling her any better. It's strange how quickly some fans forgot how they were not promoting her very well. 

Also, I don't think we would have "more of a shot of the re-issues" or "her paying attention to her back catalogue"  anymore either.  She is the one who is keeping her back catalogue and re-issues being re-visted from happening. Warners could easily do it now, but the smart savvy business woman she is, she obviously has a lot of say in how her back catalogue is re-visited.  I know most of us are dying for some remasters and a huge definitive collection, but she's just not ready for that.  We just have to respect that.  Besides, it's not like her stuff isn't out there.  Even with the lack of physical copies of some of her tours, etc., it's not like we live in the dark ages. Everything is out there. The quality may not be up to par for some, but I can't tell you how many times I've enjoyed watching Blond Ambition Tour on various social media or digital media.  Again, it may not be Blu-Ray/4K, but I also recognize, Madonna is still in the mindset that Truth or Dare is the way she wants that tour witnessed through. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
46 minutes ago, artlover said:

I really wish she would live Interscope or Universal nonetheless. i think this label doesn't do her any justice and it's not fair. She could go back to Warner. She wouldn't need to go back to Sire. Maybe actually under Maverick. The prodigal child'd be back home! 

A return to Maverick would be fantastic. And I agree, I don’t think Interscope does her much justice either. 

I doubt she would ever go back to Warner unless they offered her huge chunks of cash along with more rights over her past materials when it comes to reissues, re-releases and new content from the vaults. She has to sign off on any changes or additions which is why they release the same versions again and again with nothing tacked on. So unless the two work something out, it's bound to be nothing but the same reissues in different colors with the same packaging from them. She also sued Warner for many reasons before she left and it shows she couldn't wait to leave them with how the last few releases were rushed and poorly executed.

She hasn't signed anything at least what has been heard or reported through the grapevine. If she does want to release future albums, she'll no doubt either resign with Live Nation (she's completed the 10 year deal already) or shop for a new label.

She doesn’t have to go back to Warner to let her old stuff out, they just need her permission, which i guess they never get.

But what do you expect from label or management.
Why dont you think that problem is possible in her herself, simply not wanting to obey or do everything her own way.

She said during a promotional campaign  RH  that she had no contract with any label.

As far as we know, an interscope serves only as a distributor.
Maverick was in charge as her management and this year she has a new PR team.

I think she should create a new label (never look back, it's a waste of time...)

However.... I want her to work with Patrick Leonard again, and make GOOD, TIMELESS music!! ( so...A man can tell a thousand lies..)

But right know she has to HEAL!!! she cancelled today's show in Lisbon...I'm worried about her!

2 hours ago, Askeroff said:

She doesn’t have to go back to Warner to let her old stuff out, they just need her permission, which i guess they never get.

But what do you expect from label or management.
Why dont you think that problem is possible in her herself, simply not wanting to obey or do everything her own way.

She said during a promotional campaign  RH  that she had no contract with any label.

As far as we know, an interscope serves only as a distributor.
Maverick was in charge as her management and this year she has a new PR team.

That's the impression I got for the last two albums.  Since Live Nation wasn't able to become that distributor, she had to see out for other options. I think her deal with Interscope is simply to distribute her albums.  I'm sure they feel a bit of an obligation to push it some, but I never felt they did much, and Madonna her management have done more than anyone else for the last two albums.

Shes a billionaire. Whatever she chooses to do next would be for her own entertainment only, she doesnt need the job anymore to make money off of it, more likely it is becoming a way for her to stay alive. Madame X was the beginning of that mindset.

Im on board with whatever she chooses to do next as long as she remains healthy and not pushing herself to the limits

5 hours ago, madonnagreece said:

Shes a billionaire. Whatever she chooses to do next would be for her own entertainment only, she doesnt need the job anymore to make money off of it, more likely it is becoming a way for her to stay alive. Madame X was the beginning of that mindset.

Im on board with whatever she chooses to do next as long as she remains healthy and not pushing herself to the limits

Hmm?  I don't believe she's a "billionaire" nor can I believe she doesn't need to make money.  She's a corporation at this point.  She has a lot of people to pay, including those in her personal life.  Not to say she hasn't got a lot of sound investments that probably have her set for life, but entertaining is a huge part of her life.  The way she chooses to entertain takes money being she's such a visionary.  I believe her when she says she isn't making money on this tour.  Tells me that she's doing this for the fans.  Trying to make it small and intimate.  Unfortunately, her health isn't making that easy on her.