35 Years of the Material Girl!

MarXus

35 years ago, this week, Madonna's second single from 'Like A Virgin' was released to the world.  This among her follow up singles, only catapulted her to new heights as a musician and an entertainer.  By the summer of '85, she was a world-wide phenomenon.  Material Girl was a tongue and cheek song about materialism.  The video borrowed from Marilyn Monroe's performance in the 1953 film, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".  Feel free to add your thoughts of this song and/or experience with the release of this song or how you came to know this song over the years:

Madonna_-_Material_Girl_(single).png

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I know this is one of her most well-known songs in her catalogue, and she seems to have taken a disliking towards it, but it remains such a fantastic song and everything about it really is so iconic. And I love that single art! 

4 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I know this is one of her most well-known songs in her catalogue, and she seems to have taken a disliking towards it, but it remains such a fantastic song and everything about it really is so iconic. And I love that single art! 

I think she's learned to appreciate it more recently, but I have to think she shuns it because it's a song she didn't write and she got sick of people calling her "The Material Girl" over it when she always claimed she wasn't such.

Oh I forgot how much I loved the Reinvention performance of Material Girl. Thanks for posting. I loved how she rocked this song on her guitar. I'll always love the video too and her classic Hollywood look. So fun. Happy birthday to this classic and one that helped put her on the map. 

I never really got into this song until about a year ago when I started hearing it on my local retro radio station more frequently and I fell in love with its campy vibes.

For a long time, Madonna really didn't like being associated with this song, so I learnt to not take it seriously. It's obviously an exaggeration/dramatization. I also like how she reclaimed the name "Material Girl" later on.

To me, it's a very fun song and it's definitely very iconic.