How Could Madonna Comeback?

eXtremeOccident

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

The problem with a biopic is that Madonna hasn't really overcome any huge obstacle in her life that would necessarily interest the general public.  For instance, we had Tina Turner who had an abusive husband and she had to get out from underfoot from him and then went solo.  The focus was on that struggle.  With someone like Freddie Mercury, the focus was on both how he looked, his sexuality and him contracting HIV. Right now, the latter is still an issue many comes to grips with.  I haven't seen the Elton Biopic, but I assume there was similar life choices people can relate to that he went through. 

With Madonna, she overcome things on the business end of things being she was a woman in the music business, but I'm not sure that would be enough to interest people.  She never came off as a victim at any point in her life.  There is no struggle most people would warm up to in a story about her.  

Well, she survived a lot of drama and trauma: her mother dying when she was 5, being raped in New York, most of her friends dying in the 80s, her 1st divorce, all the 1992 backlash, a stalker who wanted to kill her, SHE almost died giving birth to Rocco (!!), a second marriage with a man who basically wanted to change everything about her but ended up cheating on her, her brother betraying her for money and writing a book... I mean. Her life could be a soap opera!

She never came off as a victim cause she never wanted to be seen that way. But she's been a victim many times. And you could see a change in her Billboard speech in 2016, she was vulnerable for the first time.

Of course she would need to be open and willing to share her true story. Same if she ever considers writing her memories.

Edited by Prayer (see edit history)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

eXtremeOccident

To be fair, I was watching The Confessions Tour recently, and she didn't dance *that* much on that tour. I think she could still pull off a show like that today if there were a few modifications. Some of the most stunning performances had minimal choreography on her part (Future Lovers, Jump (minus the bridge, which wasn't overly impressive either lol), Live To Tell, Forbidden Love, Like It Or Not, Lucky Star...) She needs to go back to working with a creative team that knows how to play up

Andymad

Better management, better writers and producers because let’s face it, her song writing isn’t cutting it these days. I mean that with love tbh.  It can be hard to recapture the magic she’s had throughout her career. I think she can attain some things she once had successfully before but I don’t think I’d call it a comeback. She’s really into trying new things, whether they bring her luck or not. Me personally, I’d love a dance album, going back to what Madonna was all about. Dance.    S

Prayer

The only hope for a big comeback now is fully embracing her legacy. An official mega Hollywood biopic + compilation/greatest hits tour would do wonders for her image. It's time. I love "Madame X" and I'm very grateful she's still hungry and wanting to do new things, but it's time to remind people her great legacy. I was at a party with friends of all ages recently and I was super surprised how now Elton Jonh is super cool and popular again. I was like "what?". And it's all because of h

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I would personally love to see a movie depicting her career beginnings and getting her first recording contract in France. I think that would make a really interesting movie with the right director and the right actors. 

I think a really cool way to do a Madonna movie would be to do sort of like a Truth or Dare meets the Morning Show (Apple TV) type movie. 

High drama, business woman calling the shots, personal tragedies off stage and then she must hit the stage and become larger than life and show no indication that she's even human.

Cut to an amazing performance that is shot like Express Yourself in Truth or Dare. 

There's so many things that have happened to her personally that we really don't know anything about. 

Divorce from Guy Ritchie- She did all of Hard Candy promotion without anyone knowing she was getting a divorce when it's basically laid bare in the record. So show the emotional trauma behind the scenes and then cut to lights, camera, interview... business woman promoting her record.  

Adopting David controversy, and then also the girls

Chris' book. 

The problem is... it would take a VERY good actress to pull off a Madonna movie if it were to be successful. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
20 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

The problem is... it would take a VERY good actress to pull off a Madonna movie if it were to be successful. 

fruit eating GIF by Miley Cyrus

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

I agree with other people though, She doesn't need a comeback.  Fuck the mainstream.  She can headline Coachella whenever she wants, even after putting out a relatively unknown record. Mainstream doesn't measure success. 

Madame X is only "unknown" because she's an older artist.  If she was 20 or 30 something, people would be eating this album up and calling it genius.  "Crave" would have definitely been a top 40 hit! 

• 2 weeks later...

I think what she needs to worry about now is her image and how her past work is perceived, not any future albums. I have met so many people my age (in their 20s) who don't know any of her songs, not even LAP or Vogue. It's really sad. 

Here's what I think should happen. Allow a famous director to make a film about her life, heavy on her family history, pro-LGTBQ activisism in her young years and feminst issues (her rape, playboy 85, Erotica etc). At the same time as the Premier, she should release a Greatest hits with her song rearranged and re-recorded with other artists. The first single (maybe something like Into the groove ft Ariana Grande, or Like a prayer ft Lady Gaga) should be promoted like hell (getting a paid deal with radio stations). 3 months after that, embark on a greatest hits tour in stadiums and put on the greatest, crowd-pleasing show she possibly can, starting on time every time. 

And then, she can focus on new material. But this is never gonna happen because she doesn't care and she despises the idea of "playing to the gallery" 

No offense to any of the posts but all of those are terrible ideas. Things that involve duets with younger singers will come off as desperate (whether that's the intention or not). She's already went down that road with Maluma, Quavo, Swae Lee, Anitta, Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift (iheartmusic), Chance the Rapper, MIA, etc. Her fans don't like the duets and the general public sees it as her trying to hard to be cool.

The biographical movie idea isn't good. The ideas suggested in this topic for her life story are not interesting. Maybe at the pinnacle of her career it would've been interesting, not now. There was a script written about her becoming famous in New York in the early 80s up until her Like a Virgin VMA performance titled Blonde Ambition and it was an amazing script. However, by the end of the script, she is viewed as a heartless bitch who just wants fame more than anything. That wouldn't help her image.

Doing another "disco" album? No. This would only appeal to her gay fanbase and no one else. Plus her dancing abilities as of late makes me think she couldn't keep up with a heavy dancing tour.

But I think (as some have mentioned above) a catchy, overall uplifting well written pop album that sounds fresh, fun, and a little mature coupled with better PR / management (not crying about  being a victim all the time on Instagram, showing up on time, etc) could help her win a  broader audience. Sure, a younger artist can have a hit no matter what but if she really puts out a great sounding, well written album, it'll easily be widely consumed. In the past, I always thought Madonna would've sounded great making an album like Lana Del Rey's Born to Die or (don't hate) Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster. But that type of sound would be outdated at this point.

Her output from Hard Candy until now has been flawed in many ways. There were gems along the way that could've been reworked but it's been an overall miss sonically 

1 hour ago, I don't search I find said:

I think what she needs to worry about now is her image and how her past work is perceived, not any future albums. I have met so many people my age (in their 20s) who don't know any of her songs, not even LAP or Vogue. It's really sad. 

100%. This is what makes me sad about Madonna nowadays. When I bring up her concert tours and performances, 30 & unders literally laugh me under the table. It's shocking to me that she's been forgotten as the pioneer of pop shows this easily. Maybe because all the pop girls have replicated her formula nowadays and -- God, dare I say it -- Sometimes execute it with better production / setlists now?

I've watched the Reinvention Tour, Drowned World Tour, and Confessions Tour bootlegs in the last week. This woman used to be a PERFORMER. Jesus -- The facial expressions, the perfectly built choreography, the flawless visuals, the megamix sort of setlist flow, the high-energy endings, the constantly new approaches to performances (she really didn't start recycling ideas until S&S), the mystique she maintained with minimal crowd conversation, the consummate professional she was as a headliner. 

Her concert tours used to be nothing short of art installations. To me, it never was just about her music or her music videos. Madonna the artist was all about Madonna live, and to me, the General Public's tendency to forget THAT aspect of her is most tragic to me. 

I will never forget seeing The Confessions Tour. There has never been a room I've been in that was that electric with anticipation and energy before or since that night. 

It's very simple.

A Greatest Hits album with heavy promotion and a whopping new dance anthem included. Followed by a worldwide Greatest Hits Tour. Something epic and celebratory like the Superbowl but a full concert/tour.

There's no other option now. Call it 'The Immaculate World Tour' and the album 'The Immaculate Collection 40th Anniversary' or something like that. It's not the most creative idea but it'll SELL.

5 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

It's very simple.

A Greatest Hits album with heavy promotion and a whopping new dance anthem included. Followed by a worldwide Greatest Hits Tour. Something epic and celebratory like the Superbowl but a full concert/tour.

There's no other option now. Call it 'The Immaculate World Tour' and the album 'The Immaculate Collection 40th Anniversary' or something like that. It's not the most creative idea but it'll SELL.

I always like "The Second Coming" as the bookend title. :whipping:

Guest Nobody Knows Me
On 2/13/2020 at 3:27 AM, dankpepe said:

Doing another "disco" album? No. This would only appeal to her gay fanbase and no one else. Plus her dancing abilities as of late makes me think she couldn't keep up with a heavy dancing tour.

Well it’s all a matter of opinion, but I personally like the idea of a dance-pop disco album, and it’s not like she’d have to dance on a tour. Kylie and Cher are doing their dance and disco albums and aren’t dancing like it’s the Sticky & Sweet Tour. 

When you look back at Drowned World, Re-Invention and maybe even Confessions, she isn’t really dancing to the point where it looks exhausting, so I’m sure she can still do polished and brilliant tours without the big dancing element. 

4 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Well it’s all a matter of opinion, but I personally like the idea of a dance-pop disco album, and it’s not like she’d have to dance on a tour. Kylie and Cher are doing their dance and disco albums and aren’t dancing like it’s the Sticky & Sweet Tour. 

When you look back at Drowned World, Re-Invention and maybe even Confessions, she isn’t really dancing to the point where it looks exhausting, so I’m sure she can still do polished and brilliant tours without the big dancing element. 

I don't think a pop sounding "dance" album is a bad idea. I just don't see why she'd make another disco sounding record again

I prefer her to work with whom she pleases.  It's worked for her just fine this long.  Then again, I'm not expecting a 60 yr old pop star to score top 40 hits, that is clearly aimed at teeny boppers or under 30 crowd.  She's a legacy at this point.  Anything she releases now, is just the cherry on top.  She doesn't need a "comeback" because she's never gone anywhere.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I don’t want her to return to trying to chart well with duets with younger artists. I’d personally like to see her just make music that can appeal to both herself and her fans. 

46 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

I don't think a pop sounding "dance" album is a bad idea. I just don't see why she'd make another disco sounding record again

Well she’s made as many pop sounding dance albums as disco albums. 
I don’t urgently want her to make a dance or a disco album, I just enjoy those genres so I would probably love it :jumpy: