Keeping it Together for 30 years!

MarXus

Keep It Together : Do You prefer the album or the single remix version?  

43 members voted

1. 1. Which version of Keep It Together do you prefer?

• Album Version
    • Single Remix Version

19 hours ago, MarXus said:

Yeah, I have to wonder if it's not official still.  Not that I know what they played in all major regions, but the regular single remix seemed to be the version most played.  But who knows?  I had fun listening to it, but I can't help to think someone just sped up and made a quick edit for that version. I don't ever recall an official 7' Version of this (like this existing officially). But I realize some songs had Promo versions that most people never heard except from the actual promo copies.

The 7" Remix was promo-only! It was never released elsewhere. It definately had the Shep treatment, but is closer to the album version (similar to the 7" remix of "Express Yourself" and the album version).

The Single Remix was widely released. I prefer that version. The only thing I wondered is why the first bit of piano is missing from it. I added it myself, taking the piano bit from the 12" Remix.

5 hours ago, Holger said:

The 7" Remix was promo-only! It was never released elsewhere. It definately had the Shep treatment, but is closer to the album version (similar to the 7" remix of "Express Yourself" and the album version).

The Single Remix was widely released. I prefer that version. The only thing I wondered is why the first bit of piano is missing from it. I added it myself, taking the piano bit from the 12" Remix.

Thank You. Of course the 7" Remix is official. Im holding it in my hands and its NO CDR.

scan.jpeg

1 hour ago, rlittler81 said:

The first Madonna 12" I bought was 'Vogue' and I loved the 12" Remix of 'Keep It Together' on the B-side. Heard it was influenced by Soul II Soul's sound at the time. Did I hear Queen Latifah did a remix that remains unreleased?

Hmm Soul II Soul influence?? The song was heavily influenced by Sly and The Family Stone's Family affair.  Also, I've never heard that Queen Latifah did a remix.  Not that it was entirely impossible, but she was just starting her career at the time in music and wasn't very well known yet.

44 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Hmm Soul II Soul influence?? The song was heavily influenced by Sly and The Family Stone's Family affair.  Also, I've never heard that Queen Latifah did a remix.  Not that it was entirely impossible, but she was just starting her career at the time in music and wasn't very well known yet.

The album version is a tribute to Sly & The Family Stone, Shep's remixes were apparently meant to sound like Soul II Soul.

33 minutes ago, rlittler81 said:

The album version is a tribute to Sly & The Family Stone, Shep's remixes were apparently meant to sound like Soul II Soul.

But the single remix alone sounds more of a Sly & The Family Stone influence than even the original.  Many of the remixes implement that sound as well.  Also, Shep remixed and produced most of those tracks that were remixed. I'm not doubting you, it's just I've never heard that it was influenced by Soul II Soul.  It doesn't mean it isn't true. I guess I need to listen to them to see the similarities. Thanks for the info, by the way. :)

The remixes are very Soul II Soul, which is part of why they sound to me like they meander along. Soul II Soul had a very identifiable sound, really evident on KIT. 

I doubt if Soul II Soul copied Shep Pettibone, so he must have been influenced by them, as they were ‘hot’ at the time. I think a fair amount of Erotica retains that influence.

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

She did that mix of David Bowie's Fame '90 release at about the same time

2 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Oh I see. I thought you meant Madonna.  But still, I wasn't aware that Queen Latifah did this.  So yeah, if she was doing remixes for someone like David Bowie, there certainly is a chance she could have done with Madonna.  If it exists, I'd love to hear it.  I wasn't a fan of her music back then, but she does have a good voice.