The Holy Trinity: LAP, ROL, COADF

MarXus

The Holy Trinity POLL  

80 members voted

1. 1. Which of these three albums is your most favorite?

• Like A Prayer
    • Ray of Light
    • Confessions On A Dance Floor

19 hours ago, Voguerista said:

@MarXussorry on the laughing smiley thing. I took it too seriously when there were a series of them. Please ...can you forgive and can we get past this? I had a bad day ...and I'm not perfect and I'm really sorry. I don't know what else to do or say.  :suffer::sis:

To be completely honest, I haven't thought of it since it happened.  I don't waste my time mulling over things that people get upset or dramatic over on the internet. I've learned with some people, no matter how much you try to explain things, they still think the worst. I did explain what I was laughing at in that thread, but you chose to get dramatic and think the worst still.  That said, I appreciate you acknowledging that you over reacted and now have apologized.  Unfortunately, it's the third time you got upset over an emoji, so pardon me if I keep my distance from you from this point on.  As stated in the past, I'm not here to make enemies. I'm here to share my passion for Madonna.  Thanks again and good luck with your journey here.

On 2/3/2020 at 12:35 AM, PWCCA said:

Like a Prayer. It's a masterpiece. Closely followed by Ray of Light. I would actually replace COADF with True Blue as a 'holy trinity of Madonna'... it sold a lot more, produced more hits, excellent videos, and was simply iconic. COADF was a massive hit in Europe, but didn't really have the same impact in the US

Exactly and the videos from COADF were crap - I don’t even watch them since 2006 - true blue is and will always be my fave m album followed by LAP and ROL ?

25 minutes ago, MarXus said:

To be completely honest, I haven't thought of it since it happened.  I don't waste my time mulling over things that people get upset or dramatic over on the internet. I've learned with some people, no matter how much you try to explain things, they still think the worst. I did explain what I was laughing at in that thread, but you chose to get dramatic and think the worst still.  That said, I appreciate you acknowledging that you over reacted and now have apologized.  Unfortunately, it's the third time you got upset over an emoji, so pardon me if I keep my distance from you from this point on.  As stated in the past, I'm not here to make enemies. I'm here to share my passion for Madonna.  Thanks again and good luck with your journey here.

Ok sounds good. Sorry I tried to make peace.  I'll keep my distance too for the same reasons and for how you've been at times to me and others. Good Luck to you too. 

20 hours ago, Karma said:

Ray Of Light is one of the best albums by any artist. It's her masterpiece.

Like A Prayer has two of her greatest songs but I happen to enjoy the dance remixes on The Immaculate Collection better (heresy, I know!). 

Confessions is a great cohesive project but Like A Virgin and True Blue are definitely more iconic.

Back on topic... Which Like A Prayer songs do you like? 

The three albums I mentioned are actually a time that defined a huge shift in her music, career and fanbase.  I certainly do not discount True Blue or Like A Virgin. After all, the album cover for True Blue is quite iconic. 

On 2/15/2020 at 4:08 PM, MarXus said:

Back on topic... Which Like A Prayer songs do you like? 

The three albums I mentioned are actually a time that defined a huge shift in her music, career and fanbase.  I certainly do not discount True Blue or Like A Virgin. After all, the album cover for True Blue is quite iconic. 

I like every song on LAP except "Dear Jessie" and "Oh Father", although I respect their inclusion in the context of the album. That musical transition from childlike innocence to overcoming family trauma is brilliant.

I'd say it's her most autobiographical record, she addresses her catholic upbringing (Like A Prayer, Pray For Spanish Eyes, Act Of Contrition), relationship goals (Express Yourself, Love Song, Cherish), family (Promise To Try, Keep It Together) and the male authoritative figures in her life (Til Death Do Us Part, Oh Father). Again, "Dear Jessie" sticks out like a sore thumb but it works as a lightweight psychedelic lullaby among the heavier songs.

Like A Prayer is not my fave 80s album, maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet but I reckon it's culturally important and arguably the most prolific period of Madonna's career ("Like A Prayer" Pepsi controversy, most expensive video ever "Express Yourself", "Vogue", Dick Tracy, Blond Ambition Tour, The Immaculate Collection, Truth Or Dare -  back to back epicness!).

These are definitely her highest rated in GENERAL. I think most people fans and non-fans have at least one of these in their "fave/best Madonna album(s)" lists.

For me, Ray of Light will forever be her artistic peak. It was such a wonderful re-invention of herself as an artist and as a musician. It was like a butterfly hatching out of their cocoon. It earned her so much respect and elevated her to it-girl status again at the age of 40. That is something most people have never managed to do.

Like a Prayer would be second. This was the first time she went specifically autobiographical. her vocals are fantastic and the album, in comparison to her other 80s albums has aged like fine wine. It has huge cultural relevance and it paved the way for her ultimate commercial peak in 1990.

Confessions was sort of a third coming after American Life. The new-age Ray of Light so to speak. Except, it was a perfect blend of all her previous albums. The title is quintessential Madonna. Incorporating two things about her that are undoubtedly part of her essence: dance music and religious imagery. The music was amazing, the tour was amazing and a lot of songs were self-referential. It's fantastic. Probably the last time she will ever serve quality like this.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:26 AM, deathproof said:

This is a slap in the face.

Madonna. Like a Virgin. True Blue.

In my opinion, Madonna has two "Holy Trinitys":

The first Holy Trinity (Classic): True Blue - Like A Prayer - Erotica. The albums and their singles / remixes were masterpieces.

The second Holy Trinity (Modern): Ray of Light - Confessions on a Dance Floor - MDNA. (I still don't understand the reasons why fans hate MDNA. For me MDNA is one of her best Albums)

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I have to say that I never understood the massive love for ROL. Like BS, I think it’s a bit of a plodder. The title track and Frozen are superb, and I like Skin and one or two others, but I find it a difficult listen all the way through without getting bored. I’d rank it way down the list if rating her albums.

By comparison I can listen to LAP repeatedly and don’t think, Act Of Contrition aside, there’s any filler on there. Confessions is a very consistent record. Not all the songs are amazing, but it hangs together very well and does exactly what it should for a dance album.

I recognise ROL is an essential part of her artistic development though and I’m glad it got her back on track. Loved the artwork.

But Hard Candy is my favourite Madonna album, so what do I know!:fight:

12 hours ago, IamZod said:

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I have to say that I never understood the massive love for ROL. Like BS, I think it’s a bit of a plodder. The title track and Frozen are superb, and I like Skin and one or two others, but I find it a difficult listen all the way through without getting bored. I’d rank it way down the list if rating her albums.

By comparison I can listen to LAP repeatedly and don’t think, Act Of Contrition aside, there’s any filler on there. Confessions is a very consistent record. Not all the songs are amazing, but it hangs together very well and does exactly what it should for a dance album.

I recognise ROL is an essential part of her artistic development though and I’m glad it got her back on track. Loved the artwork.

But Hard Candy is my favourite Madonna album, so what do I know!:fight:

You lost me at “ Hard Candy is my favourite Madonna album “

?