The Holy Trinity: LAP, ROL, COADF

MarXus

The Holy Trinity POLL  

80 members voted

1. 1. Which of these three albums is your most favorite?

• Like A Prayer
    • Ray of Light
    • Confessions On A Dance Floor

Madonna-CD-LOT-LIKE-A-PRAYER-CONFESSIONS

So there is no doubt, for most fans Like A Prayer, Ray of Light and Confessions on a Dance Floor are among their most favorite albums and eras. Whether you agree or not, which of the three albums do you like most?  These albums have been known to cause a lot of friction between fans, and were times which new fans came in droves to hear her latest. 

Great idea for a thread but i can't vote on this. I love all three too much to even begin ranking them. On one hand i've probably listened the most to Ray Of Light and i find it to be her most coherent work of art to date. On the other hand COAD has a handful of the best dance tracks she's ever recorded. Meanwhile LAP has the strongest singles she's ever put out (LAP & EY) and the album stamped her icon status forever. My head hurts thinking about it, i'm logging of the internet goodbye. :Madonna041:

52 minutes ago, Hydrangeas Up Your Ass said:

Great idea for a thread but i can't vote on this. I love all three too much to even begin ranking them. On one hand i've probably listened the most to Ray Of Light and i find it to be her most coherent work of art to date. On the other hand COAD has a handful of the best dance tracks she's ever recorded. Meanwhile LAP has the strongest singles she's ever put out (LAP & EY) and the album stamped her icon status forever. My head hurts thinking about it, i'm logging of the internet goodbye. :Madonna041:

Hilarious!  And I hope you don't mind I laughed at your comment as I found it genuinely funny. I got chastise from another member for laughing at what they wrote in another thread. i guess some people assume the laughter emoticon as something more malice. LOL!  Anyway, like you, it's hard to decide, but I think there's just one classic album from that group that still tugs at my heart the most.  You have valid points though in having a hard time choosing. Thanks for making me laugh! 

Ray of Light is my personal favorite. It’s so influential, unique, cohesive and deep. It was the album/era that really pulled me into wanting to listen the rest of her discography. Such a beautiful album. 

COADF is great and it had songs that were very popular when I was growing up. LAP is one of those albums that I respect because I know it has a lot of meaning to other fans, but it’s just one that I never really got into myself. 

Like a Prayer. It's a masterpiece. Closely followed by Ray of Light. I would actually replace COADF with True Blue as a 'holy trinity of Madonna'... it sold a lot more, produced more hits, excellent videos, and was simply iconic. COADF was a massive hit in Europe, but didn't really have the same impact in the US

I too haven't experienced the LAP era and it probably will never resonate with me completely, at least sonically, but it's the only one of the three that inspires awe in me with songs like the title one, Oh Father, Act of Contrition. It's just so powerful.

That said, ROL and COADF are tied as my favorites. The first being the daylight sober and the latter being the midnight drunken meditation we all need. And their second singles are probably my favorite songs by her (those and This used to be my playground ?).

2 hours ago, kesiak said:

Confessions does not belong in the Holy Trinity in my opinion. If I had to choose between these 3 though it wold be Ray of Light. :)

I guess it depends on how you are looking at it.  Certainly, there were albums far more successful, but it just seems those three are known to be her most respected works.  Those are the three albums were very popular with a lot of fans and defines the fan base.  

Like A Prayer sort of guided my childhood, influencing my love for her even more. And then Confessions... I was FRESH out of the closet and ready to party. This guided my coming out tbh. Ray Of Light is in that sweet awkward spot. I actually didn’t REALLY give the album a chance until the DWT on HBO. Once I saw the set list I was like hmm let’s check out these song.

8 hours ago, Andymad said:

Like A Prayer sort of guided my childhood, influencing my love for her even more. And then Confessions... I was FRESH out of the closet and ready to party. This guided my coming out tbh. Ray Of Light is in that sweet awkward spot. I actually didn’t REALLY give the album a chance until the DWT on HBO. Once I saw the set list I was like hmm let’s check out these song.

I love reading stories like this. Thanks for sharing 

Ugh it's so hard to pick one... I love them all. I'll pick Confessions, besides loving it for it's music and everything about that era, it has a special place in my heart because it was the album that introduce Madonna to me. I was just a child when I saw Hung Up on tv and fall in love with her :heart:

But anyways, the three albums are all time favourites along with Erotica. :Madonna005:

Ray Of Light is one of the best albums by any artist. It's her masterpiece.

Like A Prayer has two of her greatest songs but I happen to enjoy the dance remixes on The Immaculate Collection better (heresy, I know!). 

Confessions is a great cohesive project but Like A Virgin and True Blue are definitely more iconic.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, MarXus said:

Hilarious!  And I hope you don't mind I laughed at your comment as I found it genuinely funny. I got chastise from another member for laughing at what they wrote in another thread. i guess some people assume the laughter emoticon as something more malice. LOL!  Anyway, like you, it's hard to decide, but I think there's just one classic album from that group that still tugs at my heart the most.  You have valid points though in having a hard time choosing. Thanks for making me laugh! 

@MarXussorry on the laughing smiley thing. I took it too seriously when there were a series of them. Please ...can you forgive and can we get past this? I had a bad day ...and I'm not perfect and I'm really sorry. I don't know what else to do or say.  :suffer::sis: