Favorite Rap or Hip Hop Artists To Have Worked With Madonna

Voguerista

Who has been your favorite Rap or Hip Hop artists to work with Madonna?

I'm not all too fond of her Rap/Hip Hop collaborations, but, if I had to pick my favorite, it would (no doubt) be "Revolver" with Lil Wayne. I also liked "4 Minutes" with Justin Timberlake & Timbaland and the "Into the Hollywood Groove” Gap Commercial with Missy Elliott.

53 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

All were pretty much awful. It was a nice lil novelty to see the collaborations on Erotica and Bedtime Stories, but that was really where she should have left it. ALL of the rap/hip-hop collaborations since then are simply beneath her... a massive lowering of her standards.

I think her younger voice and singing style on Erotica and BS fit rap collaborations much more. In recent years it's been her collaborators who have lowered their standards to be on a song with a big name artist. Most of the recent collaborations are simply bad songs and her voice simply didn't blend well with rap/hip hop, it felt awfully forced. Crave being the one true exception in my opinion and her vocal performance in it is actually pretty fun.

I agree that Chance The Rapper is great on Iconic, so good his performance is underrated, I actually became a fan of him via M probably would have skipped him. Everlast on the Waiting remix is a nice one too. The unreleased 2Pac version of IRBYL is so good, but I absolutely adore the Me’shell released version with her verse and bass playing (and the lesbian vibes of the released version, another underrated one). I love Quavo on Future. Swae Lee sounds beautiful all over Crave not just his verse. I actually love Kanye on The Beat Goes On, and I’m not a Kanye fan.

I prefer GMAYL and BIM without Minaj, MIA, and LMFAO (wtf was she thinking, shoulda got Damon Albarn and the Gorillaz instead for that one IMO). I also was disappointed in the Missy Elliott (Crap Jeans and that Terrible remix) and Timbaland collaborations overall, and that somehow all three never made a song together. 

The classic, best M rap collaboration would, of course, have to be Jose & Luis. Introduce yourself. 

I don't really like the rap collaborators. Any time I think of a collaboration I always ask myself, is it necessary? Did it add anything to the song? Would the song be better / worse with just Madonna?

In a case like Take a Bow, that particular collaboration worked and meshed well. With the modern era collaborators who are mostly rap / hip-hop, they don't feel necessary and seem forced. Every pop star uses the rent-a-rapper for a bridge in a song and it very rarely works.