Madame X: A Missed Opportunity

eXtremeOccident

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

If she goes back to Warners she could serve up a Michael Jackson History type of project.

20 of her biggest hits (or even a GHV3 from American Life onwards ) alongside a new album.

That could be a clever little trick

It's gonna do absolutely nothing cause people don't buy GHs anymore (unless there is something special about them, like re-recorded hits or something), and people don't buy her albums either. It was clever in 1995.

Also, there is no chance she will go back to Warner. She hated them and sued them. 

8 hours ago, MarXus said:

Yeah, she could have cultivated some of the characters more, and maybe she was planning to do so at the beginning, but as she progressed on, it didn't go the way she originally was thinking. 

The only issue in this era that I found problematic was the tour shenanigans.  Ticket prices and her lateness turned me off.  Though, I accepted the lateness once she changed the times of her start time. The rest was unfortunate logistic problems and her health that really couldn't be helped. 

I love how we got so many videos.

I think she did the best she could with this era. 

A lot of different things said by various people that I agree/disagree with but I've went with MarXus' post as it touches on a lot of what I think.

I definitely agree that the idea must have been there to have the various characters involved more, the adjectives used to describe each character of Madame X and the money she spent on the different holograms at Billboard Awards. I guess we'll never know the reasons why this ended up not being explored or whether time just seemed to run away, but there seemed to be a few things that happened that were clearly planned in advance such as iHeart, the random Apple store events and Apple interview which was recorded, fans attended but never aired? The Graham Norton interview was a shambles. Whether due to nerves, exhaustion or being last minute, she didn't come over well at all, to the point everyone who knows I am a huge fan, I was fed up of hearing them say this but I agree.

Marxus didn't mention it, but Eurovision was not the time and place to make a statement and the songs performed were terrible choices. A lot of people, especially in the UK tend to have Eurovision parties and I think the reaction to this (not taking into account vocals) must have effected her. To many people I know, Eurovision is like the European version of the Superbowl halftime.

100% agree with MarXus on the ticket prices, I was absolutely stunned when the prices for London came out and although I earn a decent enough wage, I was priced right out market this time. The logistic/injuries have been so unfortunate and she has fought on as best, if not even more than ever expected. What hasn't helped has been the mis/lack of communication from her team and the mess of the management of her Instagram. This needs to be looked into asap by her because this has effected her badly by who is running it. Cancelling London shows then uploading a video soon after praising the Lisbon audience or cutting the first act of the shows but then soon after a clip of the God Control performance uploaded.

Agree that the videos for the songs released have been the best in a long, long time. Pride Performance was fab, but another missed opportunity to have it uploaded onto YouTube. I do think she has tried to make it work taking all things into account. I know songs are cut all the time but some songs teased felt unfair once the final set list was revealed, however, I do think it was good of her if she couldn't work out or a performance of Rescue Me wasn't working, she still did include it in the show.

12 hours ago, cake said:

M wanted to create this mysterious "Spy" persona and build the era around her. Madame X was loved by the fanbase as expected but the gp didn't connect with her at all. There's great music on the album, but it got totally overlooked. Meanwhile the media is only interested her dating the 25yo dancer:stare: 

I am so happy with the album and that combined with RH makes me a very grateful fan (never thought we would get beyond disco diva mdna repetitiveness), especially for the videos from Mx . Agree the gp did not connect with her well and the eye patch and her defensive and combative style through the promo interviews turned people off and the lead single was brave but stupid. I was constantly asked whats with the eye patch, people just don't appreciate performance art but l see there confusion as well.

But l loved the music, hope the tour DVD is decent but grateful l choose not to try and attend from Australia (l am too old for midnight concerts!!)

10 hours ago, I don't search I find said:

It's gonna do absolutely nothing cause people don't buy GHs anymore (unless there is something special about them, like re-recorded hits or something), and people don't buy her albums either. It was clever in 1995.

Also, there is no chance she will go back to Warner. She hated them and sued them. 

In ten years companies change and the people who were in charge change. That often makes a huge difference. 
Legacy artist do shift hits collections. Kylie Just had a huge greatest hits era with solid sales and a real boost in public goodwill. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 hour ago, steady75 said:

In ten years companies change and the people who were in charge change. That often makes a huge difference. 
Legacy artist do shift hits collections. Kylie Just had a huge greatest hits era with solid sales and a real boost in public goodwill. 

Exactly, she had so much acclaim last year and it’s set her up perfectly for the next album campaign, so I really do think a greatest hits era would be beneficial for Madonna before going into the next album. 

I strongly believe if she hadn't fkd with her voice so much on MX, people would've enjoyed it more. We love her voice, it's a part fo our youth and life in general. To overproduce ot the way they did killed any kind of soul or connection to it.

Not a big fan of medellin as a lead single either BUT if she had just allowed her voice to resonate instead of the soulless vocoder crap it would've been better received. Top that off with the Eurovision disaster and "Madonna can't sing anymore".

I agree that this era had so much potential but they kinda blew it on many different ends.

Thankfully the show was exceptional...to me at least.