Poll: Favorite video: Frozen or Nothing Really Matters?

geert

Poll: Favorite video: Frozen or Nothing Really Matters?  

32 members voted

1. 1. Poll: Favorite video: Frozen or Nothing Really Matters?

• Frozen
    • Nothing Really Matters

I love both but Frozen is one of my Top3 videos of all time

i remember a strange comment on youtube. A fanatic christian wrote there that the video is about satan worship and should be banned ("Give yourself to me"). Another reason for my opinion that religion is not good for anyone and only makes people disturbed.

it's a shame that she hasn't made any more videos with Chris Cunningham

His videos are awesome!

I think he made just one video with Björk as well (All is full of love)

Edited by Daphne Du Maurier (see edit history)

In the "Work of Director :Chris Cunningham" you can read and hear how he was so excited about working on the project but he wasn't happy with what they shot. Warner was so controlling of his ideas. To the point that he edited what they proposed without caring.  He said his experience was totally the opposite doing Björk's ' All is full of love'

On 2/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, Ego Rodriguez said:

In the "Work of Director :Chris Cunningham" you can read and hear how he was so excited about working on the project but he wasn't happy with what they shot. Warner was so controlling of his ideas. To the point that he edited what they proposed without caring.  He said his experience was totally the opposite doing Björk's ' All is full of love'

I wonder what the video would've been without the controlling aspect of working with someone like M especially back then. 

9 hours ago, Fighter said:

I wonder what the video would've been without the controlling aspect of working with someone like M especially back then. 

His original idea was having lots of aerial views. Drone like, above the desert. And lots of figures coming from everywhere and turning into shapes and hundreds of Madonnas. Rotating and dancing. When the camera/drone was panning between them the shapes transform and break into pieces, creating birds, dogs etc..You can tell the concept of the ideas are in the video but not the magnitude and direction of it. I think the day of today this would me much easier to do with the technology and current tools. But at the time it was a bigger budget that what they wanted to spend on it. So he felt like it was'nt as impressive and wanted to try something more simple. But because they already spend the money on the morphing of the dog etc..they pushed him to use those images. He even said that the most part of the CGI was'nt finished.

5 minutes ago, Ego Rodriguez said:

Thank you, I think I read this years ago but didn't remember, so mostly it was different factors not just budget or Warner being controlling. I honestly think the video is great and maybe it's one of those things where constraints make for a better end product by accident... ? 

It's interesting to hear Cunningham was dissatisfied with 'Frozen' as compared to his more radical work with Aphex Twin and Bjork it did feel a little more muted at the time - though it's still a very beautiful and unique music video.

Nothing Really Matters is such a joyous track and the video one of her most obscure and inspired. Wasn't it on some level her 'audition piece' for Memoirs of a Geisha?

I chose the latter as it makes me want to dance and yet feels both conversely grounded and spiritual.