Crazy for her first Ballad for 35 years!

MarXus

What do you think of Madonna's first ballad?   

36 members voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madonna's first ballad?

• I'm Crazy in love with this Song!
    • I'm Not Crazy at all for this Song!

MV5BOTBhMjJiMmYtNjczNS00Y2I2LWIzNDYtYTk4madonna-no-more-words-geffen.jpg

It was this week, 35 years ago, Madonna's very first ballad was released.  "Crazy for You" was release March 2nd, 1985, and then re-issued 6 years later, this same week in 1991.  The song was released at a time, Madonna was becoming phenomenally famous in the U.S., and on the verge of being a world-wide phenomenon.  Being the song, was recorded on a different label, which belonged to a soundtrack, her own record label didn't want it to be released as a single, since they were afraid it would take away attention from her Like A Virgin album which was doing very well after two singles being released.  The song was written by John Bettis and Jon Lind, and included on the soundtrack for the film Vision Quest, which Madonna also was featured in as a lounge singer.  In some European releases, the film was re-titled after the name of the song. Early recordings did not impress the writers, and they thought the song would be dropped from the soundtrack.  The writers were concerned if Madonna could even carry a tune like this since she was only known for more uptempo songs.  At the time of the recording, "Borderline" was Madonna's current single.

"Crazy for You" was Madonna's first ballad.  Upon the week of it's release, it debuted at 55, and eventually went #1 (making it her 2nd #1 Single in the U.S.)   It took six weeks from it's release to go to number one, knocking "We Are The World" from the top spot. The song went gold, shipping a million copies by the summer of 1985.  "Crazy for You" reached number one in Australia and displaced another Madonna release "Angel"/"Into The Groove".  After the song was released in the United Kingdom on June 8, 1985, it debuted at number 25 and peaked at number two. In February 1991, the song was re-released and again reached a peak of number two. The song was included on three of her tours.  It was among the set list for Virgin Tour and Re-Invention Tour and randomly performed a few times on the Rebel Heart Tour.  The original Madonna recording was also featured in the 2004 film 13 Going on 30, starring Jennifer Garner. At the end of the film, the song is played again, but to signify Jenna Rink's life staying on the "good path" 17 years later, and a bigger, modern rock/string orchestration by the film's composer Theodore Shapiro is added. 

So what are your thoughts of this song?  Has the song become a favorite of yours?  Did the song impact your life in anyway?  Please do share. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Gorgeous song and a gorgeous ballad. I love whenever she performs this song on tour. It’s always such an intimate moment between her and the audience. 

When she dedicated the song to the fans on RIT I remember having shivers down my spine. One of the moments I felt the most connected to her.

I also remember how hard it was back then (1986) to find a vinyl of the song. The song was very successful in Italy and the movie was renamed in Crazy for you - Pazzo per te after the song. When it was released in the La isla bonita Japanese EP I bought it although I didn't have a cd player at the time. I watched the movie so much at the time and I'd love if the full movie demo and the full Gambler sequence - not to mention Warning signs - were released.

8 hours ago, AceOfMadonna said:

Such a lovely song. It always makes me smile when I hear it. 

According to the Brazilian 7" Single the song originally had a third verse that wasn't used in the final version. 

Screenshot_20200303-195120_eBay.jpg

Well, I was unaware of this. Thanks for sharing.  I'll be curious if there is a demo of Madonna singing this with that added verse?

5 hours ago, Le Freaq said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this song I just wish someone could leak the official instrumental of it. Not even the multitrack. Just the instrumental would be enough to make me happy.

You'd think that would have happened by now. 

Crazy For You is definitely a classic radio song. Even more than Like A Virgin! Whenever I listen to the radio which is quite rare nowadays they're playing it. It's just timeless. I'd suggest many people don't even remember/know it's a Madonna song. Shocking that she buried this hit by not perfoming it in almost 20 years :eyes: but coming from her it's not that strange after all.

I only got the '91 re-release on CD. I've never managed to get a copy of the 7". Should I? I'm missing Gambler as well. Got both on the movie OST though.

There are so many adjectives to describe this song but I think it's strongest trait is the perfect balance of sappy love song and meaningful interesting love song. It can not be defined. 

Madonna is the perfect singer to deliver a song like this. She has the abilty to turn feelings that are often portrayed in an immature or over the top fashion into a cool and real expression. 

I am getting emotional now because I remember being a teenager listening to this song and thinking "that's it." "That's how I feel." 

Listen to her voice when she delivers this song. ❤