Which album is Madonna's magnum opus?

Xander

Which album is Madonna's magnum opus?  

71 members voted

1. 1. Which album is Madonna's magnum opus?

• Madonna
    • Like a Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like a Prayer
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions on a Dance Floor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart
    • Madame X

I would have to say it's Ray of Light.   It's seems to be one of her most grounded works where she's come to terms with her fame and realize, it's not what is important in life.  I truly believe she became a better version herself then.  Since then, I think she's evolved, but in a way I think she's not as grounded as she used to be.  That of course, I can't be truly sure of that since I'm basing it off what I know of her through the media and what she puts out there.  Privately, she still could be just as grounded.  Ray of Light seemed to be her most artistic and profound album to me. 

I would have to say Erotica being that I think it really put herself into perspective the type of artist she was and was not just a superficial pop-star as the media would make her out to be. It was her first concept album and all the tracks on Erotica have some sort of significance to her and really broke a LOT of barriers in the music world. It was talking about homosexuality and the AIDS crisis when no one else would. It was being super open about sexuality in general with explicitness that no one has ever sung about without being coy or using innuendos. It took all the taboos of American culture at the time and tried to de-stigmatize these normal feelings and acts that were deemed too weird. Of course at first, the album/SEX book backfired because the world wasn't ready for this type of pop star yet but it's everlasting impact it had on our culture later is undeniable. I hold this album in a special place in my heart for all these reasons.

Great question.  I'm going to say Ray Of Light. She really outdid herself in art and creativity. We saw her grow so much as a person and an artist with music and visuals no one else was doing. Her Grammies were so deserving of everything she did at the time and I'm so glad she was rightfully rewarded. 

As much as Ray of light was such a strong statement of an album when it came out and is a great solid listening. Being honest is WIlliam Orbit music that Madonna sung on top. I think Erotica it was and still more relevant on the writting of lyrics and music. She talks about so many subjects that were important to her and the lyrics are the most elaborated and personal she ever did. Her strongest albums are those with strong producers and collaborators (Stuart Price, Orbit, Mirwais) But the most part of the times they influence a lot of her work. When with Pettibone she had more control and input overall, I think.

I think in the Nineties she released very cohesive and modern albums, like Erotica and Ray of light. But my favourite remains Like a prayer because of its mature lyrics, and the family/relationship concept. No one has dealt with the loss of a loved one with more maturity than M in Promise to try.

Ray Of Light. Although not my favourite album (that's Erotica) I think it's the album where her artistry went hand in hand with the critical and commercial reception completely. It wasn't released with controversy (Like A Prayer, Erotica), which often overshadowed the music, it was just about the songs and it was loved by critics and the public.

18 minutes ago, rlittler81 said:

Ray Of Light. Although not my favourite album (that's Erotica) I think it's the album where her artistry went hand in hand with the critical and commercial reception completely. It wasn't released with controversy (Like A Prayer, Erotica), which often overshadowed the music, it was just about the songs and it was loved by critics and the public.

What I love about Madonna's albums, that every one is different.  While I've mentioned ROL being her "Magnum Opus", she's release far more fun albums before and after.  But like you and I've described, she was at her peak when it came to her artistry with ROL and it was more about the music than anything else, which is should be.  Albums that came before and after (no matter how great they still were) didn't usually come without more baggage than just presenting the music as ROL did. 

I haven't reevaluated her albums in awhile but if I look at things from purely Madonna's perspective I would have to say Like A Prayer.

My personal connection to her work would not reflect her ultimate expression. Ray of Light is my usual favorite but I think I am due for a reevaluation of her work. 

Like A Prayer has it all from Madonna. Speaking out on injustice, her use of Catholic imagery to draw parallels. Putting herself and others up on a pedestal and being loved for who you are. longing, breaking up, joy, forgiveness, innocence, grief, sadness, family....

It has pain, fear, heartache, confidence, self esteem, happiness, tears and even a touch of humour. 

While she definitely explores these things in depth on other songs... as an album Like A Prayer is where I think you see a glimpse of Madonna from many angles.