Madame X Tour in retrospective - 2

Enrico

Madame X Tour: so now what? (Part 2)  

116 members voted

1. 1. Where you affected by cancellations/rescheduling?

• No
    • Yes, and I missed my only show
    • Yes, more than once
    • Yes, but I attended other shows
    • (Click here if you haven't attended to skip the question)
  2. 2. How would you rate the show?

• Excellent (five stars)
    • Very good (four stars)
    • Good (three stars)
    • Disappointing (two stars)
    • Very bad (1 star)
    • Can't rate - haven't seen it
  3. 3. Are you going to buy the DVD?

• Yes, I have seen the show and can't wait to relive the memory
    • Yes, because I haven't seen the show
    • No, I am not interested
    • No, I have seen it live and it's enough
    • No, I hope to download it here 👿 ...NO WAY!!

• Enrico featured this topic

Saw her 12th. Mu show on 11th was canceled, but i managed to find better tickets on stalls, and thanks to that i could even touch her <3!!!! So for me canceletion was good if you could say so....  But i was stressed so much during whole tour with this problems and her injury.... god. But show was amazing 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, Yori Razman said:

I Was Only Affected By The Fact That I Haven't Seen The Whole Damn Show Since She did The " SHORT VERSION" With Five Songs taken Out Like  :

God Control 

Dark Ballet 

Human Nature 

Papa Don't Preach   AND Crave... :(

Me too ! Saturday 29 february Paris

I saw the show three times in London, including the rescheduled first night, moved to the last show, and the February 5th show, with I Rise performed a capella in front of the iron curtain. That was the full show (minus Crave, Sodade, & Papa Don't Preach), and it was prefaced with a good couple of anxiety-filled hours waiting for it to start, uncertain whether it would be the full show, or forced to finish early due to the curfew. I actually enjoyed the 2 other shows far more, even though they were the shortened, probably because there was less anxiety going in, knowing it would be edited down.

I thought the show itself was a solid 3 stars, but it definitely falls short of M's career best. Her singing was actually really good and that's often her detractors' main criticism. But the set looked cheap, and with exception to the Fado section, the costumes were forgettable. THAT BIB?! 

For me, the best part of the show was surprisingly Batuka and the Fado club third act. Overall the Madame X songs were excellent, but being fair, it's not my favourite album, which also impacts my 3 star review. However, the older songs were too few and far in between. Human Nature was okay. I enjoyed Vogue mostly because it was sung live. American Life was a welcome return. Frozen was excellent but Like a Prayer was in my humble view, the worst version she's ever performed on tour - that lazy trap beat sucked all the energy out if it - although it was better than Eurovision and the MET Gala performances. 

My least favourite part of the show were the many long, long monologues, which were so scripted or just plain awkward. Mostly though, it was all the nonsense outside the show that impaired my enjoyment. Madonna and controversy usually walk hand-in-hand, but not this time. In hindsight, If I'm really honest, I regret spending so much money on this tour, but I would trade a kidney to see the Confessions, Sticky & Sweet or even Rebel Heart again in a theatre setting.

All said and done, I would definitely buy the DVD/Blu-ray. If anything, all of the above is failure of my expectations, not her intentions, and in time, I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate this tour for everything it was, as opposed to decrying all the things it was never meant to be. Ultimately, that's why I love her music so much - you never know what you're going to get and that's exciting. I'm glad she's interested and trying new and different things. There are so many artists who just hit repeat and that's fine if you're only interest in nostalgia, but Madonna always offers so much more. I guess this one wasn't for me, but that's okay. I'm glad other fans enjoyed it and hopefully, I'll enjoy the next tour more!

• Fighter unfeatured this topic