Madame X Tour DVD

Fabiolous

On 4/29/2021 at 10:49 PM, scion said:

Yeah but they weren't playing particularly live. What you hear on the vast majority of performances from 2004 onwards is a pre-recorded track with the occasional flicker of live instrumentation. Notice how on the bootlegs of every tour up until 2001 you hear variances in the sound between shows, little ad-lib rids and the occasional mistake... but since 2004 it's literally a pre-recorded show with live lead vocals for the most part.  Even the backing vocals now are generally just the backing singers appearing to mime Madonna's prerecorded album vocals in the background.

It's a shame. The live sections of the last tours sounded great, such as the acoustic part of RHT, and the incredible Shes Not Me outro on S&S. The drummer on Girlie Show was incredible also, and the overall WTG band was just terrific. BAT was a bit of a dip musically because it seems to utilise far more prerecorded elements than she ever had so far.

I'm not for a second doubting band is literally playing and singing live, but it isn't being fed through to the audience, the audience is clearly hearing a tape instead.  Except the piano on S&S, I refuse to acknowledge that was even a  real piano, it was probably just a prop. 

THIS!!! You can clearly hear the differences in the 2001 and 2004 recordings that just leaked!

The DWT audio is so powerful. Oh, those percussions!!! Even The funny song sounds great! And the backup vocals are fantastic. Pity because in MXT Munchie and Yahzarah are wonderful vocalists: remember Crazy on Instagram? But in the theatre we heard the album version. Same for Frozen and the string trio. Or Gaspar on guitar on Killers.

The RIT audio sounds "fake". The ideas are great, the arrangements are strong, but the live sound is gone.

7 hours ago, Enrico said:

THIS!!! You can clearly hear the differences in the 2001 and 2004 recordings that just leaked!

The DWT audio is so powerful. Oh, those percussions!!! Even The funny song sounds great! And the backup vocals are fantastic. Pity because in MXT Munchie and Yahzarah are wonderful vocalists: remember Crazy on Instagram? But in the theatre we heard the album version. Same for Frozen and the string trio. Or Gaspar on guitar on Killers.

The RIT audio sounds "fake". The ideas are great, the arrangements are strong, but the live sound is gone.

There’s actually lots of live instrumentation on RIT which is noticeable when you compare the rehearsals with the Lisbon leak and the IGTTYAS-versions. The guitar intro on Nothing Fails sounds quite different in each version, sometimes, there are additional synth sounds in EY, there is an electric guitar during the verses of Frozen that is more or less prominent in the mix depending on the recording you’re listening too.

In terms of live instrumentation RIT is of course a step down compared to DWT but we’re not yet at the point where she’d basically sing over the album instrumentals of her new songs. That only started with S&S. 

29 minutes ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

There’s actually lots of live instrumentation on RIT which is noticeable when you compare the rehearsals with the Lisbon leak and the IGTTYAS-versions. The guitar intro on Nothing Fails sounds quite different in each version, sometimes, there are additional synth sounds in EY, there is an electric guitar during the verses of Frozen that is more or less prominent in the mix depending on the recording you’re listening too.

In terms of live instrumentation RIT is of course a step down compared to DWT but we’re not yet at the point where she’d basically sing over the album instrumentals of her new songs. That only started with S&S. 

You are totally right, what I meant is that listening to the two tours back to back you realize how things were changing. But the karaoke and albums instrumentals were yet to come...

From this point of view MXT was very disappointing, because she had great musicians and because you can have a great live sound inside a theatre. But many songs were exactly album versions.

And from what we're seeing, if there ever was a single note played live on stage, we won't get it in the dvd.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, scion said:

I'm not for a second doubting band is literally playing and singing live, but it isn't being fed through to the audience, the audience is clearly hearing a tape instead.  Except the piano on S&S, I refuse to acknowledge that was even a  real piano, it was probably just a prop. 

I am gonna agree and disagree.  When I am at the show, it definitely sounds and feels live.  I think the DVDs are mostly prerecorded.  She needs to stop with the editsing and give us a Who's that Girl tour experience.  I have never been to a Madonna tour where it was not evident that she was singing live 90 percent of the time.  The DVDs are where I take issue.  She is great live but needs to share that with her fans on the recordings.

1 hour ago, Sultrysully said:

I am gonna agree and disagree.  When I am at the show, it definitely sounds and feels live.  I think the DVDs are mostly prerecorded.  She needs to stop with the editsing and give us a Who's that Girl tour experience.  I have never been to a Madonna tour where it was not evident that she was singing live 90 percent of the time.  The DVDs are where I take issue.  She is great live but needs to share that with her fans on the recordings.

You obviously didn't go to Confessions or MDNA then, a good 25/30% of each of those shows pre-recorded on most dates. Confessions, depending on the leg of the tour, featured so much lead vocal playback that it's probably her most lip synched concert ever, and in fact, in the first half an hour of MDNA there's literally about five or six minutes of live vocals, and I don't mean on the DVD. 

Sticky and Sweet was probably the last large tour she did where she sang pretty much the entire concert live besides one or two songs. 

I mean at this stage and now she's slowly down I do think her voice was shown on the Madame X tour to be in particularly good shape. I'm very excited for this DVD :D

2 hours ago, scion said:

You obviously didn't go to Confessions or MDNA then, a good 25/30% of each of those shows pre-recorded on most dates. Confessions, depending on the leg of the tour, featured so much lead vocal playback that it's probably her most lip synched concert ever, and in fact, in the first half an hour of MDNA there's literally about five or six minutes of live vocals, and I don't mean on the DVD. 

MDNA had much more lip syncing than CT. On MDNA, only the first verse of Revolver, PDP, IDGA, TUTR, OYH, Masterpiece, CS, HN, LAV, I‘m a Sinner, Cyberraga and LAP were live. The rest was lip-synced. 

On Confessions, Future Lovers, the verses of Jump, Sorry, the chorus of Music Inferno, Erotica, the first half of Lucky Star and most of Hung Up we’re lip-synced, the latter depending on the night. And only in Phoenix she lip-synced LIB, too, with a vocal track that was quite beautiful but probably the most obviously pre-recorded track she’s ever used. 

Furthermore, as long as Stuart was her musical director, she did not sing over pre-recorded lead vocals/the studio vocals that she has playing along on most of the tracks these days. Confessions was the first tour where most of the backing vocals were her own pre-recorded vocals rather than exclusively done by the backing singers but it was not the show where she lip-synced the most. 

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Fighter locked this topic
  • RUADJAI unlocked, unfeatured and featured this topic