Madame X Tour DVD

Fabiolous

I finally watched it! It was much much better than what I expected ? there were still many editing choices I don't agree with both video and audio wise, but I could get over them quickly. The whole Fado section was especially beautiful and captured so well. Truly the heart of the Madame X era ❤

and… done!

Hmm ?… what to make of Madame X? It definitely was/is a very different tour/film, than anything she’s ever done before, so it sort of becomes irrelevant to make too many comparisons to her previous work.

That said, it left me with a very different feeling - quietly thought-provoking, rather than physically-exhausting, and definitely not as satisfyingly entertaining as any of her previous shows. It reminded me more of ‘I’m Going To Tell You A Secret’, than any particular concert recording.

I don’t necessarily see that as a negative though. She’s an artist still taking chances at a point in her career when a greatest hits tour would’ve been a far easier money-maker - and taking those risks is what makes her so enduring.

Flashing her arse here there and everywhere, kind of distracts from the intelligence of her artistry, which is a shame, because she clearly has more interesting things to say. 

This show doesn’t attempt to summarise her entire career, but represents who and where she is in the right world now - and that’s just fine. Madame  X is another unexpected turn, in a continuously remarkable career. I wonder where we’ll be travelling to next!

Well I finally watched it and I have to say, even tho I didn't like the editing (I have my reasons), the show itself was amazing. I didn't have any idea how this tour was and it really surprised me. The stage works really good and the visuals are amazing with all the projections and backdrops. I absolutely love the outfit she wears in the second act, that brunette hair ugh. She looks stunning.
I feel like the show is pretty simple overall but it has her soul in it, it's special. She looks very happy through the entire thing and you can tell she's enjoying herself a lot, which it's really nice. :heart:
The way she is so proud of her family, having her kids all over the place and the breathtaking Frozen performance with Lola in the back. That one was beautiful. :Madonna041:
Future and Come Alive were amazing too. I loved that she closed the show with the LGBT flag coming up in the back while singing I Rise (I have to admit I got a little bit emotional there)

BlueWickedCormorant-size_restricted.gif 

Just finished watching it. It was nostalgic and made me miss having seen it live. I thought the opening was nice. Life is a circle. I thought Dark Ballet was absolutely beautiful. It felt theatre. Human Nature was just as I remember it, and randomly flipping her upside down was… weird but I don’t know that my mom even noticed haha. I didn’t mind. She’s not my bitch after all. Vogue really was less interesting on video, but I don’t remember it being phenomenal in person. It’s Vogue. I’ll play it to death regardless. Then nod to Pride we’re nice. IDSIF was also not as interesting on film as in person. Insert Papa Don’t Preach… wasn’t there but I knew that already… still love it on tour and def miss it here. American Life. Definite highlight. Always great to have an excuse to drive my Mini Cooper and feel super duper. Maria I felt basically cut out. It was there. But like driftwood, it was just something to hold onto to get to Cabo Verde. Batuka was beautiful and a nice change in scene. Pechincha was heavenly, just as I remember. Killers and Crazy were nice and loved the added instrumentation in parts I don’t remember in person. I missed the second verse of Fado Club. Medellin was Medellin. But I’ve played it so much that it really was just a bleep in the film, but the part where she gets hold of David I liked a lot. Extreme was underwhelming. Still love the concept though. Breathwork was always a favorite. Like spoken word and very much theatre. Frozen ofcourse was beautiful. Come Alive was colorful but such a short segment. Future I live in this version but they basically used the reshoot. The exclusion of Crave and transition to LAP was great. And I Rise was just like Dark Ballet, theatric and exactly how I wish other parts were more or less. Over all, it’s great but it really highlights M’s reliance on her dancers, and at some points I really enjoyed that. And God Control did it’s thing. Almost forgot it. 

Anyways, that’s my word vomit for my first watch.

Watched it in full now -  

Highlights  - All of the Fado section, especially loved the Welcome to my Fado Club/La Isla Bonita moment, Future, I Rise

I noticed in Extreme Occident it looks like it has been filmed or has been given a different perspective with 2 black bars at the top and bottom of the screen cutting the top of her head off at times and then full screen for the rest of the show?? 

The parts where she sings with no or minimal autotune shows her voice is still great

So I just finished to watch the show for the first time, I try to share my first impressions here: i'm long, sorry, but many of you do know me at this point.

THE VIDEO: The editing is awesome, it slows right when the show starts to grow and I think it perfectly serves the cause: it adds value to the good things and diminish the weak points of the first set. Colours are maybe the most interesting and well balanced since the infamous Confessions tour film and the mise en scene is enriched by a sophisticated and expressive use of the colours, even if - honestly - rarely creative to be a theatre production. The sound is excellent in the majority of the tracks. I didn't like the dishomogeneity of the quality in the spoken parts, where they used mobile recordings, but it's ok, I like the idea she was fond of those moments and wanted to use them. The vocoder is not my cup of tea, after Music I started to hate it (Nobody knows me apart), but we already knew it would have been this way.

MADONNA: And now the most important thing, the one I was really waiting for: the show itself. First of all, IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER THAT SHE IS NOT ANYMORE THE TIRELESS, GRITTY, EXPRESSIVE MASTER OF PRECISION IN TERMS OF DANCING: SHE LITTERALY BRIGHTS OF THE ALLURE OF THE MATURE, CREATIVE, CONSCIOUS ARTIST SHE IS. And this happens so often with so many of her smiles, moves, interactions with the audience (even with some of her silly, funny jokes … some). She seduced me in a new way, as the artist she is today and, yes, I renewed my vow :lol: Her voice is still good, I read somewhere it's not at the level of her previous lives. It may be, but once again she sings songs she believes in and makes you feel it, totally.

THE SHOW: The magic of the mise en scene really fascinated me, took me to another place and gave me a mixed feeling of freedom and “presence” that I still have while I'm writing. All of this starts just from the entrance of the Batukadeiras and went on, almost continuously, till the end of Like a Prayer. What caught me the most was the semplicity and craftmanship of the whole thing. Some consider this cheap in term of production, I disagree, I think she choose a “man to man” tone of voice, a radical theatre production. Once again, what does not excell is the underuse of the possibilities that theatre can provide in terms of lights and equipment: I think the only mistake she did was not entrusting a theatre director to design the show with her. Killers is magic, maybe one of her best performance ever, I consider Crazy the best coreography of the show, Batuka and Come Alive definitely get their purpose, thought and emotion provoking the first and joyful and hopefull the second, Extreme Occident, Frozen, Future are all highlights.

What I found really weak is the first set instead, not captivating and honestly not well conceived. The problem for me is that it’s weak in terms of structure, the first three performances don’t create a narrative and emotional arch, strong enough to substain the impactful message they’re suppose to communicate. And I found hard to understand why the choreographies look so uninspired and flat: Dark Ballet was amazing in the Met Gala version, I really don’t get the point of the action here; Human Nature (the best arrangement of the song ever made imo, a real delight like some from the Girlie Show) is based on such a cool idea, very poorly developed, with an impressive ending though; Vogue is absolutely and effectively covered by the editing (very well done and she looks gorgeous); even in I don’t search I find the escape and hiding idea, wich is an excellent intuition, is just hinted, while theatrically could have set ingeniuos tricks. It’s never a matter of how hard the coreos push, it’s a matter of fantasy and developing the good ideas they are based on.

It’s been so great guys, great to have met her again :broken:

Wow, just wow, I am speechless (in a good way). Have just finished watching and haven't read any reviews in the last few pages of this thread as I wanted to view the show with fresh eyes and an open mind. My comments in no order are...

How can we be so blessed to be a fan of an artist that has given us decades of joy, inspiration and continues to produce work at such a high level? Showing her Rome BAT speech sandwiched with LAP video just shows how Madonna has been an inspiration and genuine arts for years. when I read about this, I thought it sounded a bit strange, but it kinda works….

Like the shortened intro. Nothing compares to seeing it live, but cutting it down for this was the right thing to do.

I am so glad we have this version of Human Nature on streaming, so jazzy, I love it. Not sure about the upside down shots..... but whatever...

Her voice! in the Fado song and all the ad-libbing, I am sorry, but anyone who says Madonna cannot sing, needs to hear this!

Batuka, love it. One of the highlights, of the show and doesnt disappoint either.

Not sure how the Mozart in the pussy jokes work, I thought they were stupid during the show and still do.

Really love the way they did the polaroid part, would like to have done something similar with the beer bitch section. I was lucky enough to be very close when she had the ‘champagne bitch’ moment in Paris with John Paul Gautier, I think given the slight retrospective angle in this film, that would have worked very nicely.

My main criticism, is in Frozen. We all know it is a reshot, and I think not having the perspective of seeing it from the audience removes some of the emotion and ‘wow’ factor from the performance. I was in tears the first time I saw this. One day I hope we see the footage that drive the decision to do the reshoot.

Did they photoshop out Lola’s hairy armpits?

Come Alive, Like A Prayer, what more can I say, amazing. Honestly I think I am enjoying LAP more on the video, as I am actually watching it, not just jumping around singing!

Same comments on Future as for Frozen, though I do like the closeups.

Do we know which shots are from Lisbon and which from Paris? The switching eyepatch and leg bandages are noticeable because I am looking for it, but I doubt a casual observer would notice, and imo doesn’t impact my enjoyment of the show.

All in all, yes it was absolutely worth the wait, I am watching it again as I write this, reading the VIP book, wearing my tour t-shirt, I reminded on how much of a remarkable era this was. I have been (and still am) very critical of the logistics of the tour which affected so many of us, but if you take that away, imo, this is one her best era’s and I am really glad to have experienced it. To be producing such art, so many years into your career, is exceptional.

Really curious to read the review from casual fans and critics. To me this is Madonna (almost) perfection!

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic