Monsieur Hugo X

Madame X Tour DVD

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Enrico said:

Thank you @madgefan for this list.

Only one thing needs correction: WTGT Turin was broadcast LIVE on September 4, I clearly remember. I was one of those 14 million viewers that night, making it the third most watched tv programme of 1987.

https://www.tvblog.it/post/20791/auditel-rewind-1987

If you look at Ciao Italia video, you can see people in the audience throwing many combs at her: it's clearly Florence footage, as they had seen the show on tv 2 days before and many people brought a comb at the concert in Florence.

As for the release dates: we should also consider when the tour ended.

Considering that S&S had a second leg in 2009, it's ok that it was released in 2010. From September 2009 to March 2010 is 6/7 months.

RHT was the only one with an almost unbearable wait!!

 

Thanks for the info Enrico! I used IMDB as one of my sources to compile all the dates so I guess they made a mistake cause I believe in your source better. I'll correct the list:angel:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245246/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

UXR4Wor.jpg

And regarding the Sticky & Sweet Tour time period we had to wait for the TV premiere and subsequent release I just considered the date in which the footage was filmed. I remember there were rumors about getting the DVD in March 2009 but that was later shelved when Live Nation announced that the tour would resume in July by making an announcement on January 30, 2009.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's strange indeed. I remember quite clearly the comb affair. Wikipedia for instance says: 

On September 4, 1987, Madonna's concert special, Madonna in Concerto, filmed at the Comunale Stadium in Turin, Italy was broadcast live on TV in Italy (RAI), France (TF1), Germany (SAT1), Austria (ORF) and Spain (TVE).

The poster you posted  (ahah) says "replica", I remember it was broadcast again in 1988 due to its huge success, that is when I recorded it cause I bought my vhs recorder in 1988. I was disappointed cause they didn't show the first part, the meeting with the Pacentro family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

Watch her save the footage for herself and just move past the MX era. She probably has a bad association with the entire thing already.

Who can blame her :poo:

What was actually a promising era video wise just went from average to atrocious by the end of it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

Watch her save the footage for herself and just move past the MX era. She probably has a bad association with the entire thing already.

There is no way. Just look at how she's still in Madame X mode.  She's still referring to the tour and the persona(s).  Hardly, "a bad association" when it's been nearly a month since.  Yes, bad circumstances happened, but it doesn't mean she's ready to ditch it.  Besides, she's hired a company to film it.  It's coming!  She wants people to see this and it will be in her vision even though it didn't go as smoothly on tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MarXus said:

There is no way. Just look at how she's still in Madame X mode.  She's still referring to the tour and the persona(s).  Hardly, "a bad association" when it's been nearly a month since.  Yes, bad circumstances happened, but it doesn't mean she's ready to ditch it.  Besides, she's hired a company to film it.  It's coming!  She wants people to see this and it will be in her vision even though it didn't go as smoothly on tour.

It may only be me that thinks this...

buf I wouldn't put it last her to do a literal sequel to Madame X where she carries on the persona.

 

it would be my worst nightmare music wise but I know a lot of you would absolutely love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, scion said:

It may only be me that thinks this...

buf I wouldn't put it last her to do a literal sequel to Madame X where she carries on the persona.

 

it would be my worst nightmare music wise but I know a lot of you would absolutely love it!

It’s not the persona “Madame X” that would concern me, if this were to occur. But if a sequel were to sound anything that collaboration we heard between her and Malik, I would rather not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

It’s not the persona “Madame X” that would concern me, if this were to occur. But if a sequel were to sound anything that collaboration we heard between her and Malik, I would rather not. 

This. I would actually love to see the persona again, provided that she manages to properly flesh her out, rather than limit her to an eye patch and a typewriter, but actually give her different identities and have her do something global. Madame X would've been the perfect candidate for a visual album, musically and visually and it could've been epic

That said, I really don't wish to see any more hip hop influences in her music or rappers involved or any new collaborations with singers. Like I'm so not interested in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Madonna doing the post production of her last couple concert releases is that it does something she doesn't even realize: it only highlights her own insecurities. The way she tries to cover her own vocals with backtracks, autotune etc.,the filters trying to cover her real age (i mean...look at those amazing close ups during Vogue from IGTTYAS) and the fast cuts trying to make it seem like she's doing more than she actually does on stage now.

I'd very much prefer her to just be more chill with all that. Look at Confessions Tour. Barely any choreo during that first section. First decent dance break during Isaac and then Sorry. Overall only the last section was heavy on choreography. Still the editing is crystal clear. Her vocals even if edited in some parts, it all still feels live. 

Both MDNA and Rebel Heart it all just feels messy. Also...including CD audios from those "live" experiences just make me laugh. 

Speaking of which...where is IGTTYAS on Spotify? They just erased it like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

The problem with Madonna doing the post production of her last couple concert releases is that it does something she doesn't even realize: it only highlights her own insecurities. The way she tries to cover her own vocals with backtracks, autotune etc.,the filters trying to cover her real age (i mean...look at those amazing close ups during Vogue from IGTTYAS) and the fast cuts trying to make it seem like she's doing more than she actually does on stage now.

It's not the last couple of releases she's been doing that. It all started in way back in 2004 with Mr. Akerlund when she hired him to shoot the Re-invention Tour and create the montage used in IGTTYAS. The last real "closer to the truth" live show we got was HBO's production of the Drowned World Tour.

The Confessions Tour DVD, as a project, was amazingly put together but it's still highly edited... And the use of filters is present during the whole thing. They used studio vocal tracks to support several songs (Future Lovers, Sorry, Music Inferno, Lucky Star, and Hung Up) which is really obvious. They just used more echo :laughing:

Messy editing where several shows are mixed was already present in 1988's Ciao Italia so it's nothing new whether you are satisfied with the final result or not. 

I read somewhere that Madonna wasn't happy enough with Mark Aldo Micelli's work on The Girlie Show, I believe it was a letter by fax she sent someone else. So, it's pretty obvious she likes editing her stuff, even when she's not in charge of the whole thing. We should not rewrite history. It's the artist we chose to follow and it's somewhat not fair to judge her choices after all these years.. I've been a fan for 20 years and I'm just happy we got official recordings of everything she ever did.

And let's not pretend we're not going to buy this new concert in its multiple editions :Madonna020:

Let's be hopeful Ricardo Gomes is doing a good job with the Madame X Tour film :rip:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madgefan said:

 It's the artist we chose to follow and it's somewhat not fair to judge her choices after all these years.. I've been a fan for 20 years and I'm just happy we got official recordings of everything she ever did.

The best part of your post is right here.  This is important for all fans to keep in perspective.  I've been a fan for even longer than you. So for me, I know how hard she's worked and seen her at her peak. Nothing more is needed for me.  I just enjoy what she gives us because let's be frank people. She's 61, and as much as a clusterfuck MX tour was, it just proves this woman is all human. We've witnessed her go through such pain. Ask yourself, out of the previous decades of touring, she's rarely called off for an illness or injury.  It was rare!  Why?  Because she just got through it. However, you only can do that for so long before things catch up to you. I'm just appreciative she's still willing to entertain us.  Because as much as she's criticized now for the things she does, it was 100 times worse during the 80's and 90's.  If she got through that, then it's smooth sailing for her.  Social media certainly heightens everything, so it's good that she tries to stay ahead of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally prefer the "live" feel, the seamless edits etc that she doesn't seem to do any more.  I love seeing the B-roll footage/news report footage from her shows because it shows how well she actually does perform, the editing style can have the reverse of the intended effect, I feel.  The part in Iconic on Rebel heart tour springs to mind, when she rushes forward suddenly, it was rendered less dramatic.  There are many examples.  From the preview video she posted, I'm expecting graphical overlays and reverse footage, slow mo, fast mo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be content with some editing (the backdrops to make the moment feel there similar to Confessions) and especially during some performances like IDSIF, Batuka, Crave etc. But I do hope in the softer moments of the show it isn't messed with too much. Her voice in Sodade and others shouldn't be altered way too much because she nailed those performance. I don't mind some stylistic editing in her releases but MDNA and RHT to an extent was almost seizure inducing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, madgefan said:

It's not the last couple of releases she's been doing that. It all started in way back in 2004 with Mr. Akerlund when she hired him to shoot the Re-invention Tour and create the montage used in IGTTYAS. The last real "closer to the truth" live show we got was HBO's production of the Drowned World Tour.

The Confessions Tour DVD, as a project, was amazingly put together but it's still highly edited... And the use of filters is present during the whole thing. They used studio vocal tracks to support several songs (Future Lovers, Sorry, Music Inferno, Lucky Star, and Hung Up) which is really obvious. They just used more echo :laughing:

Messy editing where several shows are mixed was already present in 1988's Ciao Italia so it's nothing new whether you are satisfied with the final result or not. 

I read somewhere that Madonna wasn't happy enough with Mark Aldo Micelli's work on The Girlie Show, I believe it was a letter by fax she sent someone else. So, it's pretty obvious she likes editing her stuff, even when she's not in charge of the whole thing. We should not rewrite history. It's the artist we chose to follow and it's somewhat not fair to judge her choices after all these years.. I've been a fan for 20 years and I'm just happy we got official recordings of everything she ever did.

And let's not pretend we're not going to buy this new concert in its multiple editions :Madonna020:

Let's be hopeful Ricardo Gomes is doing a good job with the Madame X Tour film :rip:

The Studio Tracks from CT you mentioned weren't added in to support the songs, that's actually how they sounded on the shows!.. those tracks are the actual concert playback recordings of the songs she lipped to most nights as the tour went on. I don't think Sorry was ever live once though... 

Although, Hung Up was actually sung live the nights they filmed the DVD for CT... but in post production they instead dubbed it over with the track she mimed to for most European and Asian shows. Make no mistake, Hung Up wasn't live over a backing track generally on later CT, it was for the most part entirely prerecorded besides the interaction  and the DVD documents that well.

Theres also incredible footage of one of the Fresno shows where she phones in La Isla Bonita also and the recording they had is absolutely incredible and sounds nothing like any performance of the song in her career. However, it's not the same as the DVD unlike the other songs. Check it out below, I'm sure a few fans will never have heard this forgotten gem.

I'd have loved this to have made its way out in better audio, but it never has! :) x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scion said:

The Studio Tracks from CT you mentioned weren't added in to support the songs, that's actually how they sounded on the shows!.. those tracks are the actual concert playback recordings of the songs she lipped to most nights as the tour went on. I don't think Sorry was ever live once though... 

Although, Hung Up was actually sung live the nights they filmed the DVD for CT... but in post production they instead dubbed it over with the track she mimed to for most European and Asian shows. Make no mistake, Hung Up wasn't live over a backing track generally on later CT, it was for the most part entirely prerecorded besides the interaction  and the DVD documents that well.

Theres also incredible footage of one of the Fresno shows where she phones in La Isla Bonita also and the recording they had is absolutely incredible and sounds nothing like any performance of the song in her career. However, it's not the same as the DVD unlike the other songs. Check it out below, I'm sure a few fans will never have heard this forgotten gem.

I'd have loved this to have made its way out in better audio, but it never has! :) x

We have the dress rehearsal recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scion said:

The Studio Tracks from CT you mentioned weren't added in to support the songs, that's actually how they sounded on the shows!.. those tracks are the actual concert playback recordings of the songs she lipped to most nights as the tour went on. I don't think Sorry was ever live once though... 

Although, Hung Up was actually sung live the nights they filmed the DVD for CT... but in post production they instead dubbed it over with the track she mimed to for most European and Asian shows. Make no mistake, Hung Up wasn't live over a backing track generally on later CT, it was for the most part entirely prerecorded besides the interaction  and the DVD documents that well.

Theres also incredible footage of one of the Fresno shows where she phones in La Isla Bonita also and the recording they had is absolutely incredible and sounds nothing like any performance of the song in her career. However, it's not the same as the DVD unlike the other songs. Check it out below, I'm sure a few fans will never have heard this forgotten gem.

I'd have loved this to have made its way out in better audio, but it never has! :) x

I love this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 4:44 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I'd be content with some editing (the backdrops to make the moment feel there similar to Confessions) and especially during some performances like IDSIF, Batuka, Crave etc. But I do hope in the softer moments of the show it isn't messed with too much. Her voice in Sodade and others shouldn't be altered way too much because she nailed those performance. I don't mind some stylistic editing in her releases but MDNA and RHT to an extent was almost seizure inducing.

Yeah, just give us her vocals without sounding like she's karaoking her own songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enrico said:

Let's put it this way. She has always done this, but I think in the past 15 years her control over her stuff and her power over her people have grown stronger. Maybe she was like this in the Eighties and Nineties too, but someone more powerful than her stopped her or said no. Someone made her do better musical choices. If she is behind the decision to dub and re-edit all her live vocal performances, she's making a huge mistake because she just gives an impression that everything you see and hear is false, which should be embarassing for an artist who has always looked for truth and integrity.

It was also different back then because the shows were broadcast live on HBO and technology didn't allow the same kind of tweaking that it does today. She can even use pitch correction during the show now (and does.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 12:25 AM, Blue Jean said:

It was also different back then because the shows were broadcast live on HBO and technology didn't allow the same kind of tweaking that it does today. She can even use pitch correction during the show now (and does.)

Yeah, I really do miss the live element present on her older tours, and it’ll be a shame if the Madame X Tour DVD is as corrected and filtered as The MDNA Tour and Rebel Heart Tour DVDs were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've wondered about the editing particularly of MDNA and Rebel Heart being SO overdone because there's been so many decent to high quality bootlegs available on YouTube well before those tours were even completed, much less ready for her to broadcast or release a "definitive" version. 
We all know she likes the element of surprise, but when every tiny detail of each show on each tour is already available to be seen, compared, and graded... what else can she do to wow us? First, the footage must obviously be edited to capture each angle shot, in real time, so that the at-home audience feels dizzy from the pseudo-360 degree 3-D effect.... but let's NOT put the backdrops as bonus material. They MUST be overlaid ON TOP of the HD footage. Lest we not "see" the show as it was meant to be. 😂😂
looks like the MXT is another case of using the entire toolbox of effects...perhaps she forgot she locked up all the additional film crew's equipment this time around?  Lol

it seems like it's a 'chicken or the egg' type of situation. Did she cause it, or did we? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucky90210 said:

Oh quit your crying' They are all great for different reasons.

 

AND MX Tour NEEDS a Huge edit.

It’s hardly crying, just sharing different opinions. And why does it need a huge edit? It’s an intimate and smaller-scale tour and I just think a DVD should reflect that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.