Do You Miss Madame X?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
7 minutes ago, Andymad said:

Look I was very excited when she came up with all of these personas for MX. They were exciting and fresh for her, I couldn’t wait to see where it went! However once the album released, it really wasn’t anything I was jumping up and down about. And the personas kind of just went nowhere. I thought for sure after seeing her as a spy we’d get another Die Another Day. I thought she’d create something epic with that blue dress look with the pigtails. I was living for it.  Anyway. It is what it is. It was a fantastic concept for her but I don’t think she really had a well thought out plan for it. I don’t think she should have toured straight away. 

This is how I feel to be honest. I was very excited when she first posted that video clip of the personas. The album and the videos we got were incredible and for me the visuals were her best since American Life, however I was hoping she’d explore all the personas a little more on the tour. 

Agree!! The manifesto is very disappointing. It clearly refkects who she is but has almost anything to do with the album and the songs. Where is the housekeeper? Where is the mother? (Oh, maybe in "Looking for Mercy" ?)

I have the impression it was made to justify the different faces of the album, its striking incoherence. You can like the album, but it's combination of three different sounds (a new contemporary sound, with reggaeton and trap, the Portuguese one, the retro one).

Pity she didn't use the idea for the tour sections either.

I love the idea, love the concept behind it. I really liked that Madame X represented so many things and liked the album as well, but I think with all the touring and the injury she suffered, the era just didn't go entirely as she had intended it to.

But, I still enjoyed it anyway and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

Actually I did like the album, for the most part. The Crave music video is great. The tour was a little messy, but a lot of it was not her fault. I'm not sure if a new album is even going through her head at this point. I want her to take some much needed time off and recover.

6 hours ago, somethingscomingover said:

I love the idea, love the concept behind it. I really liked that Madame X represented so many things and liked the album as well, but I think with all the touring and the injury she suffered, the era just didn't go entirely as she had intended it to.

But, I still enjoyed it anyway and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

This is exactly how I feel.   I will admit that I was expecting to see more characters to emerge with each new video, but it didn't seem to really go that way.  I'm not disappointed because the videos were still excellent and some of her best in years.  Like mentioned, I think the tour kinda killed the momentum with all the logistics problems and her injuries. 

Though, I don't take it so seriously to think it's an era I prefer to wish it never happened or as it's become her worse.  It's just entertainment and it hasn't really put a damper on my life.  I'm just happy to see her still entertaining.  I can see after this era, why she would feel it's time to go away for a while. 

9 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Madame X, possibly the worst era in her entire 38 year career for me. Very glad that it is pretty much done, and we will hopefully see her move onto something a lot better.... and hopefully she will have thrown away that autotune machine too.

You can’t tell me you weren’t living for the looks! THE LOOKS! I wish she went further with them. I know and completely get how you feel, me too. Once I saw the Madame X looks and photo shoots I was like... I can’t even describe. Eva Peron meets Handsmaid Tales meets Russian Spy hooker. And it sort of fell flat. Something about this whole concept doesn’t seem complete to me. She can’t honestly feel content with how she wanted this to turn out. Like I said in my past post... I was hoping for another DAD

49 minutes ago, Andymad said:

You can’t tell me you weren’t living for the looks! THE LOOKS! I wish she went further with them. I know and completely get how you feel, me too. Once I saw the Madame X looks and photo shoots I was like... I can’t even describe. Eva Peron meets Handsmaid Tales meets Russian Spy hooker. And it sort of fell flat. Something about this whole concept doesn’t seem complete to me. She can’t honestly feel content with how she wanted this to turn out. Like I said in my past post... I was hoping for another DAD

Well, I wasn't 'living' for the looks, but some of those looks did indeed look good, and it was even more intriguing that they were supposed to be attached to different character personalities... her error, however, was that she never really took it all further beyond the few initial looks. She had this whole M-X 'manifesto' that just went absolutely nowhere... it really could have been soooooo interesting, a full concept carried through the imagery, the music, and the performance... completely new territory for her, but.... well, it was just never utilised. It's unfortunate. I think Madame X will forever be known as her era of missed opportunities... which is sad, as the parts were all there to create something really big and interesting.

I really don't know why a lot of fans hate Madame X. Obviously it was not her best era, but it was... interesting. And coming from Hard Candy, MDNA and Rebel Heart, that is something. Musically it was different, she explored many genres and cultures (I wish she had focused on something more specific, because I enjoy more a cohesive album but okay) and for the first time in years I really feel she sounded fresh. She gave us a lot of videos, and they were all great. My only complaint here is the editing, I would have liked them to be more delicate with it. And then the tour... Unfortunately it didn't go as planned. It was a shame (for all the fans affected in particular) because the reviews were great and Madonna seemed to be really enjoying it. I hope she gets the rest she needs now and have a proper recover.