Do You Miss Madame X?

6 hours ago, Anonna said:

Indeed, I feel more than 90 % of the bad reputation surrounding Madame X comes from the tour. 

No, the bad reputation started with Eurovision. Maybe her worst perfomance.

I loved the concept of Madame X, but after Eurovision, in my opinion, the "Madame X" era was a mess. 

The album campaign started out strong, but then it just feels like she lost the support of the "label".

"Promo singles" were sent out, and were all over the Net before you could even buy them,

Videos were released within short periods of time, with no accompanying singles (Where are the "God Control" remixes and video on digital retailers, yet remixes for IDSIF were sent out??).

Why no remixes for Dark Ballet or Future?

Why not release a Live Video for IDSIF to promote the single and the Tour?

It's the same thing every time with Live Nation/Universal: it starts out strong and then, once the Tour starts, it all goes tits up and everything starts to get shaky in terms of promotion and releases.

Madonna even has to shell out the money for her own videos.

Now, that she's free, hopefully she can find an agency/promoter and label who will be interested in her music...you know, the driving force in her career.

• 2 months later...

One of her very best eras. She was beautiful, gave really interesting interviews where she spoke about her music really passionately (when did it last happen?!), we even got a documentary to explain the album and its genesis in depth! Love her alter ego, the typewriter, the black hair, the Lisbon influence. Everything was stunning. The album itself is one of her best (if we ignore Bitch I'm Loca). We even got 6 (!) music videos and her very first theatre tour. STUNNING. Just stunning. I only wish she had performed a bit better at the Eurovision contest and played a bit more nicely on UK TV (they shredded her on twitter for that). 

I love you Madonna please don't disappear for another 4 years ?

8 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

One of her very best eras. She was beautiful, gave really interesting interviews where she spoke about her music really passionately (when did it last happen?!), we even got a documentary to explain the album and its genesis in depth! Love her alter ego, the typewriter, the black hair, the Lisbon influence. Everything was stunning. The album itself is one of her best (if we ignore Bitch I'm Loca). We even got 6 (!) music videos and her very first theatre tour. STUNNING. Just stunning. I only wish she had performed a bit better at the Eurovision contest and played a bit more nicely on UK TV (the shredded her on twitter for that). 

I love you Madonna please don't disappear for another 4 years ?

I must have a different concept of "era" because I can't remember a worst era than this. Eurovision, remixes months after the original single release, she cancelled tour dates... I'm not talking about the album or video-clips, obviously. 

36 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I must have a different concept of "era" because I can't remember a worst era than this. Eurovision, remixes months after the original single release, she cancelled tour dates... I'm not talking about the album or video-clips, obviously. 

for me an era is the promotion of the album. I never cared about remixes and cancelled tour dates don't really have anything to do with the concept of the album or how she presented it. So I loved the MX era for the things i stated above.

9 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

for me an era is the promotion of the album. I never cared about remixes and cancelled tour dates don't really have anything to do with the concept of the album or how she presented it. So I loved the MX era for the things i stated above.

An era the promotion of the album? For me an era it's the whole life of the released album. For example, Like A Prayer: Since the first single was released as a promo (1989) until the "Truth or Dare" movie premiere (1991) (includes singles, remixes, video-clips, Vogue, Blond Ambition Tour, Truth or Dare....) because the album was alive on radio stations, tv stations, everywhere...

I often wonder how much she wanted any of us to look into M-X manifesto. I think it’s a beautiful piece of poetry that is backed by the videos. Madame X is Madonna. The manifesto is what she’s being doing all these year. I’d even say it sums up Madonna and her history. Yes the personas are interesting and they carry many beautiful looks, but I’m not sure they were the forefront of the era. Madame X is an old name given to her once for changing looks so much. That’s Madonna in a handbag. Constantly changing. Even with all that, I do believe Madame X lives as her own identity within the album and videos. A woman, betrayed by the world, seeking love and answers in the darkness. The tour ofcourse wasn’t probably the most fulfilled of her tours but she clearly had interest in what she was doing. But being in pain can set fire to everything once planned. Could there have been more? Maybe. Madame X could’ve been better executed via a follow up album and then a tour. I always adored how DWT married Music and Ray of Light so well. The same could’ve been done here. But, what was done is done. I listen to album quite often, but I usually do that with whatever the latest album is. I soak it in. I want to see what M saw . What she felt. 

I feel like we barely got to know her. Was she shot in the eye during the American Life era?  During a "gang bang"?!?! Was it a tribute to Bette Davis? Pete Burns? Or just a creative way to cover a botched eye job?! Dammit. I'd like to know.

I found it interesting when she was interviewed she said she "had to come up with a persona"...

It sounded...a little forced? Kind of like Secret Project Revolution to me.

Loved the looks and hair hats.

Her single choices still baffle me.

Did not care for the tour setlist. The Polaroid bit (I know it raised money). 

I'll still take it over the children's book author phase.

I feel like we barely got to know her. Was she shot in the eye during the American Life era?  During a "gang bang"?!?! Was it a tribute to Bette Davis? Pete Burns? Or just a creative way to cover a botched eye job?! Dammit. I'd like to know.

I found it interesting when she was interviewed she said she "had to come up with a persona"...

It sounded...a little forced? Kind of like Secret Project Revolution to me.

Loved the looks and hair hats.

Her single choices still baffle me.

Did not care for the tour setlist. The Polaroid bit (I know it raised money). 

I'll still take it over the children's book author phase.

10 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

An era the promotion of the album? For me an era it's the whole life of the released album. For example, Like A Prayer: Since the first single was released as a promo (1989) until the "Truth or Dare" movie premiere (1991) (includes singles, remixes, video-clips, Vogue, Blond Ambition Tour, Truth or Dare....) because the album was alive on radio stations, tv stations, everywhere...

When I think of the Like a prayer era, I only think of 1989. The look, the interviews and magazine covers, the music videos for the album, the EY performance, the Pepsi commercial. When Vogue and Dick Tracy were released, it was a completely new project her focus shifted :)

9 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

When I think of the Like a prayer era, I only think of 1989. The look, the interviews and magazine covers, the music videos for the album, the EY performance, the Pepsi commercial. When Vogue and Dick Tracy were released, it was a completely new project her focus shifted :)

No, because she continued working in the Like a Prayer songs for the Blond Ambition Tour (and Vogue is originally a B-Side from Keep It Together). So the life of the "Like A Prayer" album lasted until the end of the Blond Ambition Tour (Radio, Television, etc). In my opinion, the "Like A Prayer" era died when she released "Justify My Love" (and the Erotica pre-era started).

4 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, because she continued working in the Like a Prayer songs for the Blond Ambition Tour (and Vogue is originally a B-Side from Keep It Together). So the life of the "Like A Prayer" album lasted until the end of the Blond Ambition Tour (Radio, Television, etc). In my opinion, the "Like A Prayer" era died when she released "Justify My Love".

Well, not for me :)

9 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Im ready for round 2!

Way to revive a 2 month old thread @DickTracy  ?

I meant the date specifically! ‘Twas a simpler time, picture itNYC March 9, 2020. I went for a joyride the other day and it was so eerie n quiet in UES and Midtown Manhattan at rush hour on a beautiful Spring weekday. 

? but fuck yes I miss the tour ? I miss live music so much rn. Hopefully whoever edits the thing is still able to do so and get us something to watch at home soon!

Been streaming so many live performances lately but it just isn’t the same, and we are just approaching festival season ?

I was excited about Madame X until she introduced herself in person. So I'm not really sad to see her go. I wanted to like her, but she polished up her resume too much, and was more than she could (or wanted) to deliver once she got the job.  I want to think that the show wasn't finished and the crazy schedule and injuries just kept her from evolving the show into a more unique and fluid experience from night to night, and that may be wishful thinking, but whyever the timeline of her injuries is, the show was a train wreck from the start.  The path from mysterious Madame X to Mozart out da pussy jokes was like a rollercoaster stalling out in the middle of the ride. Excellent concept, great visual content, shitty attitude from MX starting with album promo interviews forward, and the shockingly amateur execution of the tour. I can't help but now  think the only true successes of this era was the absolute lockdown on leaks, and the #1's on the album and dance charts.
the wasted potential of all the Madame X personas is more confusing than anything. 
I hope the concert film changes my mind, but I'm okay with Madame X handing the reigns back over to Madonna. 

For me personally it's one of the best eras. I really love album, mix of different cultures in it. First time since confessions she gave us new and exciting looks, dark hair and really creative costumes in videos. Tour costumes were weak this time.

Attended to "release party" with M and Graham in London, saw 9 Madame X shows (had 10, but one was cancelled). It was so different experience, but really unforgettable. 

The biggest low of this era - Eurovision. It's a big thing in Lithuania and after that performance... press shredded here into pieces and all my friends were laughing about it. 

I Can't say I miss Madame X, it's just a bit dissapointing she fizzled out like that. Though I like the idea of an alter ego for an album, I'm not sure we live in the right era for people to understand it, we live in such a literal age. Furthermore the album madame X had absolutely nothing, not one single thing to do with the idea of a spy taking on all these guises. So the alter ego was kind of an ill fitting afterthought trying to tie the album together (well no wonder if you ask Jeremy Scott for creative input, ill fitting is what he does best). I do love the idea of using the Martha Graham story as an umbrella and/or explanation for M taking inspiration in so many different music styles from all over the world. Married with the docu filmed in Lisbon (that no one except her real fans knows of) it would have made perfect sense and supported the musical side. Now we got the Martha origin story, the football mom living in Lisbon story, the stupid "manifesto" spy story, it was confusing. Every interview and review started talking about this stupid she's a whore and a nun list, which never made sense in the first place. So all the reviews but also interviews were kind of spiraling in mid air. I think this would have been the perfect album to make people focus on the album itself and it's topics, because that I think is still one of her best. Maybe I would have even liked it better if Madame X came with just the X on the cover, no images of her whatsoever, that would have been intriguing. It's just a shame to me that everyone knows she was wearing an eye patch but hardly anyone knows how the album was put together. So in short, yes I miss Madame X the artistic statement, I don't miss Madame X the photoshoot ;-)