Do You Miss Madame X?

5 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

What the fuck does "Spy in the house of love" even mean?!

The protagonist, Sabina, is a firebrand blazing through 1950s New York in the pursuit of her desires. The novel opens with her calling a random strangers' number, who happens to be a lie detector, in the middle of the night from a bar seeking to confess or find solace in the voice of a stranger. This same lie detector proceeds to follow Sabina in her activities throughout the novel. Her life becomes more and more complex the more involved she gets with her various love interests while trying to sustain her relationship with her husband, Alan, whom she feels she cannot live without. The level of deceit which she is forced to maintain with her hedonistic lifestyle leads her to regard herself as "an international spy in the house of love".

The most disappointed thing in this era was the lack of radio support...

I loved the Madame X era. We had fun with Medelllin, insiring songs and videos like Batuka, danceable songs like IDSIF or Faz Gostozo, pop, latin influence, performances... I mean there are many many things I just loved in this era.

Her looks were great too.

Did I miss it ? No, I can't wait for what's next !!

I know, but I'm still mad at them for not playing a good pop song, especially when it's Madonna but not only. They're not doing the same job they did when I grew up.

And even if we think Madonna is beyond radio now, it's a shame that her newer stuff cannot have a chance to reach the masses. Radio still has that power and contribute to it IMO.

I mean in her career, even when her reputation was down, she had radio support, that's why she kept coming back with hits like Secret, or You'll See. Without radio support, her career would not have been the same.

So yes, in a way, she's beyond radio now, because she can still have enough success to go on with her journey without them, but it could be so much more with a little help from it. The songs deserve, Madonna deserves !

37 minutes ago, Mister_Pop said:

'm still mad at them for not playing a good pop song, especially when it's Madonna

It's funny, a lot of my friends actually didn't know that Living For Love was Madonna, and they loved it. The second they knew it was Madonna they're like "YAAAAWN". Everyone has this thing with her that she's some old pop act. Meanwhile she still DOES make good songs. Losers they're missing out :polish:

22 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

The question should be does anyone really believe she sat on that nickname for 35 years?

so you think she just made up the whole story about being called Madame X back in her early days?  its possible, but i also think she probably didnt think very fondly of it until more recently. maybe she didnt really think about it until something reminded her?  i know there are plenty of things in my life that i never thought was very significant until years later.

Edited by Gilbert (see edit history)

Guest Nobody Knows Me
On 5/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, MDNA22 said:

I think the eyepatch confused people. I think her best album since Confessions - wish she was still with Warner Bros and had Liz Rosenberg for PR and the campaign handled better.

Me too. Hopefully she can negotiate a new deal with Warner. I hope they let us know what’s going on text in terms of labels and contracts.

2 hours ago, Blondie said:

Just hope the eye patch is gone too!

I second this :Madonna049:

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

so you think she just made up the whole story about being called Madame X back in her early days?  its possible, but i also think she probably didnt think very fondly of it until more recently. maybe she didnt really think about it until something reminded her?  i know there are plenty of things in my life that i never thought was very significant until years later.

Well, the subject of her experiences with Martha Graham has been brought up MANY times during her career, more extensively during that Harpers Bazaar interview in 1994. But not until the M-X album, 40 years after the events, was it even brought up... surely, something as poignant as that would have been mentioned sooner?, especially as she was so detailed in her descriptions of Graham in that 94 interview at least. Of course, it could be true, but personally, I think its about as true as her $35 dollars in her pocket Times Square story, lol

4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

1 hour ago, PWCCA said:

Well, the subject of her experiences with Martha Graham has been brought up MANY times during her career, more extensively during that Harpers Bazaar interview in 1994. But not until the M-X album, 40 years after the events, was it even brought up... surely, something as poignant as that would have been mentioned sooner?, especially as she was so detailed in her descriptions of Graham in that 94 interview at least. Of course, it could be true, but personally, I think its about as true as her $35 dollars in her pocket Times Square story, lol

My thoughts exactly lol 

Was even going to bring up the $35/ Times Square story.

Not complaining. I love when she carries on with the mythology.

2 hours ago, PWCCA said:

maybe so.  its possible that its something she didnt really think of. i dont think anyone of us can say either way.  But I agree that there is a bit of a mythology to her becoming famous, like the $35 story  but then again the point was that she came to NYC with very little money in her pocket which is most likely true.

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

maybe so.  its possible that its something she didnt really think of. i dont think anyone of us can say either way.  But I agree that there is a bit of a mythology to her becoming famous, like the $35 story  but then again the point was that she came to NYC with very little money in her pocket which is most likely true.

For sure.

I just like to balance my extreme love for her with some light hearted shenanigans. Like how the BA dancers said she wore fake pearls and had plastic surgery. I enjoy clocking her for silly things.

I don't miss Madame X at all, I didn't get it at all. Still the only Madonna album I don't own.

I didn't get the Hard Candy era either with that terrible artwork and songs. It took me about 10 years to buy Hard Candy and that was only because it was the Japanese edition. 

no. I didn't feel this era at all. To be honest, i was really hyped at the beginning. The first preview she posted was really good, Mirwais coming back had me excited, the concept of the alter ego named Madame X was very interesting, the promotion seemed on point. Then Medellin came and those promo singles weren't good. The album dropped and my first listen was very...confusing. I listened the whole thing non-stop for a week or something and never again.

To me, it's fighting with MDNA for her worst album. The message of the album feels so forced, it probably has her worst lyrics, the abuse of autotune and vocoder to the point you can't understand what is she saying, the sound of the album feels all over the place (which is ironic since RH isn't very cohesive either), the molodies are meh, the singles are bad (except Crave which is an ok song), that annoying babbling-singing she does in some songs, the tragic performances, those horrible interviews that backfired for her strange mood and behavior, the tour... well. The tour problem wasn't her fault.

The only good thing i take from that era are the music videos. She really feeded us with that one.

Edited by DWMG (see edit history)

Yeah, some things can always be executed better including single choices, performances in award/TV shows, etc., the damn eye patch was not something I particularly enjoyed; however, I admit it was fascinating to hear Madonna's new music and image resurge from the ashes after the mess of the Rebel Heart era which gave us, possibly, her least cohesive album ever.

It was lovely to see her going brunette after so many years! The songs are great despite of the unnecessary autotune but 99% of them supported the big ass persona she tried to emulate this time around.

Gosh, I Don't Search I Find is AN ANTHEM. And I had so much fun attending her concerts a couple of months ago :whip: 

Hope I am wrong but I still have the feeling we won't have anything new from her in years to come. Probably a couple of photoshoots here and there, and possibly a collaboration or a different kind of project. She was really busy going to Malawi between 2016 and 2018 so...

Bitches who tore the whole era to shreds are gonna regret it so much and will have to settle for even more LP reissues and imaginary anniversary boxsets:bothered:

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I go back and forth on this era so much. When the trailer was first released and “Medellín” was released I was really excited. As cliche as it sounds, it went south the second Eurovision happened for me. It seemed evident she wanted this album and her message to be taken seriously but she really wasn’t achieving that wearing an eyepatch. I did love the album and still do, despite its unnecessary autotune and rap features at times. For me the tour was disappointing. I understand the cancellations weren’t her fault, but I do think it could’ve been handled better. It was a weird era overall and I don’t really miss “Madame X” :oi:

Who knows what’ll happen next. For the first time I seriously have no idea. Hopefully we’ll find out soon what’s going on with record labels but until then I’ll just watch the Confessions Tour for the millionth time :Madonna015: