What M song made you a FAN?

MarXus

I became a fan listening to 4 minutes, while finishing primary school. It was huge back then and her last huge moment up till now. Even celebration became big and lots of my male friends had those two on their phones. I still believe 4 minutes is my early puberty song. I could just listen to the instrumental and feel its power. Then at 14 I discovered Sorry and that sealed the deal.

While Hung Up was the one who made me discover her music and got my first album "Confessions on a Dance Floor" as a birthday gift, I had heard a few choice tracks on the radio and through my older sister who is a fan. I had heard "Human Nature, Music, Into The Groove" but the one that stuck out to me the most was this one:

I remember searching Limewire for the song (numerous fakes and the LOL adult film titles always was a joke) and ended up discovering songs like American Life (which I confused it for), American Pie, This Used To Be My Playground, Justify My Love and a few others. It was how radio friendly it was to me, the choppy guitars, the electronic blurbs done by Mirwais and the video image of her line dancing and riding the mechanical bull. Those stuck to me as a kid but I didn't remember the title so this song definitely suckered me into Madonna's spell.

I was aware of Madonna's music before '85, but it wasn't until "Material Girl" that I realize how much of an impact she was having.  "Into The Groove" is the song that truly grabbed me, but when I heard "Live To Tell" a year later, that I really became a fan.  That song hooked me.  I truly felt that song changed her from being just another flash in the pan to an artist that both males and females enjoyed.

Just now, MarXus said:

I was aware of Madonna's music before '85, but it wasn't until "Material Girl" that I realize how much of an impact she was having.  "Into The Groove" is the song that truly grabbed me, but when I heard "Live To Tell" a year later, that I really became a fan.  That song hooked me.  I truly feel that song changed her from being an artist that females wanted to just emulated, to males just adoring her as well.

No matter how many times I hear it this track will always astound me. It's completely unexpected from her and lives up to its classic status. So powerful, emotional and cinematic to be delivered by someone people were already writing off made even more powerful with the change in look. One of my favorites!

4 minutes ago, MarXus said:

I was aware of Madonna's music before '85, but it wasn't until "Material Girl" that I realize how much of an impact she was having.  "Into The Groove" is the song that truly grabbed me, but when I heard "Live To Tell" a year later, that I really became a fan.  That song hooked me.  I truly felt that song changed her from being just another flash in the pan to an artist that both males and females enjoyed.

I agree with you. "Express Yourself (remix)" made me a fan for multiple reasons, but before "Live To Tell" made me to take her seriously as a singer.  

Just now, thelioncourtheart_ said:

No matter how many times I hear it this track will always astound me. It's completely unexpected from her and lives up to its classic status. So powerful, emotional and cinematic to be delivered by someone people were already writing off made even more powerful with the change in look. One of my favorites!

I agree.  It wasn't until "Live to Tell" and afterwards, people started to take her more seriously.  Certainly, many still doubted her, but a lot of that is because she kept shocking and making statements.  Her artististery was always in question for even years to come, but we all know you can only can strike gold so many times when you are obviously blessed with a talent.  I won't pretend that she was this great musical talent, but as she kept progressing, she perfect her art and became a great artist and entertainer.  She may not have become as deep as some felt any talented musical artist should be, but she managed to keep interest musically and visually for decades.  Lyrically people questioned her, but as she kept going, she's proven to be a great writer and vocalist.

Well, in the summer of 2005, my mom bought the Immaculate Collection because I had been obsessing over some random song called Holiday by a singer called Madonna or something. I was in 5th grade at that point. That sealed the deal.

We played the album every single day that summer. I instantly became familiar with 17 of her biggest songs, almost overnight.

My first era was that fall when I started middle school and was introduced to Confessions on a Dance Floor. Jump was my instant obsession. To this day, one of my Top 3 favorite Madonna songs.

And then The Confessions Tour in Chicago that next summer...

It was surreal to see Madonna still ruling the world like back then. I feel so fortunate to have gotten to witness her live and in person before Hard Candy and the Madonna of the last 10 years....it really was like a different person back then. Sigh.

2 hours ago, MarXus said:

A great tune but I mentioned it b4, Into The Groove also changed how A Lot of people saw her.
The Malcolm McLaren clip I posted elsewhere 'sorta' mentions her in Desperately Seeking Susan.
You'd see Goths run to be first on the dance-floor when that came on.
They never normally ran anywhere.
Plus how many mixes of it originally...One ?

I always liked her music and videos .. but after seeing her in "Me Against The Music" video ... :hearteyes: - I know that it's not her song and so on but --
Not sure why then .. but (my theory is that) I was going through some really hard times back then (as a kid) and I just found comfort or salvation in her music.

:dihtltt:

:Madonna002:

Borderline...that was a long time ago. Actually I saw the video first and fell in love immediately.

At that time I only knew Holiday from her and that wasn't exactly a favorite of mine.

I was very young at the time ... Boy George and Cyndi Lauper were my first heroes and then she came ... and changed my life!

She accompanied me until 2000 and then we were kind of separated for a long time ... until 2015 (Rebel Heart). I was disappointed with every album ... maybe Ray of light was just too good and it was hard to bring out something similar great after that. All albums were weak afterwards (i liked some songs like Paradise (Not for me) or Intervention) but none of them was special to me. Her last two are real gems....and yes, I really love Madame X! A bold, political album. Unusual, sometimes weird, but overall superb (Looking for mercy)

Hung Up. I heard it in some commercial on TV, it was November - December 2005. I was 13 years old. So it was the first song I managed to find on some random CD, but it was Stuart Price Remix. Since then I became obsessed with her music and videos, even though it was quite a challenge to find them! I had to ask all my friends for their pirate CDs will all kinds of random songs and looked through the tracklists to find her songs. That was my way of collecting her songs in pre-Internet period :lol: Some other songs I remember were Sorry, Love Profusion and American  Life. I remember watching some talk-show about Madonna's  first concert in Moscow (I'm from Russia) and at the end of it there was Get Together. That was it - I was mesmerized by that song, its sound.

I actually miss that feeling of discovering Her for the first time, step by step, and the more you got to know her and her music, the stronger your love grew :cry: