Is Madonna Just Hype?

baymad4her

20 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

I think it's hype that a Madonna album and lead single shoots atop the charts for a week, referring to all her recent work. A new artist with the exact same work would probably never go on top like that but would have better endurance and single success on the charts due to radio. Now if we're talking about her entire career, of course she's not hype. She's been killing almost every genre and made quality songs in every decade, famous or not. There was always great music to back up whatever gossip was keeping her relevant.

When has that happened of late?  Her albums only have gone #1 or top 5 simply because of genuine sales. It doesn't take much to reach #1 especially if you are well known and have a significant fan base who will buy every format/version that is available.  As for her singles, it hasn't been as successful these last several albums.  Last one to shoot up any chart is GMAYL and that simply did because of the deal with radio she made that lead up to the week of the Superbowl. 

I totally agree with the second half of your post.  It's because of her longevity and success in the music world she still is able to maintain a career she has.  Much like with Elvis, Michael Jackson and the Beatles.  They all have secured themselves as iconic music moguls, so they will always capture interest of people, and still do relatively well with new releases or re-releases, etc.

2 hours ago, MarXus said:

When has that happened of late?  Her albums only have gone #1 or top 5 simply because of genuine sales. It doesn't take much to reach #1 especially if you are well known and have a significant fan base who will buy every format/version that is available.  As for her singles, it hasn't been as successful these last several albums.  Last one to shoot up any chart is GMAYL and that simply did because of the deal with radio she made that lead up to the week of the Superbowl.

Yeah, the new artists I spoke about don't have that significant fanbase to make their albums no. 1. They mostly do singles because it's the only thing they can sell. And they won't get that iTunes number one in sixty countries because they lack the hype. Madonna could have an album of white noise released and it'd still sell for a few hours purely out of hype I think. Not just her of course. Taylor Swift hit no. 2 with ME! because of the hype. Their names are sometimes bigger than the music. With Madonna I think it's the name that sells that still impressive amount of albums, and the name that sells such few singles. Yeah I was wrong about the singles part before.

31 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

Yeah, the new artists I spoke about don't have that significant fanbase to make their albums no. 1. They mostly do singles because it's the only thing they can sell. And they won't get that iTunes number one in sixty countries because they lack the hype. Madonna could have an album of white noise released and it'd still sell for a few hours purely out of hype I think. Not just her of course. Taylor Swift hit no. 2 with ME! because of the hype. Their names are sometimes bigger than the music. With Madonna I think it's the name that sells that still impressive amount of albums, and the name that sells such few singles. Yeah I was wrong about the singles part before.

Yeah, but I'm not sure if that is really "hype", rather people are familiar with these artists and their music.  Any artist who has had a string up successful albums or songs, people are going to buy it because they genuiely like these artist's music even without the hype.  Yes, "Name" does sell.  But these artists like Madonna and Taylor Swift have had a string of music that appeals to a mass amount of people, and when that success keeps repeating, you'll have people interested in buying their follow up albums whether there is any hype around it or not.  Though, I do see what you're getting at here.  Sometimes it all goes hand in hand.  After all, a good artist kinda has to create a bit of hype for each album to maintain interest.  But going back to the OP's post, I don't see Madonna as being all "hype" anymore than I think Taylor Swift is.  Both artists have deep roots in producing music that appeals to a mass majority.  Of course, that dies down as artists get older, but someone like Madonna has produced so many iconic songs that she'll always be remember as the Queen of Pop and associated with 80's in music history.  Hype just didn't create that.

8 minutes ago, Mp1992 said:

Her YouTube views are actually pretty good, she has the most views for an over 60 female artist

Streisand, Janet, Cher have TERRIBLE YT views but they're still legends too

That's because these artists including Madonna has achieved legendary status long before Youtube came along.  Youtube doesn't define an artist status in the music industry.  However, newer artists may be held more to social media presence to achieve such a status in the future.

4 minutes ago, MarXus said:

That's because these artists including Madonna has achieved legendary status long before Youtube came along.  Youtube doesn't define an artist status in the music industry.  However, newer artists may be held more to social media presence to achieve such a status in the future.

Exactly but why is Madonna, who despite a shit label that kept on deleting her videos with huge views repeatedly, get singled out, when she's more successful with YT views than the others I listed?

Odd

And Madonna has about 3-5 singles in the UK that are very close to being a million seller, she's gonna go from having none to having about 3 UK Million sellers suddenly

You would think that Madonna selling more albums and more singles collectively than any women in UK history would be enough for some people, but....

13 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Yeah, but I'm not sure if that is really "hype", rather people are familiar with these artists and their music.  Any artist who has had a string up successful albums or songs, people are going to buy it because they genuiely like these artist's music even without the hype.  Yes, "Name" does sell.  But these artists like Madonna and Taylor Swift have had a string of music that appeals to a mass amount of people, and when that success keeps repeating, you'll have people interested in buying their follow up albums whether there is any hype around it or not.  Though, I do see what you're getting at here.  Sometimes it all goes hand in hand.  After all, a good artist kinda has to create a bit of hype for each album to maintain interest.  But going back to the OP's post, I don't see Madonna as being all "hype" anymore than I think Taylor Swift is.  Both artists have deep roots in producing music that appeals to a mass majority.  Of course, that dies down as artists get older, but someone like Madonna has produced so many iconic songs that she'll always be remember as the Queen of Pop and associated with 80's in music history.  Hype just didn't create that.

Sorry I just don't understand the point of this thread. People can say whatever they want about Madonna. We shouldn't be discussing each individual's absurd opinions. One could say she is an alien or a witch or that she never made a good album lol. I think Madonna hasn't made the best music in the world. Women like Bjork have consistently made better quality in music. But in this world where it's the pop music that sells, because it's literally pop-ular no one has done it better than Madonna because she never lost her catchiness, she never made albums worse than the best selling pop albums and she always made work that stood out. It's not worth discussing anyone's opinion when it includes the word age in there. My mom and so many moms will retire at an older age than her because apparently they ain't old enough.

I have said this a number of times to friends. If Madonna were to start out today, she'd have bukley chances. She was very very fortunate and very smart. She started her career where the industry was less saturated and at a time when the music video was just starting out. It was also before the internet of things happened, so she was able to find music that was big underground and make it mainstream - now all music is mainstream.

But, what is hype these days, are other artists, most of the current artists that are charting at the moment are big not because the music is different or innovative, not because of the message, just because of who they are. In fact, there isn't anything that can be done in music these days it's all been done. There are no more boundaries to push, it's been done. The only boundary is age now, and Madonna appears to be fighting an uphill battle against. She isn't less successful these days, it's just that her fan base is older, less likely to stream content and so her streaming is not good and when charts are geared towards streaming - she hasn't got much of a chance.

1 hour ago, Blue Prince said:

Sorry I just don't understand the point of this thread. People can say whatever they want about Madonna. We shouldn't be discussing each individual's absurd opinions. One could say she is an alien or a witch or that she never made a good album lol. I think Madonna hasn't made the best music in the world. Women like Bjork have consistently made better quality in music. But in this world where it's the pop music that sells, because it's literally pop-ular no one has done it better than Madonna because she never lost her catchiness, she never made albums worse than the best selling pop albums and she always made work that stood out. It's not worth discussing anyone's opinion when it includes the word age in there. My mom and so many moms will retire at an older age than her because apparently they ain't old enough.

While I agree with much of what you said, I guess you should keep in mind that the OP is expressing what a "friend" expressed to him.  I think we all have experienced that friend or family member who gives you shit over being a fan.  I pretty much see this as the case.  Also, some people just love to hate her.  And in cases, some people just don't care or see her as their taste in music.  You're so right it's all about "opinions" here.  And that's why it's being discussed.  For instance, I can't really get into Bjork's music to fairly assess how great she is.  That's just my personal feeling.  I just don't enjoy her like others do.  So I'm assuming the same is thought of Madonna by others. Still, I'm open to accept Bjork may make better quality music then some artists I really enjoy.  But again, that's just one's opinion and/or taste being expressed. 

That all being said, Pop music is far more popular to people than what Bjork's music.  In fact, I see Bjork as probably of a true artist who doesn't conform to just what is popular. That's the sort of artist she is, and many like that about her.  Still, age plays a huge part in one being successful in popular music.  That genre has always been geared to the youth, so it's expected to think Madonna isn't as popular as she used to be due to her age.  Still, it doesn't mean she's going away or can't produce great pop albums.  She's been part of pop culture so long, she will always be there, even if it's as a thorn to some sides. She ain't going anywhere.  And we all know a 100 years from now, when we all are long gone, she will still be known as a pop Icon alongside other iconic figures in the last 100 years.

24 minutes ago, MarXus said:

While I agree with much of what you said, I guess you should keep in mind that the OP is expressing what a "friend" expressed to him.  I think we all have experienced that friend or family member who gives you shit over being a fan.  I pretty much see this as the case.  Also, some people just love to hate her.  And in cases, some people just don't care or see her as their taste in music.  You're so right it's all about "opinions" here.  And that's why it's being discussed.  For instance, I can't really get into Bjork's music to fairly assess how great she is.  That's just my personal feeling.  I just don't enjoy her like others do.  So I'm assuming the same is thought of Madonna by others. Still, I'm open to accept Bjork may make better quality music then some artists I really enjoy.  But again, that's just one's opinion and/or taste being expressed. 

That one friend got me confused. First saying Madonna is overrated then wondering why her views are low and why her singles didn't sell that well. Where's the overrated part then? The obsession from the media? Apparently she has been leading a lifestyle in front of them that seemed more interesting than most to many people and many want a glimpse of that. I'm sure Madonna would be well below many other names on the list of overrated women, Kims and Kylies and Kendalls and so on. At least she has a Ray of light and half a dozen more works of genius to her name. Not a sex tape or a lipstick or foundation. Nothing against those K women right now. Just examples. How can even a completely talentless self made woman be overrated when not many in the world can do what she did? 

20 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

That one friend got me confused. First saying Madonna is overrated then wondering why her views are low and why her singles didn't sell that well. Where's the overrated part then? The obsession from the media? Apparently she has been leading a lifestyle in front of them that seemed more interesting than most to many people and many want a glimpse of that. I'm sure Madonna would be well below many other names on the list of overrated women, Kims and Kylies and Kendalls and so on. At least she has a Ray of light and half a dozen more works of genius to her name. Not a sex tape or a lipstick or foundation. Nothing against those K women right now. Just examples. How can even a completely talentless self made woman be overrated when not many in the world can do what she did? 

Yes, we are living in a society right now that people are just famous for being famous.  Of course, some do come from famous parents (such as Kardashians, P. Hilton, etc.) but again they aren't really talented at anything and only known because they had famous parents.  Reality TV has created this new sort of fame.  All you have to do is appear on a reality show and you're famous.  Your talent... screaming at one another and drama.  Not to say some of these people haven't used their fame for good things.  But, Madonna is hardly in the same vein of these people.  She actually has talent.  People are interested in her music and the way she performs on stage.  

Guest Nobody Knows Me
20 minutes ago, I don't search I find said:

The level of Madonna's artistic output (especially between 1989 and 1998) remains completely out of reach to any other pop artist to this day

Exactly, and she’s still giving so much today. It’s literally ridiculous that people don’t give her the credit she deserves.  

I guess that most people (i.e. the general public) see some of Madonna's past misdeeds and controversies as "hype" moments meant to focus the spotlight on her. And I suppose that there are some moments that I would agree were manufactured for that sole purpose, but I still think that Madonna is more substance than hype most of the time. 

10 hours ago, professormouse said:

No.
Re- releasing a TV show with the sound altered is 'a bit much'.

Are you referring to Eurovision?  So would you want to release something from yourself with awful vocals to the world, when people were being so critical before it was changed?  I wouldn't.  Personally, I think what originally aired she had the wrong amount of effects on her vocals which made them worse than what they were.  They just went back and adjusted them for the upload.  Still, whatever the case, no one really cares about this but some fans who can't drop it. 

So many reasons. People like to hate on her because she’s opinionated vs. celebs to keep a low profile on their social/political point of views. She’s made mistakes too (that White House comment taken out of context), plus her team hasn’t taken her legacy seriously. Fans here make better jobs at coming up with ideas than her managing/Live Nation.