Nothing Compares 2 U (Appreciation or Discussion)

scion

Lets all just take a moment to remember one of the few moments Madonna has ever performed a cover on tv. I absolutely adore this at the time, and I still think it was perfectly realised and beautiful.  :hearteyes:

Yes she's a bit flat in places, and that cheap drum loop is completely lifeless, but overall I thought she really delivered the goods, and it was INCREDIBLY brave. It's raw, it's emotional and it's the last time I personally found a performance by her to be brilliant. Jimmy Scott will always be in my eyes the best performer of this song, but otherwise Madonna is bloody incredible here :polish:

I was so proud of this performance. Lots of reactions to this tore her to shreds, but personally I think it's tremendous, and sounds like peak of career Celine in comparison to some of the performances that followed.

Who else love/d this??? X

I loved the costume and the throne. Her vocals were decent.

I did not think the song choice was the best. I think doing something upbeat would have been much better. Perhaps a medley of Let’s go Crazy, Controversy and Sign of the Times. Her tribute to Bowie was much better.

In saying that I was shocked by how much hate she got for this. Even before the performance they were ripping her apart, it was quite ridiculous.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I actually really enjoyed this tribute and I thought she sounded fine, so I was quite shocked at how much backlash she received for this. But she’s Madonna so they’re always trying to give her a hard time.

Being a huge prince fan I thought this was a very nice tribute - when I saw it for the first time and the images of prince flashed behind her , I cried ? I love him as much as I love M and it still hurts today as much as it did in 2016 - I didn’t pay much attention to the criticism of her performance- just the usual Madonna bashing hyprocrites who no doubt when she dies will be lauding her ?

I liked it a lot. But to be honest I'm not captivated by Madonna doing nothing and plainly singing ballads, same as she did with Like A Prayer at Eurovision. A dance cover reconceived with new instruments (no idea what Prince song would suit her better) would blow people away. Purple rain gave the performance some life at the end but still it's better when she does what she does best and that's creating euphoric moments. Other people's ballads, especially from black people, are probably not her terrain and a guaranteed cause of hate.

When Madonna dies I hope dance artists won't only be tributing with Like A Prayer or Frozen by the way. 

I love Prince. I miss him so much. So thanks for posting.  I thought Madonna sang so beautifully and from the heart. So emotional and heartfelt. She looked so beautiful. I loved the backdrop too. Such a powerful and heaven sent moment that gave me goosebumps and does so now too (especially in the times we're living in now). 

26 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

I liked it a lot. But to be honest I'm not captivated by Madonna doing nothing and plainly singing ballads, same as she did with Like A Prayer at Eurovision. A dance cover reconceived with new instruments (no idea what Prince song would suit her better) would blow people away. Purple rain gave the performance some life at the end but still it's better when she does what she does best and that's creating euphoric moments. Other people's ballads, especially from black people, are probably not her terrain and a guaranteed cause of hate.

So true. Prince has so many songs that would suit Madonna. Especially the early stuff. Songs like Erotic City or Dirty Mind are so Madonna.

2 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

I love Prince. I miss him so much. So thanks for posting.  I thought Madonna sang so beautifully and from the heart. So emotional and heartfelt. She looked so beautiful. I loved the backdrop too. Such a powerful and heaven sent moment that gave me goosebumps and does so now too (especially in the times we're living in now). 

True. I did get emotional because you definitely sense her own emotional when she was singing. But that was sort of a burden on her voice as well.

How did I miss this ?
Prince used to give a song away to every act on his label.
I think The Three O'Clock only got attention 'coz theirs didn't.
Any who this one you all know by that awful version.
I LOved the one on The Family's album.
Where's the bum notes in this by the way ?
It was head and shoulders better than Eurovision.

Yeah, the somewhat backlash on this was ridiculous.  Who else, but the Queen of Pop (who did work with him), could honor him?  Certainly, there are many artists who would have done a great job, but why not Madonna too?  She may not have sung her best, but it wasn't bad and we've heard far worse from her.  The song choice was a bit surprising to me, but it's a beautiful song, so why not?  And let's not forget that she and Stevie did do another song of his as well. 

5 hours ago, professormouse said:

How did I miss this ?
Prince used to give a song away to every act on his label.
I think The Three O'Clock only got attention 'coz theirs didn't.
Any who this one you all know by that awful version.
I LOved the one on The Family's album.
Where's the bum notes in this by the way ?
It was head and shoulders better than Eurovision.

If you really wanna know... 1.20, 2.09, 2.52, 3.58, 4.11 (really bad).

that outfit is just gorgeous too :hearteyes: