The Brilliance of 'Rescue Me'

Arckangel

Fun fact though, i have a decade interviewed people from the downtown scene and someone (this french woman close to Maripol who died two years ago) told me that Kier was a total bitch (hence why Towa Tei left deee lite) and she stole a lot of her looks from Debi Mazar and there was a huge war between her and Mazar & her friends about it. 

Power of Love is a 1989 track though, it was an underground hit in the clubs in NYC but it was (not drastically) changed on the album version then remixed for the single version

The vocals and lyrics are very much Loleatta Holloway inspired

On 2/4/2023 at 8:10 AM, Roland Barthes said:

Fun fact though, i have a decade interviewed people from the downtown scene and someone (this french woman close to Maripol who died two years ago) told me that Kier was a total bitch (hence why Towa Tei left deee lite) and she stole a lot of her looks from Debi Mazar and there was a huge war between her and Mazar & her friends about it. 

Power of Love is a 1989 track though, it was an underground hit in the clubs in NYC but it was (not drastically) changed on the album version then remixed for the single version

The vocals and lyrics are very much Loleatta Holloway inspired

Yeah precisely Queen of house and gospel house. Also don't forget that they were part of the NY club scene and places like Sound Factory house of Junior Vasquez, who was involved in Rescue Me.

Deee lite were doing music since 1986 but Groove is in Heart came up the end of 1989 . They started getting attention when they released the album in 1990 and they had a revamp of than song and the album after that.

Lady Miss Kier had beef with Dmitry (they were dating for a while) and people working with them were uncomfortable with the drama.

Towa had an accident during a concert and took the opportunity to rest and leave. But he also said he wasn't paid right, supported by the manager that sued them.

I can see the rivalry between Mazar and Kier

As much as I love this song though - I can’t imagine what video treatment it would have got ? I don’t think she would have had time to make a video as she was heavily in post production for TOD and rehearsals for the Oscar’s - she would have looked gorgeous though I’m sure - maybe MJ could have been in it seeing as they were hanging out at the time 🥰😘

Rescue Me just had the typical treatment for compilations second singles. I don't know why, but second singles of any artist compilations use to  have no videos, no huge promotion, so no huge popularity.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           We all should care less about numbers and insignificant rubbish and treat songs, albums artists as they fairly deserve.                                                                                                                                                                          

Rescue Me, Like A Prayer, Candy Shop, I Rise...  they are just the same in terms of quality and  "madonnism" .   Only different popularity conditions.

25 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Candy shop the same as LAP? C´mon

The same  musical quality. The same  intelligence. The same joy for a good listener. The same Madonna.

So much more sticky melody. So much more a pop lesson getting gold from a style that was giving very bad or mediocre things.

Less  mediatic popularity.  If people wants to just keep with that, it's their problem.

I love Rescue Me and its unconventional structure. However, I feel that 1990 was the best time to sing it live because at that time Madonna's voice had reached its maximum power. If Madonna decided to sing it on this 2023 tour, perhaps it would be better if she omitted the final part of the song since it is the most vocally demanding. Although on second thought it would be a good idea to bring back this group of unknown women who appeared in Batuka's video and who accompanied her on the Madame X tour to sing that final part of the song all together. I remember seeing a video where they appeared sitting down singing Rescue Me and I really liked the result. What a pity that in the end nothing that was seen in the previews made it to the final version of the tour.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, like a light said:

Rescue Me just had the typical treatment for compilations second singles. I don't know why, but second singles of any artist compilations use to  have no videos, no huge promotion, so no huge popularity.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           We all should care less about numbers and insignificant rubbish and treat songs, albums artists as they fairly deserve.                                                                                                                                                                          

Rescue Me, Like A Prayer, Candy Shop, I Rise...  they are just the same in terms of quality and  "madonnism" .   Only different popularity conditions.

Ah that's so true - One More Chance and Revolver suffered the same fate didn't they? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Oh I definitely need to be rescued 

Immaculate collection was my first Madonna album besides bedtime stories and I'm breathless at the time and due to Pettibone really mixing all the singsbuo it feels like an album art in its own right ! Incredible stuff ... But rescue me as well as justify my love felt a great tease into the erotica era less than two years later but oh my days Rescue Me is like the forgotten hit yet it's from one of the biggest selling albums ever 

Unreal 

madonna_x_mickey_mouse_pop_art___vector_by_popartcartoons_d9etp8p-fullview.jpg

12 minutes ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

Oh I definitely need to be rescued 

Immaculate collection was my first Madonna album besides bedtime stories and I'm breathless at the time and due to Pettibone really mixing all the singsbuo it feels like an album art in its own right ! Incredible stuff ... But rescue me as well as justify my love felt a great tease into the erotica era less than two years later but oh my days Rescue Me is like the forgotten hit yet it's from one of the biggest selling albums ever 

Unreal 

madonna_x_mickey_mouse_pop_art___vector_by_popartcartoons_d9etp8p-fullview.jpg

The immaculate collection was my first GH of Madonna ..... This woman create so much......